Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #76
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
That blue is sharp, we sold one with the black wheel option the other day, guy traded in a 700 mile '14 white Z/28 for it. I made sure I drove it for, ahem, safety purposes before my tech safety checked it.
Did he find out the Z28 is not a daily driver?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #77
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
He has a ton of $$, wanted a 6thgen and bought one.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 01-09-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:45 AM   #78
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
OK, and? $50K isn't NEW C7 territory. $50K is also a ridicuously optioned 6thgen with a pointless 6 pot caliper upgrade a silly $2K black wheel option.

If you stick with a 2SS, NPP exhaust, NAV and the Magnetic Ride setup you're closer to $46-47K, WAY below a base C7 price tag no matter how you slice it.

You can't compare to the two, IMO I'd never DD a C7, or any Corvette for that matter(yes, I did on my '98 but I was young and didn't care), a Camaro you could...so that practicality issue now comes to the forefront.

I'm not saying you should fall in love with the 6thgen, I'm still on the fence about the looks but you CANNOT argue the performance and quality of it....it's A LOT better and nicer than the 5th's(and I absolutely love my 5th, especially the mods, the way it sits etc) but facts are fact. A few magazines(take it for what it's worth) have even said forget the Camaro going after the Mustang, it should go Euro hunting...to me that says a lot.

Magazine though don't mean ****, I've driven these cars, performance and quality wise they're the real deal...but everyone in internet land can assume, form opinions, and judge without even seeing one in person let alone driving one.

This is just my opinion and experiences with the car and industry, we all have opinions, take it for what it's worth.

My point was that at 40k for a Camaro its not that far of a stretch to reach for the Corvette, especially when Ford and Dodge are offering v8's starting in the low 30s. I havent seen any v8 Camaros for under 40k at all. Camaro just seems a bit overpriced when it competition is nicer (imo).

like BLS said though, looks are subjective...as are options...but the Camaro used to be king of the bang for your buck...now its nothing of the sort.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #79
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
There is a guy near me with an Audi R8 V10 that uses it as a daily. As in drives it in the snow.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #80
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
There is a guy near me with an Audi R8 V10 that uses it as a daily. As in drives it in the snow.
Guy used to have only a lambo and maserati as his transportation. Now its only a mclaren....Can't say I have seen it in the snow but this is his second one.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #81
The_Bishop
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
My point was that at 40k for a Camaro its not that far of a stretch to reach for the Corvette, especially when Ford and Dodge are offering v8's starting in the low 30s. I havent seen any v8 Camaros for under 40k at all. Camaro just seems a bit overpriced when it competition is nicer (imo).

like BLS said though, looks are subjective...as are options...but the Camaro used to be king of the bang for your buck...now its nothing of the sort.
First off: Are you nuts? Entry level for a new Corvette is $56k. Entry level V8 Camaro is $37k. Maybe I'm not rolling as deep as you but $19k is a pretty big chunk of change.

Entry level Challenger is $32k. But it's also 80 HP shy of the Camaro and weighs a lot more, in a platform that hasn't had any major innovations for 10 years. To get into the HP range of the Camaro you're up to $40k in a heavier car, and if you're into modding good luck; the PCM is locked up tighter than fort knox and requires hardware modifications to be programmed.

Entry level Mustang is $33k. It's 20 HP and 40 foot-pounds of torque behind in the power department, with a rev-happy and peaky powerplant. I know in the past they've been haunted by transmission issues, not sure if they're using the same transmissions in the new ones.

Are there cheaper pony car offerings? Yes, with trade-offs. Ultimately you need to decide what works for you. I don't think the price in the Camaro is way out of line, especially when you start comparing prices of vehicles in general across the board.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #82
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Huh, when we said things about the portly sized fifth gen you said we were nuts.

You are nuts. You're still nuts because I didn't mention anything about the 5th gen being "portly sized". The 6th gen has the same concept-like look that the 5th gen, just smaller.
I said that the 6th gen is noticeably smaller than the 5th gen when sitting next to it and made no reference to it being better or worse. I love the smaller look, but that doesn't make the 5th gen worse. The design changes are also great and not as retro-related as the past but it is still very Camaro.

As for there being "cheaper" alternatives, sure you can get a Challenger RT that makes 375hp for 6k less and it's a Challenger. To get to SS level performance, you need to drop $44k and it still won't beat the Camaro at 44k. Mustang has a base model V8 car for 33k but is heavier and does not perform as well as the SS for only $5k more.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #83
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I hear what the bishop is preachin!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #84
NastyEllEssWon

I guess I just personally feel like the Camaro is overpriced because its the ugliest of the bunch, so it should be better performing for the same price to make up for what it lacks in the looks department compared to the Stangs and Challengers. It's easier to strap on extra horsepower with aftermarket mods than it is to figure out a way to make the Camaros look halfway decent.

Especially when the price of a new Camaro is so close to the Corvettes these days.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #85
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I just personally feel like the Camaro is overpriced because its the ugliest of the bunch, so it should be better performing for the same price to make up for what it lacks in the looks department compared to the Stangs and Challengers. It's easier to strap on extra horsepower with aftermarket mods than it is to figure out a way to make the Camaros look halfway decent.

Especially when the price of a new Camaro is so close to the Corvettes these days.
Is 15 to 20k closely priced to you? Figuring for every thousand financed you are looking at $25 to $30 added to the monthly note, that's easily $375 a month difference in payment. Yes that could be less leased but not by much. Not figuring the insurance premium as well.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 01-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #86
wrong generation

Social Networks:

Quote:
I guess I just personally feel like the Camaro is overpriced

its not just the camaro they are all over priced even the corvette.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #87
The_Bishop
Power Member

Quote:
I guess I just personally feel like the Camaro is overpriced because its the ugliest of the bunch

Quote:
It's easier to strap on extra horsepower with aftermarket mods than it is to figure out a way to make the Camaros look halfway decent.
Are you even reading what's been posted? Adding 80 HP is not 'easy' with the Challenger, and you're tossing your powertrain warranty in the trash when you try. The PCM cannot be tuned without actually hardware modifying the PCM itself, or buying another one. That puts you in the $1K mark, just to be able to tune. Doesn't touch the cost of the other parts or the tune itself. Also, have fun finding a shop to tune the Mopar stuff, they're few and far between just because of these issues.

As far as the torque deficit in the mustang, unless you're adding forced induction ($5K+ and bye-bye warranty) or turning the motor into a stroker (see previous parenthesis), there is no replacement for displacement.

Adding power without major mods is not 'easy' anymore. The motors coming out these days are pretty damn optimized by the factory, out of the box.

Quote:
Again, LOLWHUT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Entry level for a new Corvette is $56k. Entry level V8 Camaro is $37k.
Comparison on chevy.com.

Go ahead, look it up. We'll wait.

That's $19k. Here's a simple numeric line diagram:

$37k ---------------$56k

Numbers to the right are higher than the numbers to the left.

In all seriousness, they're not in the same ballpark. The vehicles are in two different categories, as far as utility and performance go.

The problem is, dealers don't order base cars. They add every damn option under the sun in the highest trim models for the lot, because they've got the 'wow' factor and the highest profit margins. Easy fix, requires a bit of patience? Order what you want.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:

Last edited by The_Bishop; 01-11-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #88
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:

Are you even reading what's been posted? Adding 80 HP is not 'easy' with the Challenger, and you're tossing your powertrain warranty in the trash when you try. The PCM cannot be tuned without actually hardware modifying the PCM itself, or buying another one. That puts you in the $1K mark, just to be able to tune. Doesn't touch the cost of the other parts or the tune itself. Also, have fun finding a shop to tune the Mopar stuff, they're few and far between just because of these issues.

As far as the torque deficit in the mustang, unless you're adding forced induction ($5K+ and bye-bye warranty) or turning the motor into a stroker (see previous parenthesis), there is no replacement for displacement.

Adding power without major mods is not 'easy' anymore. The motors coming out these days are pretty damn optimized by the factory, out of the box.

Again, LOLWHUT?

Comparison on chevy.com.

Go ahead, look it up. We'll wait.

That's $19k. Here's a simple numeric line diagram:

$37k ---------------$56k

Numbers to the right are higher than the numbers to the left.

In all seriousness, they're not in the same ballpark. The vehicles are in two different categories, as far as utility and performance go.

The problem is, dealers don't order base cars. They add every damn option under the sun in the highest trim models for the lot, because they've got the 'wow' factor and the highest profit margins. Easy fix, requires a bit of patience? Order what you want.

See I guess we just see things differently. I see 40k for a Camaro and see 8k worth of stuff I dont want on the car to get a little bit extra performance. Anything over 350hp is sufficient to me so I dont really care about the performance...if Im spending 30k+ Im getting something that I enjoy the looks of. Which means if I'm in a Chevy dealership looking at Camaros and nothing is popping out at me, Im walking right past it and into the Corvette stable. I can deal with a plastic interior and a car that cant handle...what I cant deal with is spending 30k on a Camaro and walking out with a four cylinder car. I just wish their entry level v8s were a bit more....ENTRY LEVEL

Edit: Im also VERY certain that the extra 8k you save on buying a Camaro would do well in a supercharger kit for the Challenger or Mustang. Just saying.

Last edited by NastyEllEssWon; 01-11-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #89
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
See I guess we just see things differently. I see 40k for a Camaro and see 8k worth of stuff I dont want on the car to get a little bit extra performance. Anything over 350hp is sufficient to me so I dont really care about the performance...if Im spending 30k+ Im getting something that I enjoy the looks of. Which means if I'm in a Chevy dealership looking at Camaros and nothing is popping out at me, Im walking right past it and into the Corvette stable. I can deal with a plastic interior and a car that cant handle...what I cant deal with is spending 30k on a Camaro and walking out with a four cylinder car. I just wish their entry level v8s were a bit more....ENTRY LEVEL

Edit: Im also VERY certain that the extra 8k you save on buying a Camaro would do well in a supercharger kit for the Challenger or Mustang. Just saying.
WHAT THE **** ARE YOU SAYING!?!?!?!?!?

"I'm spending 30k+ I'm getting something that I enjoy the looks of" And "corvette" do not go together If I'm spending 30k and I have to double my budget to satisfy my taste, I'm being a trollolol
Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #90
NastyEllEssWon

No Im saying that Camaro needs an entry level v8 closer to the Mustang and the Challenger because the cost to step into a v8 Camaro is in Corvette territory, which it really is. It's overpriced compared to its competition which imo looks better. Thats my point. I like the Camaro's powertrain...I just dont like the package its offered in and if you're going to spend 40 grand on a car, you better enjoy the ENTIRE package, which is what the Corvette offers. If you have 40+ grand for a car, you have 50 grand for a car. Simple as that.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #91
elle

Good God
Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #92
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Have we discussed the easy of cleaning the exhaust tips on either the Vette or Camaro? I didn't see it mentioned but this is a big sticking point.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 01-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #93
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
No Im saying that Camaro needs an entry level v8 closer to the Mustang and the Challenger because the cost to step into a v8 Camaro is in Corvette territory, which it really is. It's overpriced compared to its competition which imo looks better. Thats my point. I like the Camaro's powertrain...I just dont like the package its offered in and if you're going to spend 40 grand on a car, you better enjoy the ENTIRE package, which is what the Corvette offers. If you have 40+ grand for a car, you have 50 grand for a car. Simple as that.
If you have 40+ grand for a car, you are a billionaire.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #94
The_Bishop
Power Member

Quote:

The price difference between the Camaro and the competition is 4-5k *at most*.

The 1SS is *not* $40k. It's $37k. You are *not* buying a new corvette for $40k. You're not getting one for $50k, either. It's $56k.

Here's something that will blow your mind: They both have the same engine! So, to use your logic, you're paying an extra $19k for two less seats, less storage, and it's more or less unusable in the winter. What a piece of crap!

Anyway, I'm going to guess that you're pretty young and not terribly versed in credit and/or financing things. Looking at some of your past posts shows that your judgement may not be the best when it comes to credit.

There is a *world* of difference between financing a $37k car and a $56k car.
Example:

Camaro with $3700 (10%) down, 3.11% interest, 5 year financing: $600/mo.

Corvette with $5600 (10%) down, 3.11% interest, 5 year financing: $908/mo.

I don't know about you, but that extra $308 (51%!) a month is a pretty ****ing huge jump. As in, buy a second new small car for daily beater status jump.

But hey, what do I know? I bought a $30k truck, so I must be a millionaire.

Quote:

Last edited by The_Bishop; 01-11-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #95
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

The price difference is enough to buy another brand new car for daily use.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #96
The_Bishop
Power Member

Quote:
Old 01-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #97
wrong generation

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
If you have 40+ grand for a car, you are a billionaire.
you just about have to be a billionair to buy cars which use to be affordable.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #98
BigAls87Z28

Folks, this is a moot point.

The Camaro could be $3,700 and Nasty wouldn't even glance towards it. He doesn't like the car's looks, and that's fine, but price is not the deciding factor here.

Some people just want to buy Challengers and plow into corners or buy a Mustang that weighs as much as a 5th gen without the performance and twice the price.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #99
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:

Camaro with $3700 (10%) down, 3.11% interest, 5 year financing: $600/mo.

Corvette with $5600 (10%) down, 3.11% interest, 5 year financing: $908/mo.

I don't know about you, but that extra $308 (51%!) a month is a pretty ****ing huge jump. As in, buy a second new small car for daily beater status jump.

But hey, what do I know? I bought a $30k truck, so I must be a millionaire.

If you can afford $600 a month you can afford $900 a month. If you're taking on a car payment for $600 a month and you dont have another few hundred dollar buffer each month, then you cant afford a $600 car payment either. that is unless you want to go paycheck to paycheck. Also if you're buying a $40k car and only putting 3 grand down on the car...you can't afford that car either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Folks, this is a moot point.

He doesn't like the car's looks, and that's fine, but price is not the deciding factor here.

He makes a fine point. The price isn't a deciding factor here, the point im trying to make is that what was once the best bang for your buck historically,
is no longer a great deal compared to the competition and is no longer an entry level v8 performance vehicle....which is what the Camaro was originally
intended for. The fact that you can get a Corvette with minimal effort instead, is a very weak point for Chevy...IMO.

Last edited by NastyEllEssWon; 01-12-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #100
V
Stalker

I was thinking by the time my lease is up, my son will move up to a forward facing car seat and as my personal car, (wife has a crv) I could make due with a Camaro still. Im not sure if I would buy my current one or buy a 2016. So, last night I was on chevy's website building different versions of the car. I started with the cheapest possible version..

Cheapest camaro:
4cyl 2.0L turbo, manual trans, 18" wheels, 7" color touch screen radio. ~$27K

Not bad to be honest, several color choices too, I'd choose white.
But then I realized I'd want the RS package. The base has horrible lights so the RS package is a must and adds $1,950. (20" wheels, led lights, HIDs, grille, spoiler)
Now I'd be just under 29K. Still not horrible.

But then I got to thinking... the 3.6l v6 is only a $1,495 option. That's 60 more hp for 1500 bucks, Why the hell not, lol. Might as well add in the 4 piston brembo package and extra cooling stuff for $485.

Now I'm at about almost 31K...

At that point I figured for about 6k more, I could step up into a V8...
No RS package needed/available because the v8s come with the upgraded lighting.
so now I can get a 1SS for 37.3K with cool hood vents and nicer front bumper.

So now my "basic" camaro is at 37.3K
Magnetic ride control is the only real option I'd go for, and at $1,700, its a deal.

After all that, the price is now 39K. A decent jump up from the original 27k, but when you think what that 12 grand gives you over the cheapest version, it is worth it. (leds, HIDs, 20" wheels, 8" screen radio, spoiler, 160 more hp) But still not easy to accept.

Now at this point, I could see myself going for a 1SS in a year from now, maybe even a used one by then. But then I got to thinking, If I'm dropping that kind of money, mid-high 30s for my next car, I should really consider one of my other options/desires, a used 2009-2013 CTS-V. They can be found for the same price range, 4-door so better for a family, would have leather, and imo look slightly more sinister than a new camaro.

Or do i just buy my current camaro for 16k...

I have some thinking to do...

Last edited by V; 01-12-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge