Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
SpeakersGoBoom

Computer Controlled Carbs

Ill admit, I dont know a ****load about cars (only became interested in cars about a year and a half ago), but i more than want to learn. I have a computer controlled carb in my 86 TA. Is there anyway to replace a computer controlled carb with another computer controlled carb? Ive seen some for sale in summit, but i was told that you cant replace a computer controlled carb.
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
curt86iroc

the cc qjet isnt that bad of a carb. i had one on my 86 iroc. after adjusting the AV flap and putting in new secondary metering rods and a hanger, the carb performed much better. i would keep it if i were you, unless you plan on upgrading to a 350.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:27 PM   #3
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Theirs only a few plug and play connections, that if your not an ape at it, you can easily re-connect a new one.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

There is no replacement for the carb in your car. You have a spread bore, the replaces are not and are less CFM.

As curt86iroc stated, you can change to large lmetering rods, you can also change to a Float pin and housing from a truck which has larger opening which will allow more fuek flow into the carb.

Years ago in earky 90s GM offered a carb and ECM upgade so you could use a 350 motor, but I don't know if they offer it.

I installed a 355 in my 84Z, and after allot of work I never got the carb to work well so I dump the set-up.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
SpeakersGoBoom

im sticking with the 305. just wanted to see if there was something i could do to give it a little more power. thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 12:30 AM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

you shoudl look into a custom chip for it. if you go through adn freshen teh carb up and have custom tunign done you will see a huge gain.
the stock chip does not take advantage of timing or fuel curves teh car can use, just extremely safe ones that gm figured would make things last a long time.
the carbs are easy to work with and there are a bunch of books and tech articles around about how to get them working like new.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:48 AM   #7
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Re: Computer Controlled Carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakersGoBoom
Ill admit, I dont know a ****load about cars (only became interested in cars about a year and a half ago), but i more than want to learn. Â*I have a computer controlled carb in my 86 TA. Â*Is there anyway to replace a computer controlled carb with another computer controlled carb? Â*Ive seen some for sale in summit, but i was told that you cant replace a computer controlled carb.
which carb are you talking about? can you post a link?
84HOtransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #8
enRo
13 Second Club

All i gotta say is... don't go with Holley remakes. I thought my stock carbeurator blew because I was having studdering in the engine when accelerating. So I bought the QJet remake by Holley. Me n my pops installed it, hooked everything up and started it up. It idled at 3400-3800 RPMS up and down... dumping gas etc etc... So i took it to have it installed PROFESSIONALLY along with a full tune-up/oil change and the guy said that it was dumping gas and it was unfixable unless rebuilt. Im like "well wtf I just bought it".. he told me to take it back and to this day, my mom is fighting with the store to at least give me Store Credit...

The old carb still sits in my car, hasnt given me a problem since *Knock on Wood* ... it was an EGR valve or something and had it replaced
Old 11-20-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
SpeakersGoBoom

Well, i wasnt sure which carb i was taling about. like i said, im not to great with cars yet. I picked up a knack for electrical, and im learning as much as i can about that, but i also want to learn about engines, only problem is, like i stated in the audio apearance forum, the engines under warranty and touching it is a I thought about getting a ceased motor from a junk yard and taking it apart, checking it out, **** like that, but right now, we dont have any room in the garage. hopefully by spring the garage will be cleared, but then again, thats what we say every winter. How much would a computer chip upgrade be, and where would i get one/which one would i get (brands that are good, etc) Also, anyone have any idea what a ceased motor from a junk yard would be? i think someone once said like, 50 bucks or something...
Old 11-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #10
enRo
13 Second Club

Yea im just like u in a way... Im not HUGE on all these K-Members, etc etc.. but engines Im startin to learn at... but yea, my only strength is the interior. The only way to really learn is to either get a seized V8, or buy one of those plastic lifesize/lifelike v8 models (forget the name). From that model, my 11 yr old cousin knows more about engines than I do <<LOL (No lie)

Seized 305's in the junkyard a mile from my house is about $50-$75. Siezed 350's are $95-$125. The catch is, they charge you a little less than double to yank it out.

I prolly got the same exact car as yours except diff color right? 1986 TA 305 with the 4bbl?? And T-Tops
Old 11-20-2004, 11:41 AM   #11
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
The only way to really learn is to either get a seized V8, or buy one of those plastic lifesize/lifelike v8 models (forget the name).

complete bs...people on these boards are always asking for help from others...why not help out? There are manuals out there for just about every car in addition to writeups and stuff on the net...im not saying your not going to learn anything from what you said but you sure would learn alot more by doing real projects on real cars....i didnt know how to change my own oil till i was like 20 now ive done everything from a heads/cam swap, supercharger install to tuning my own cars via hptuners...theres nothing difficult about most of it but you need to start somewhere & i really dont think buying a motor to take it apart & build it back together at a cost is the way to start seeing most people that ask for help will buy lunch or drinks or something to that extent, thats what i did with my heads/cam swap and header install.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #12
SpeakersGoBoom

i just was looking to get something to fully understand how the engine works. And yes, its the same car as yours. yours is auto, rite?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #13
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by foff667
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
The only way to really learn is to either get a seized V8, or buy one of those plastic lifesize/lifelike v8 models (forget the name).

complete bs...people on these boards are always asking for help from others...why not help out? There are manuals out there for just about every car in addition to writeups and stuff on the net...im not saying your not going to learn anything from what you said but you sure would learn alot more by doing real projects on real cars....i didnt know how to change my own oil till i was like 20 now ive done everything from a heads/cam swap, supercharger install to tuning my own cars via hptuners...theres nothing difficult about most of it but you need to start somewhere & i really dont think buying a motor to take it apart & build it back together at a cost is the way to start seeing most people that ask for help will buy lunch or drinks or something to that extent, thats what i did with my heads/cam swap and header install.
Don't get me wrong, you are one-hundred percent right. What im saying is to learn the engine and its parts, not mod it, or do oil changes. I have books upon books I bought from Barnes and Noble about Chevy small blocks, Rebuilding Small Blocks, Complete engine rebuilds, etc. I, along with prolly a few others, thinks its great to learn how the engine works by first-hand and not by book. Your completely 100% right. These books, I still don't know half the *****. I know how an engine works, but Im just having trouble understanding the measurements in some of the things like cams, etc etc. All this talk on these forums about "adding this to my car bla bla bla .05446 bla bla bla" is like a reading a vietnamese passage for me. But first hand does its job cuz this winter, me n my pops are yanking the grandmother 305 from my car and replacing with a pre-built 383 Stroker with a TH700. That gives me a chance to know how to do cam jobs/header jobs etc etc.

And yes, my car is a banging "slipping-gears" Automatic

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning