Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > NJFBOA Forums > Club and Website Support

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #101
enRo
13 Second Club

Well, if they really wanted to, they can just delete the lounge, and keep it to just a tech-oriented forum. That would eliminate half of the problems NJFBOA has.

**Post moved from another thread where it became irrelevant due to it's relevance here**

Last edited by Tru2Chevy; 02-15-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Moved by admin....
enRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #102
RiggsLW81

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
The powers to be are trying to balance shielding the nonsense that is the lounge from future members while at the same time trying hard not to lose the current members. Its a tough call, but I think setting the lounge to private won't hurt either side, if you really think logging in is such a hassle, well I dunno what to tell you. Seems like making a mountain out of a mole hole or whatever that is.
"Shieding" from the lounge nonsense? If you want to "sheild" people from nonsense, you need to look elsewhere than the lounge. there is numerous examples of it in other sections. as someone pointed out (i dont remember who), this is a site for fans of the f-body platform. thats the way i see it. there are people here with all levels of tech knowledge, from novice, to expert. there is also people here, with no knowledge at all, who just like the cars because they like them, and thats good enough for me.

the BS that goes on here is the 'clique-y' high school crap like when someone says something outside the popular consensus, and 10 clique members all jump on them. its happened to me, and im sure its happened to other people. i shrug it off as a bunch of internet tough guys. i dont live on this board day-in and day-out. i have other things more important in my life than the opinions of those on this board. however, i love the f-bodies, and i want to share my thoughts, opinions, and info, with (what i thought) was like minded people. some people here are very genuine, but plenty are assclowns. i may not post alot, or go to every meet (mostly because my schedule doesn't allow it), but i do enjoy checking the boards during the week when i have some free time, and see what fellow f body enthusiasts are up to.

does this make me less of a member than the guy who posts every day in every section and attends every meet?

so in close. its not that logging in was hard (and i never said it was if you check my original post), i said i use a shared computer and therefore, dont save any passwords. (which is what promopted me to start this thread). im not making a mountain out of a mole hill, but im not gonna bend over and take other members 'more valuable opinions' as fact, when all it is, is just that...AN OPINION.

Another trip inside the acid bath..no salvation and the grave is coming fast..
RiggsLW81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #103
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggsLW81 View Post
"Shieding" from the lounge nonsense? If you want to "sheild" people from nonsense, you need to look elsewhere than the lounge. there is numerous examples of it in other sections. as someone pointed out (i dont remember who), this is a site for fans of the f-body platform. thats the way i see it. there are people here with all levels of tech knowledge, from novice, to expert. there is also people here, with no knowledge at all, who just like the cars because they like them, and thats good enough for me.

the BS that goes on here is the 'clique-y' high school crap like when someone says something outside the popular consensus, and 10 clique members all jump on them. its happened to me, and im sure its happened to other people. i shrug it off as a bunch of internet tough guys. i dont live on this board day-in and day-out. i have other things more important in my life than the opinions of those on this board. however, i love the f-bodies, and i want to share my thoughts, opinions, and info, with (what i thought) was like minded people. some people here are very genuine, but plenty are assclowns. i may not post alot, or go to every meet (mostly because my schedule doesn't allow it), but i do enjoy checking the boards during the week when i have some free time, and see what fellow f body enthusiasts are up to.

does this make me less of a member than the guy who posts every day in every section and attends every meet?

so in close. its not that logging in was hard (and i never said it was if you check my original post), i said i use a shared computer and therefore, dont save any passwords. (which is what promopted me to start this thread). im not making a mountain out of a mole hill, but im not gonna bend over and take other members 'more valuable opinions' as fact, when all it is, is just that...AN OPINION.
There are two factors at work here. One is what goes on in the lounge, and the other is the "cliquey" stuff you are speaking of. Both are not good but have to be dealt with using reason and a clear head.

This is not a mountain/molehill deal, it just got spun that way. Nothing has caught any of the mods or admins off guard because none of it is new to us. We've gone through all of this before many times.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #104
j0n

Just a bit of helpful advise... If the NJFBOA admins are really interested in changing the direction of this website(because what it's become is exactly what it started as... and any deviation from that is a HUGE change), maybe you should end your hypocrisy first. Here are 56 examples that support my position: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/member.php?u=4066

Allowing nonsense like that to exist, only to keep an "older member" on the roster seems ridiculous, no?

Last edited by j0n; 02-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.
j0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #105
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n View Post
Just a bit of helpful advise... If the NJFBOA admins are really interested in changing the direction of this website(because what it's become is exactly what it started as... and any deviation from that is a HUGE change), maybe you should end your hypocrisy first. Here are 56 examples that support my position: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/member.php?u=4066

Allowing nonsense like that to exist, only to keep an "older member" on the roster seems ridiculous, no?
What's nonsensical about it? Because he has poor grammar and doesn't conform to your style of writing? He isn't offensive and he conforms to our rules which is why he stays around. I am yet to see a problem, although I do see a problem with kicking him off for a nonexistent rule (which would also create complaints from certain peoples).

See the problem here?

Last edited by qwikz28; 02-27-2010 at 02:22 PM.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #106
j0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
What's nonsensical about it? Because he has poor grammar and doesn't conform to your style of writing? He isn't offensive and he conforms to our rules which is why he stays around. I am yet to see a problem, although I do see a problem with kicking him off for a nonexistent rule (which would also create complaints from certain peoples).

See the problem here?
Everything in this thread is about making this forum appear less "childish". Look at his posts and tell me that's not childish. And "poor grammar" along with "style of grammar" is stretching it pretty far...
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #107
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Everything in this thread is about making this forum appear less "childish". Look at his posts and tell me that's not childish. And "poor grammar" along with "style of grammar" is stretching it pretty far...
I understand what you are saying, but the issue is singling out people. That simply cannot be done unless there is a rule. A grammar rule (or whatever you want to call it) would be slightly ridiculous wouldn't you say? It's all about uniformity, hence why we make a rule system that we adhere to. Again, I see what you are saying, and as much as I'd like to force maturity and proper grammar for the forum, it just isn't fair.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #108
mc73nova

Quote:
I understand what you are saying, but the issue is singling out people. That simply cannot be done unless there is a rule. A grammar rule (or whatever you want to call it) would be slightly ridiculous wouldn't you say? It's all about uniformity, hence why we make a rule system that we adhere to. Again, I see what you are saying, and as much as I'd like to force maturity and proper grammar for the forum, it just isn't fair.
I understand you dont want to single people out, but j0n is right. His/Her posts are non sense, they may mean something to him/her because he/she knows what he/she was writing. But, to have the next one, two or three posts quoting him to try and figure out what exactly he/she just said is taking away from the actual thread itself. He/She could be the nicest person in the world, who knows, I just think it is a little out of control.

I am not saying to kick him/her off, simply pm him/her saying to use actual words so people can understand it.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins

Last edited by mc73nova; 02-27-2010 at 06:55 PM.
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #109
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc73nova View Post
I understand you dont want to single people out, but j0n is right. His/Her posts are non sense, they may mean something to him/her because he/she knows what he/she was writing. But, to have the next one, two or three posts quoting him to try and figure out what exactly he/she just said is taking away from the actual thread itself. He/She could be the nicest person in the world, who knows, I just think it is a little out of control.

I am not saying to kick him/her off, simply pm him/her saying to use actual words so people can understand it.
j0n has a point, but quite frankly, you don't. You came in here claiming some sort of authority to dictate who is right and who is wrong. j0n came in with an argument, you came in with a conclusory statement. But, I will humor you. How do you propose we enforce your new policy? Whoever isn't to your liking we tell them? What will that fix? Where do we draw the line? And who will be grading everyone's post, Diana Hacker?

PS- I had to reread one of your sentences because it was missing a comma, please be more careful next time (not serious obviously, but I hope you see the point)

Last edited by qwikz28; 02-27-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #110
mc73nova

Quote:
j0n has a point, but quite frankly, you don't. You came in here claiming some sort of authority to dictate who is right and who is wrong. j0n came in with an argument, you came in with a conclusory statement. But, I will humor you. How do you propose we enforce your new policy? Whoever isn't to your liking we tell them? What will that fix? Where do we draw the line? And who will be grading everyone's post, Diana Hacker?

PS- I had to reread one of your sentences because it was missing a comma, please be more careful next time (not serious obviously, but I hope you see the point)
Since you're only humoring me there is really no point in me continuing but I'll humor everyone else. The policy would be quite simple. If your text has to be explained because your post is unreadable, it will be removed. Not everyone here including myself uses perfect grammar, Im sure everyone will pick this apart once I am done. Misspelling a word with letters than sound similar happens all the time, most of the time on purpose. There are reasons for sign language, brail and so on. CHKNHWK's (not sure what the actual screen name is) posts dont have a purpose, it is just a bunch of nonsense and smilie faces. Again I have nothing against the person, just the fact that his text is about as useful as me just writing this entire post with x's and o's, you would have no clue what I was trying to say.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #111
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Since you're only humoring me there is really no point in me continuing but I'll humor everyone else. The policy would be quite simple. If your text has to be explained because your post is unreadable, it will be removed. Not everyone here including myself uses perfect grammar, Im sure everyone will pick this apart once I am done. Misspelling a word with letters than sound similar happens all the time, most of the time on purpose. There are reasons for sign language, brail and so on. CHKNHWK's (not sure what the actual screen name is) posts dont have a purpose, it is just a bunch of nonsense and smilie faces. Again I have nothing against the person, just the fact that his text is about as useful as me just writing this entire post with x's and o's, you would have no clue what I was trying to say.
So only his posts are unacceptable? I just don't understand how you propose we enforce this new regulation? Trust me, nonsensical posts bother me just as much as you, but until a reasonable solution is established, it will have to remain.

The admins and mods are discussing it though. When a fair and reasonable solution is established, we will put you all on notice.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #112
enRo
13 Second Club

Ok, time to voice my opinion......

NJFBOA does not need grammar police. All we need is someone who has broken English sign up, make a few posts, and have them deleted because English is not their primary language, or doesn't make any sense. That's discrimination. For the people that DO speak/type English, and make no sense at all, there is an ignore button if their posts are continually frustrating to you. Internet forums aren't full of dictionary-hugging people.

Carry On.

Last edited by enRo; 02-27-2010 at 11:34 PM.
enRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #113
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by enRo View Post

NJFBOA does not need grammar police. All we need is someone who has broken English sign up, make a few posts, and have them deleted because English is not their primary language, or doesn't make any sense. That's discrimination. For the people that DO speak/type English, and make no sense at all, there is an ignore button if their posts are continually frustrating to you. Internet forums aren't full of dictionary-hugging people.

Carry On.
speaking of the ignore button, the current one is useless, as you still see that the post is there, and who posted it.... most of the time i used to just click it and see if it made any sense anyway.....

also when someone posts something so stupid/crazy that six people quote it, the ignore was useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #114
mc73nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by enRo View Post

Carry On.
In no way am I trying to be a ****. Not having complete knowledge of the English language and typing in broken English because it is not their primary language is one thing. Typing in smilie faces is a language? Where? Thats not discrimination that is rediculous. I'll just use the ignore button from now on.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #115
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Typing in smilie faces is a language? Where? Thats not discrimination that is rediculous.
I was just using a non-english member as an example. I wasn't making reference to chknhwk or however its spelled.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #116
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I don't remember one reported post regarding the user in question. Nor have I seen one PM sent to me on the topic. That is the best way to get our attention on such a matter. But why do it the right way when you have a soap box to stand on, I suppose. It is much easier to take pot shots when you are unwilling to get involved in a more constructive manner. I don't know, perhaps it has been brought up on the side, but not to my knowledge.

I am going to send the user involved a note because it obviously bothers members, and to a degree I agree. Its more than a matter of basic grammar.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #117
j0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I don't remember one reported post regarding the user in question. Nor have I seen one PM sent to me on the topic. That is the best way to get our attention on such a matter. But why do it the right way when you have a soap box to stand on, I suppose. It is much easier to take pot shots when you are unwilling to get involved in a more constructive manner. I don't know, perhaps it has been brought up on the side, but not to my knowledge.

I am going to send the user involved a note because it obviously bothers members, and to a degree I agree. Its more than a matter of basic grammar.
You make me laugh bozo. What happened to the fancy shmancy new infraction system?

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...39&postcount=1

Quote:
Excessive and / or Useless Posts
The "member" in question has made 11 useless posts since the infraction system went into effect. These are YOUR rules. Why aren't they being enforced?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #118
baddest434
8 Second Club

the member in question is part of the reason i'm not on this site that often anymore. along with the douche street racers talking trash!! that crap gets OLD!! where do they come from? i don't know but i think a romper room forum would be better fit for them.
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #119
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Bill, the street racing stuff gets stepped on fast. There have been users banned over it.

Quote:
You make me laugh bozo. What happened to the fancy shmancy new infraction system?

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...39&postcount=1

The "member" in question has made 11 useless posts since the infraction system went into effect. These are YOUR rules. Why aren't they being enforced?
I just said this:
Quote:
Done. And actually he has received a few infractions. Just because you don't see them does not mean they do not happen. And here will be no more. I have not seen all his posts. It's a fine line between being funny and getting out of hand. Nothing wrong with a little fun, but it appears this has gotten out of hand.

As I said I haven't gotten feeback. Again, the staff appreciates feed back. The report post button works great. PMs to mods and admins works great. All members can choose to help us by utilizing the report post system or sending us PMs. I personally take criticism and suggestions seriously from people who get involved. Not as much as ones that throw rocks from afar.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #120
j0n

Quote:
I just said this:
Done. And here will be no more. I have not seen all his posts. It's a fine line between being funny and getting out of hand. Nothing wrong with a little fun, but it appears this has gotten out of hand.
So we should be happy that you're now enforcing the rules set by the admins a month ago... only after being called out by someone who "throws rocks from afar"?

Quote:
As I said I haven't gotten feeback. Again, the staff appreciates feed back. The report post button works great. PMs to mods and admins works great. All members can choose to help us by utilizing the report post system or sending us PMs.
I happen to know that his posts have been reported, several times. And the staff not doing anything about it until I call you out speaks volumes about how effective the "report post" button works.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #121
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I have not seen reported posts on them. I would have reacted the same if you PM'd me. You chose not to and to make it a public affair for your own reasons.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #122
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
I have not seen reported posts on them. I would have reacted the same if you PM'd me. You chose not to and to make it a public affair for your own reasons.
you may have missed them due to my quick trigger finger, but members have reported posts from the member being debated, i have deleted some of them, and taken appropriate action...

maybe when you clicked the email on these occasions there was nothing more to see...

Quote:
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #123
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Could be. And trolling through deleted posts I see that.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #124
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #125
mc73nova

I apologize for not using the report button and for bringing this out into the open and making a scene. However, I stand by what I said and will contact one of the higher up if I have a problem, from now on.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > NJFBOA Forums > Club and Website Support