Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Northstar01

Paint 1992 Heritage Z/28

Hey guys,

I'm Kevin. I was a regular posting member up until like a year ago. I had the black 88 Monte SS.

I need some advice from you guys. You are the go to guys. My son who is also on the boards has a 1992 Heritage z/28 that needs paint. It's a T-Tops car. I just got a quote of 3 grand for paint and to fix a number of small imperfections(scratches,rust spots). That would be paint and 2 coats of clear plus fixing the small imperfections. Is that a decent price?

If any of you guys paint and need the work hit me back.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
Northstar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
86ta-adf

It depends on how bad the imperfections are and where they are. And if it's a complete color change some shops charge more. Also depends on the color because some paint is more expensive than others.
99 Chevy Blazer a.k.a Racecar.
86ta-adf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Rich189
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Like posted above it depends... also I would not be happy with only 2 coats of clear I would want 4. I would pm hardcorez28 on the boards here he does fantastic work (he owns RPM customs)

2002 Trans am ws6.. black on black bolt ons with a JS built trans, 3200 stall,TTM's w/315's, full umi adj rear suspension, strano springs/sways, and koni 4/4's

2015 Forester XT touring... STI Sway bars
Rich189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Northstar01

They are really small imperfections. Probably the biggest the size of a fingernail. It's not a color change. Original Heritage colors. White/Red stripes. The guy told 500.00 for a gallon of paint just to start. I'll PM RPM customs.

Thanks for replying.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Paul does great work, and so does Summit Rod & Custom.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Northstar01

I just PM'd him. My sent messages still say 0. Is that right?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

my private messages do that to
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
HardcoreZ28

Just replied to your message

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
SRC
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Kevin
Depending on what your expectations are for the final product you can make a decision on what level of clear finishing you want. For example in a standard production shop two coats of medium solids clear will layout with similar appearance of a factory clear, IE similar levels of orange peal. In most production shops full body wet sanding is avoided due to the increase in labor and time. Now assuming the paint booth and painter runs into no dirt, dust type issues, runs etc they can deliver a car without wet sanding and you will have a clean finish.

In comparison most custom shops will approach clear layout in a different manor, one being the application of two coats of clear, wet sanding the car and then an application of one final coat followed by wet sanding and buffing. This provides a flatter clear finish. This step can also be repeated several times to produce even better results, again depending on what we are working with and what the budget is. In our case we always wet sand every project so the game plan begins with enough clear to wet sand and leave behind enough material.

If your sons goal is to have a clean factory appearing finish I would recommend that you have at least three coats of a high solids clear applied with one final wet sanding phase at the end. This will be the most cost effective approach with above average results. If there are rust repairs and other minor imperfections I would also review how they are going to be repaired with whomever you choose. Not knowing exactly what your project looks like now I can not comment on the price you have been quoted, however keep in mind that your final choices with regards to product type are an important one and in most cases increasing a budget by only a few hundred dollars can greatly increase the quality and longevity of the finish.

Last edited by SRC; 05-04-2011 at 06:40 AM.
SRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
Northstar01

Thanks everyone for your replies.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance