Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
01SS

Need as much suspension info as possible!!

I am getting ready to purchase new rotors, lowering springs, and shocks/struts. I have been perusing Ebay and have found a couple different makes of these parts. Now here is the catch, I am trying to spend no more than $600. With my current tally I can get pretty close to this mark with the buy it nows and such. What I need is opinions on some of these aftermarket brands, prices, any and all info on these to keep me as close to this price as possible. All responses are appreciated!!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
01SS

Just looking for experiences with any and all brands of these products. prices, what you thought of your purchase (good-bad?)
Old 04-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

There are dozens of brands that sell these parts on eBay....why not post up the brands you were looking to buy from (auction links would be even better) and we'll go from there.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
01SS

Well This is what I have come up with so far. For the lowering springs the Eibach Pro-kit for 235 dollars. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku Im thinking of the summit brake rotors which are fairly cheap but probably short on stopping power, http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
01SS

Found these struts/shocks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...QQcmdZViewItem Any reports on any of these items good/bad?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
ins0mnia24

brake wise I would just go with brembo blanks or the Napa rotors work perfectly fine when used with a decent ceramic brake pad especially on the street..
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Yea, stay away from slotted and cross drilled rotors, especially if they aren't from a top brake company. Brembo blanks and a quality pad will be just fine.

The KYB GR-2s aren't bad, I can't say how they compare to stock deCarbon's though. They certainly aren't anything great performance wise, but they'll be fine for normal street driving. If you are going to lower it, you really should get shocks that are designed to work with the lowering springs you get.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
01SS

Ill see if I cant find a spring/shock/strut combo online. I had been told that with only an inch and half drop didnt really affect shocks/struts. see what i find.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
01SS

Well ordered all my stuffs today. Going with stock replacement rotors from Raybestos. Eibach lowering springs (the 1.2 inch pro kit). And kyb base model struts. The shocks were base also but the warehouses this shop gets his parts from didnt have the base shocks so he ordered me the gas adjustable ones for just 7dollars more than the base ones he ate a lot of the cost on them since he didnt check the availability of them first. Hit my 600 dollar mark exactly.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

So you are putting on a lowering spring that has an altered rate on with stock replacement shocks that are designed for stock ride height and spring rate?

Last edited by JSPERFORMANCE; 04-22-2008 at 06:22 AM.
JSPERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
HardcoreZ28

I agree with what Josh said....it appears you have a bit of a mismatched combo. You may want to consider changing some things up.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SS View Post
Found these struts/shocks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...QQcmdZViewItem Any reports on any of these items good/bad?
The GR-2's on my GTP got rusty pretty quickly, FWIW. I know you got other ones but I'd thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
01SS

Well considering that I had put this post up with getting some ideas originally and I couldnt get a single suggestion out of a single person. I pretty much had to make a decision because the stock stuff is far gone. I dont have much of a budget right now and all I was looking for was for at least a few people to give me some ideas were to start. Only one reply was to find stuff on ebay and say what im looking. Well I dont have 3 weeks to post up every link I find and wait for replies that werent coming. The shop I am getting these parts from used to race 4th gen Camaros as well as working on them and they feel that it should be fine. Like I said I had to make a decision and since I dont have the knowledge on whats best, worst, most expensive or the least I had to do the next best thing. I am sorry if i am offending anybody but I was under the impression that this was a place I could go to for help and be able to offer help to. But I suppose it isnt because the responses only start coming in once Ive already bought my parts to tell me I made a mistake.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
Knipps

you gave people < 2 days to reply, on this small forum that's not enough time..
there are members that don't check the boards everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
01SS

i understand people arent on all the time but there are a hell of a lot of members which will fill up that stupid plane conveyor belt myth thread in 2 days. I watch the unimportant crap such as that, get responded to 10 times more quickly than this thread. I know that people are busy and have there own crap to worry about but this thread went a bit of views without a single response. 142 views 13 replies 6 or so which were mine plenty of ppl looking. Im just upset because I barely got offered suggestions. But as soon as I buy the s**t ppl start telling me Im wrong. And im sure the responses will start pouring in because my last response Im sure is gonna start pissing everyone off.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #16
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Yo dude cool it..

You asked about every suspension company available. All you were asked to do was to narrow the field to what brands and parts you were looking at. Now if you original post was something like "I want to lower my car, what are your reccomendations" you probably would have gotten a better response.

Maybe the stupid posts get filled up so fast because the people that have time to post in them dont know about cars so they post in what they know, usless junk. I dont know about you but I wouldnt want them responding in a serious technical question.

Last edited by JSPERFORMANCE; 04-23-2008 at 07:27 AM.
JSPERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #17
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
Yo dude cool it..

Maybe the stupid posts get filled up so fast because the people that have time to post in them dont know about cars so they post in what they know, usless junk. I dont know about you but I wouldnt want them responding in a serious technical question.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
HardcoreZ28

Quote:
Amen to THAT!

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
01SS

Quote:
Yo dude cool it..
I am cool now it just kinda ticked me off pretty quick. I suppose I was just figuring that it was kind of obvious that I had no clue where to start.

You asked about every suspension company available. All you were asked to do was to narrow the field to what brands and parts you were looking at. Now if you original post was something like "I want to lower my car, what are your reccomendations" you probably would have gotten a better response.[/QUOTE]

I also agree with this. I jumped the gun on the attitude but I suppose what really got me going was when I posted about the products I bought and all of a sudden it was all the wrong stuff. Which I understand that I need to take this with a grain of salt. So I am sorry if I offended anyone just a bad mood day I suppose.

Maybe the stupid posts get filled up so fast because the people that have time to post in them dont know about cars so they post in what they know, usless junk. I dont know about you but I wouldnt want them responding in a serious technical question.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this also.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

do you plan on drag racing the car, road racing, cruising? your intentions could also help members steer you in the right direction. i bought my car lowered already otherwise i'd tell you what i had done. keep your receipt, almost everything is returnable. well everything if you show some flesh/anger....haha
Old 04-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #21
Knipps

Do you have subframe connectors? if you want to make serious power I'd suggest a set

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #22
01SS

This is just my daily driver not trying for serious horses yet. Maybe when I get the 09 camaro Ill turn it into a race car. Except itll be 2015 by the time I can afford an 09 camaro. No subframe connectors yet was gonna enter for the ones at dyno day but not sure I can make it yet. Sorry everyone for the attitude once again.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #23
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

isn't he doin rear lca's?
Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #24
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Frame connectors should be the first item on EVERY f body owners list of things to do.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Frame connectors should be the first item on EVERY f body owners list of things to do.
The man speaketh truth. Amen.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech