Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #1
wrong generation

Social Networks:

removing the smog crap

has any one removed the smog stuff on their engine and still passed emissions. id really like to remove all of it off my 86 ta to make the engine and engine bay look better and easyer to work on. but not sure if ill pass emissions or not plus if i do will i have to put up with any legal bs like fines or such?
wrong generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
BigAls87Z28

I do remember that Tim...not the site owner, another one, has a 82 Z28 without any smog equipment, just a cat, and passed emissions. I dont think hes on this site, but Ill try and get him here.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

My friend told me, that you can remove all the air-injection and emmision pumps, and still pass with a catalytic converter. But if they do an under-hood inspection you will defenitly fail.

How much is done to the motor? Some cams and port jobs can cause excess emmisions.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
wrong generation

Social Networks:

as far as i know the guts of the motor are stock. i figure ill keep the cat i dont have a problem with that but would like to remove all the under the hood bs.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
HardcoreZ28

I'm gonna disagree with the above statement. Cams and portwork shouldn't make a computer controlled car not pass emissions if all of the equipment is there. My new 383 with the Super Ram 219 cam, and various other mods went through inspection posting only about 10% of the maximum emissions readings. Any engine that is running efficiently, no matter what parts are in it will pass emissions. The goal of a high performance engine to is make the most power possible, which means using all available fuel and air, which means nothing left unburn going through the exhaust.

I have heard of a lot of people pulling out the AIR system without a problem....just hope they don't do a visual. Other than that I'd keep everything else like EGR and cats and such. Just my two cents.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
wrong generation

Social Networks:

not sure if this makes a differance or not but i have a carb engine not a tpi engine. how often do they do a visual inspection ??
Old 09-23-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
HardcoreZ28

Still computer controlled to an extent I believe, but it may be tougher for you. As far as visual it's all luck. I just took my car and they didn't even bother to pop the hood despite the fact that the exhaust is so loud you couldn't even hear the guy next to you in the station.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #8
kamikaz

I agree with HardcoreZ28.if you have the right set up you should be fine.when i had my other 93Z28 with a Baby Lunati cam the car was cool with emissions,but when i went with the CC306 cam nobody would want to caravan down and be behind me.everyone said the car stunk and made everybodies eyes watery.
K&N intake,58mm TB,Flowmaster Exhaust,Custom shift kit,3000 stall Vigilante converter,4-inch VFN cowl hood,combat style wing,17 inch ROH wheels and a load of parts that i don\'t know what to do with yet.
http://members.cardomain.com/kamikaz28
previous car http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=46
kamikaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #9
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

heh yea i hear that. I have the cc306 and i just run rich at idle but its fine everywhere else. Did you have it dyno tuned? Mine had that same odor when I just had a mail away tune....u couldnt bare to be behind it when it was idling

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
kamikaz

Nah never had it dyno tuned but had it tuned with the DFI and took it to somebody who tuned it at the track and on the street every so often,but in the long run the combo i had wasnt so hot,but it put up some decent numbers,but i think it could have done better.

Santos
K&N intake,58mm TB,Flowmaster Exhaust,Custom shift kit,3000 stall Vigilante converter,4-inch VFN cowl hood,combat style wing,17 inch ROH wheels and a load of parts that i don\'t know what to do with yet.
http://members.cardomain.com/kamikaz28
previous car http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=46
kamikaz is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning