Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
RiggsLW81

scion tranny flush

friend has an 06 scion tc, 40k miles...takes the car to dealer for oil changes...took it this past week for standard oil change, and was told its time to flush/replace tranny fluid (its quite dirty) and was quoted $180 to do it..(hasn't done so yet).. i thought that was kinda high...

whats an average tranny fluid flush & change go for? say at a private garage over a dealer?
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

eh... they may require special fluid.

starting at work is 139 and up...

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
madness410

i got quoted at jiffy lube for to swap the tranny fluid for 60 bucks, not including a flsuh
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Check your warranty info before you cheap out. If you put the wrong fluid in and it blows up Scion is gonna tell you to kick rocks.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
maroman88
12 Second Club

i got mine done in the TA for 79.99 at "that 10 minute oil change place" in rochelle park lol
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
NastyEllEssWon

scions have regular old toyota motors under the hoods. nothing is different about them except the image.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
BigAls87Z28

Correct. The Scion follows Toyota service interval on tranny fluid. Nothing really special. Toyota's trans fluid service intervals are in the 40-60k mile range, depending on model.

At Sears, we used a full sythetic trans fluid by Valvoline and it was 100 bucks for your average car. Replaced 95-98% of the fluid.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Blacdout96

I work at Shore Toyota a.k.a , New Jersey's largest sheister Toyota Dealership. Right now I'm doing service calls to customer's who bought what is known as a prepaid maintenance program, yet I keep getting now and then calls about people getting charged for stuff. Here they bring you in under this program, and then tell you ,"oh well this needs to be done", or ,"oh you're at a certain mileage, this has to be done", and proceeds to do it and charge them. They wouldn't tell you about something that is free unless they were gonna make a dollar off of it, even though you already paid for the program.

Scion tC's are ok cars, they are a Celica chassis (tC stands for Toyota Celica) motor and all. When you go to a dealership, there are no sales, or incentives, and you cannot negotiate the price, because that price on the window is set. We have a contract with Scion, and if we discount the vehicles, we would get in big big trouble, even though they are a subsidiary of Toyota. There's nothing special about the fluid, its the same style transmission as in the Toyota Celica's to what we are told. When you buy a Scion, you have three initial options. What model, what color, and what transmission, after that they give you a checkoff sheet for you to choose what parts you want on your car, and then we install them at the dealership ( to which we make a good profit off of that).

I hate working there, and am transferring jobs soon because of working there. I hate lying to people to get them to come in and buy a car we dont even have. I will be bringing my scripts home one day, and copying, and pasting online for you all to read, and understand our techniques to make you buy. The scripts have been purposely made to play with your mind, and they only hire people who can make it sound believeably like we are speaking to you normally, like theres no script (damn my drama/acting classes in highschool).

So yeah, as far as im concerned, you could do it yourself, but if you feel weary, just have them do it, cause Scion is very anal about their cars, unless the dealership installs the parts, or do the maintenance, if they find out you did it, you're boned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
BigAls87Z28

To do a full trans fluid exchange, your average person cannot.
Drain and fill does not equal full fluid exchange, and that is what is recommended by Toyota. And in the end, they decide whats coverd under warranty and whats not.
I wouldnt recommend you going to a dealer, but I would recommend sticking to the recommended service intervals.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Blacdout96

Oh thats right, they wanted to flush it as well. I've never had good experiences with having trans flushed. And as I stated before, Scion is different then Toyota to us, their warrenties, and what is covered, and what they think what would void and what wouldn't is a little different because if the type of crowd they try to appeal to (Teens/Tuner fans). I do agree with the person shopping around to get a better deal.

Quote:
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
NastyEllEssWon

ive heard some things about flushing a tranny removes some good things as well....clutch pack liners or something..im not sure...ive just heard of some higher miled cars being flushed and slipping afterwards.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
BigAls87Z28

What we were taught, was that as time goes on, the clutch packs wear down, and the fluid suspends the particles along with dirt, etc etc and the tollerances start to loosen. But since the fluid has all this stuff in it, it takes up the space and gives you the feeling of a working tranny when in fact the parts have worn down signifigantly.
When you replace all that fluid, now all the parts are loose and the tranny starts to slip.
Replace the fluid every 50-60k, even if the car is not required, especialy if you want to keep the car for a long time.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

this isn't one of those ****ed up no dipstick ford like trannys, right?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #14
Clutch Master

If its an 06 then you have WS fluid and there is no need for a flush till 100,000 miles and at that time it can only be replaced with the same WS fluid. If you put another fluid in it or if the flush is done wrong you will get a check engine light.

By the way what dealer did you take it to because i'm a tech in a bergen county toyota dealership.....
2002 Silver Pontiac Trans Am #8150
Clutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
Clutch Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
I work at Shore Toyota a.k.a , New Jersey's largest sheister Toyota Dealership. Right now I'm doing service calls to customer's who bought what is known as a prepaid maintenance program, yet I keep getting now and then calls about people getting charged for stuff. Here they bring you in under this program, and then tell you ,"oh well this needs to be done", or ,"oh you're at a certain mileage, this has to be done", and proceeds to do it and charge them. They wouldn't tell you about something that is free unless they were gonna make a dollar off of it, even though you already paid for the program.

Scion tC's are ok cars, they are a Celica chassis (tC stands for Toyota Celica) motor and all. When you go to a dealership, there are no sales, or incentives, and you cannot negotiate the price, because that price on the window is set. We have a contract with Scion, and if we discount the vehicles, we would get in big big trouble, even though they are a subsidiary of Toyota. There's nothing special about the fluid, its the same style transmission as in the Toyota Celica's to what we are told. When you buy a Scion, you have three initial options. What model, what color, and what transmission, after that they give you a checkoff sheet for you to choose what parts you want on your car, and then we install them at the dealership ( to which we make a good profit off of that).

I hate working there, and am transferring jobs soon because of working there. I hate lying to people to get them to come in and buy a car we dont even have. I will be bringing my scripts home one day, and copying, and pasting online for you all to read, and understand our techniques to make you buy. The scripts have been purposely made to play with your mind, and they only hire people who can make it sound believeably like we are speaking to you normally, like theres no script (damn my drama/acting classes in highschool).

So yeah, as far as im concerned, you could do it yourself, but if you feel weary, just have them do it, cause Scion is very anal about their cars, unless the dealership installs the parts, or do the maintenance, if they find out you did it, you're boned.

well if you have the autocare plan its only covered for free oil changes and tire rotations and if you get the top of the line plan they change filters but thats it. all other maintenance that can be done the customer has to pay for when its needed....
Old 04-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Master View Post
well if you have the autocare plan its only covered for free oil changes and tire rotations and if you get the top of the line plan they change filters but thats it. all other maintenance that can be done the customer has to pay for when its needed....
Wow that's a ****** "autocare plan"
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #17
Blacdout96

For our dealership we have the Prepaid Maintenance, which is Oil/filter change, Lubricate the key chassis points, and the 19 point inspection, after that the customer pays, and it's not a cheap plan either, but our salesmen slide it in while the deal is going down, so half the time people don't even know they have it. It's a ****** plan, IMO

Quote:
Old 04-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #18
Clutch Master

Quote:
For our dealership we have the Prepaid Maintenance, which is Oil/filter change, Lubricate the key chassis points, and the 19 point inspection, after that the customer pays, and it's not a cheap plan either, but our salesmen slide it in while the deal is going down, so half the time people don't even know they have it. It's a ****** plan, IMO

yeah its a crap plan.....
Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #19
Blacdout96

Where you work at , runnamede ( dont know how to spell it) Toyota?

Quote:
Old 04-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
Clutch Master

Quote:
Where you work at , runnamede ( dont know how to spell it) Toyota?

Nah Parkway Toyota in englewood cliffs near the GWB
Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
RiggsLW81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
this isn't one of those ****ed up no dipstick ford like trannys, right?
no, it definately has a trans dispstick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Master
By the way what dealer did you take it to because i'm a tech in a bergen county toyota dealership.....
East Coast Toyota & Scion on Route 17 South.. do you know anyone over there?

Last edited by RiggsLW81; 04-15-2009 at 03:08 PM.
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge