Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
V
Stalker

supercharging oiling question/options

This is for my custom supercharger build...

The centrifugal s/c headunit is designed to be hooked up to a pressure port on the engine for its oiling needs. I do have the port adapter and lines.

However, I was thinking just to be on the safe side, I would consider running a stand alone oiling system instead. I had planned on using a pump such as this and then running a 2qt reservoir and small oil cooler by the rad. After looking online though, I can't find a definite answer regarding the effectiveness of this type of system for a supercharger, not a turbo. It mainly comes down to the pressure level vs. rpm, and the flow through with regards to any resistance.

Now, I wanted the stand alone setup to avoid any damage to the motor or s/c headunit if one or the other failed. But the more I think of it, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

opinions/experiences?

SJsleeper, feel free to chime in, and also, did the return go into the oil fill?, lol.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

When I spun my main bearings I sent the unit back to ATI to be safe and they said it was fine and needed nothing, amazing with how much babbit was in the oil. My oil feed is from above the oil filter (LT1), so I assume the filter trapped it? I have the stock oil sending unit T'd into that, so I can see oil presssure going to the SC and an after market oil gauge connected behind the intake.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
S.J.SLEEPER

Originally, system is supposed to be dumped back in via oil filter cap. I refused to do that since it looks like crap & I am too meticulous for that kinda thing. I returned it via a -10an fitting I welded into front of oilpan.
If your worried about contaminents getting into engne oil, I suppose you could run a screen or a freeflowing filter in-line.
If you want to run a dedicated oil system. I would run:
turbowerx pump
2.5-3 qt. tank
15-19 row cooler.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech