Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #76
rscamaro73

Quote:
Originally Posted by amargari View Post
Here's a page on how I fixed mine

http://www.apiem.com/camaro/SubframeRepair20060829.asp

I bought the Goodmark repair kit and it is not a direct fit. Just buy some steel and drill a hole in it.
Wow....now i wish I had a real garage...I coulda been busting this stuff out on my bodywork....

NASTY Z-28.com

My Cardomain site

"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered."
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
rscamaro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #77
B4C

Wow nice project. I dont know if you got your frame done yet but I had the same problem with my nova on the mounting holes. I bought a kit from year one to fix them and then took my frame to Nicks on 322 in williamstown and had him weld them on. When was assembling the front subframe for the nova I put the engine and trans in place first and then up the subframe back in much easire that way.
Herea a link to my photobucket mayeb some of the pics can give you some ideas.
If you need any help on the project let me know Im not far from sewell
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...evy/72%20Nova/
Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #78
usp55

ive not worked on the car in about 3 weeks. Been going out a lot lately and work has been very busy. slow 88 is gona help me fix that small rust problem on the frame but i have to get ahold of my neighbors suburban to move the frame to his shop and its just been hard to find the time dealing with three different schedules to get it done.

once i get the frame fixed it should just be a matter of me getting the time in the garage to have some fun and start rebuilding the front end.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #79
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

While you have the subframe out make sure you run some fresh beads where the seams are. The factory welds are covered in spatter and can be pretty weak.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #80
WildBillyT

Collin:

To clarify as per your PM:

The factory welds holding the frame together are not very good quality. Not only was it a fast paced environment at the time of production, welding technology was a little different back then. What you can do to beef up your subframe is run some beads at the subframe seams, where the two channels meet along the rails, around the upper control arm mounts, etc. You don't need to go crazy but it is pretty important if you plan on really driving the car hard.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #81
79T/A

Good info!
79T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #82
usp55

bill, again thanks as always. Nothing but great info
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #83
Frank drives a Firebird

No updates lately? I've enjoyed following this project

-1988 Iroc-Z Camaro up for parts. Grey on grey, T-top 5speed. PM me any and all questions/requests.
Frank drives a Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #84
usp55

yea sorry I've been really busy with work and funds had to reallocated to the camaro as i blew my trans last week.

the frame has been worked on by slow88 and he did an great job fixing that body mount and getting it back to its proper size. The frame is covered in por15 and i have the solid body mounts from here
http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/cha...omponents.html

its coming along and ill get some new pics to update the thread.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #85
usp55

small insignificant update just cause i have posted in a while. Frame has a been covered in por15, firewall has a semigloss coat of krylon, engine is painted with Pontiac light blue metallic, inner fenders are also painted semigloss.

solid bushings,chrome valve covers, water pump divider plate, motor mounts, gaskets, and some other things i cant think of at the moment all come tomorrow.

have a question about this rusted out part of the cooling system. on the rear of the engine, passenger side. whats the best way to take care of this problem? those heater hose fits on and i can clamp it without it leaking but id like to fix it.

Last edited by usp55; 04-30-2009 at 07:06 PM.
usp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #86
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I think that is a heater hose fitting, if so it screws into the block. Hard to say how thin it is at this point, I guess if it were mine I'd start by soaking PB blasters for a few days and maybe get vise grips on it.

Once it is out you can get mice stainless steel ones.

Very nice progress

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #87
usp55

thanks bonzo, heater hose nipple its called. just ordered one in.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #88
mc73nova

nice progress. a little different from the day I saw it!
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #89
Slow 88
11 Second Club

Looking good!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #90
zuuhlsT/A

So cool you are restoring this! You're taking your time and doing all the work properly. I always rush things and screw them up. Nice job and good luck. Can't wait to see it when it's done!
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, working on it
1990 Pontiac Trans AM WS6, Sold
2002 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk ,#1368 Sold
1995 Pontiac Trans Am, Traded for Hawk
1979 Pontiac Trans Am,Black, Never had a chance
1979 Pontiac Trans Am,Silver, Oak Tree in my way
1979 Pontiac Trans Am Red WS6 sold
zuuhlsT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #91
usp55

thanks guys, things should start to move a little faster as i finally recovered from my transmission going on the camaro.

had a quick question. I just got my solid body mounts in and i wasnt aware that i had an option as to how to install the frame back on the car. either stock height, 1/2" lower, or wedge the body (not even sure what that means). what exactly would lowering the frame do? I feel like it would just make the engine sit higher in the bay and cause clearance issues with the hood.

also any tips to getting the frame back on the car and making sure its aligned correctly?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #92
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp55 View Post
thanks guys, things should start to move a little faster as i finally recovered from my transmission going on the camaro.

had a quick question. I just got my solid body mounts in and i wasnt aware that i had an option as to how to install the frame back on the car. either stock height, 1/2" lower, or wedge the body (not even sure what that means). what exactly would lowering the frame do? I feel like it would just make the engine sit higher in the bay and cause clearance issues with the hood.

also any tips to getting the frame back on the car and making sure its aligned correctly?
You are correct. Everything will move up and it may create clearance issues. Stick with stock height. There are alignment holes next to the big holes on the mounts that correspond to holes on the body. You can use a screwdriver or make pins to get it square.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #93
usp55

thanks for the reply, i got it on - well almost. when i took the frame off a few months ago i popped the cage bolt on the pass. side by the firewall. no amount of pb blaster or heat could break it free and i ended up cutting the bolt out. how would u guys go about fixing this problem? the "cage" itself is up and only one side is welded down. the nut is out but has halt a bolt lodged in it. no hardware store has a similar nut. something tells me a normal nylon threaded bolt just isnt gona do the job

should i try to drill out the bolt? or do u have another option. couldnt find it on fastenals website but there is a store near me maybe they can help
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...99600086&Nty=0

also the directions i have that came with my solid mounts does not say anything about lock washers between the long bolts head and the large washer but every article or diagram online relating to poly mounts like energy suspension products includes lock washers. i picked some up but do u need them i guess is the question.

as always i really appreciate all the help from u guys
Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #94
WildBillyT

If you can see it (i.e. it's a front mount) then I'd cut out the cage and nut and replace it as a subassembly. That's what I did when I had the '69. I have DSE mounts and bolts on the Nova and I don't think they have lock washers.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM   #95
usp55

ill post a pic if i make it home tonight
Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #96
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Subframe info: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17406

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #97
usp55

So from what i read the cage itself is not important but really just to make things easier to remove and install. Now the nut is that big to spread the load and so couldnt i just take a large grade 8 washer and nylon threaded nut to do the same?
Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #98
BonzoHansen
Admin.

The cage holds the nut, once tight it is out of the game, so I guess you could. But if you need to remove the bolt for some reason later and can't get a wrench into there then you'll miss the cage.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #99
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
The cage holds the nut, once tight it is out of the game, so I guess you could. But if you need to remove the bolt for some reason later and can't get a wrench into there then you'll miss the cage.
Yep. As above, I'd replace the cage and nut and weld the cage down securely. If you want I guess you could weld a regular nut in there with no cage, but then you can't correct any alignment issues if the nut is off center.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #100
usp55

ok im gona run over to fastenal and see if they have something like the square nut.

if not yea i guess ur right id have to remove the fender and inner fender just to get at it. My only question is why would i ever have to move it? I took measurements from the firewall to the tip of the frame before i took it off so aslong as i get it back to those numbers than then everything should line up, should being the key word. plus i dont have anyway to weld that cage down.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Tags
project