Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
1972LT1
The Plague

Wrangler problem

I have an 04 . In the past when the alingment was out the front wheels would start shaking and then it would cause the whole vehicle to shake. I got an alingment job done today and it hasn't gotten any better. It shakes @ 50mph. While it's shaking if I ease the wheel to the left it gets worse. If I ease it to the right it settles down. Anyone have a clue?
1972LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

have the front wheels balanced at least to eliminate that. check for front end wear and maybe bearing play. one of the wack job jeep owners here might know some common issues with jeeps.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

That's what my Cherokee did when the front hub / unit bearings went bad. Pretty sure that the TJs have serviceable wheel bearings though - not sure. Have you checked front axle u joints to make sure they are all in good shape?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
BigAls87Z28

Sounds like a some sort of hub/wheel bearing. Have them balance the tires as well so you dont have to make that trip again.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
The Fixer

Sounds like Death Wobble - could be the hub bearings like Justin mentioned, or also bad bushings in the control arms, or tie rods, or trackbar, or....you get the idea. A good way to find where the loose parts are is to have and someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth while the truck is on the ground and you look for any play in the steering setup. I did that with my brother-in-law on his '04 Grand Cherokee (very similar steering setup to your TJ) and we found his trackbar was shot. He could turn the steering wheel almost 1/4 turn before the trackbar would move, and that was causing his Death Wobble.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

And IMO all of that should have been caught by an alignment tech. Job #1 on an alignment is check the front end; shake & inspect. Especially with that kind of complaint.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
1972LT1
The Plague

I rotated the tires and that seems to have cut out @ 80% of it. I'll take the Jeep back and have them redo it. While I had the front wheels off I looked at all the ends and it all looked ok. I yanked on the tie rods and didn't feel any play. Same with the rotors and u joints.
Also...does anyone know how long the shocks and springs are good for on average?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
mc73nova

Do you have a steering stabilizer on it?
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
1972LT1
The Plague

I don't know. It's a stock 04 wrangler. I haven't done any upgrading to it.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech