Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
alamantia

Quadrajet question

I rebuilt a 4 barrel quadrajet for my buddies 1985 monte carlo with a crate 350. So far everything runs good with the exception of a hesitation when the secondaries kick in. But oddly only when you stab the gas. Gradualy accelerating no heaitation. Hammer it and it falls on its face. It did not hesitate (or some call it bog) prior to the rebuild. Initially I thought that i had to increase spring tension on the secondary air doors so i stuck a small screwdriver in the tensioner, loosened the set screw and turned the spring shaft about 1/8 turn clockwise. Drove it, same thing. Gradual acceleration its fine. Floor it and it heaitates. I turned it another 1/8 turn and feel the doors getting harder to open. No change. Still hesitates. Engine is about 180 degrees and base timing did not change. Still 6 degrees BTC. When the car is off i opened the throttle with my hand to see the accelerator pump is squirting down both primaries properly. The accelerator pump rod is in the inside hile for maximum fuel. The plastic cam lobe on the secondary meetering rods appears fine. Choke is wide open at hot. I just cant figure out why adjusting the secondary air door screw doesnt seem to have any affect on the heaitation what so ever and why it only heaitates when you stab it, but its fine if you ease the pedal to the floor.

Any ideas?

Last edited by alamantia; 07-14-2016 at 09:46 PM.
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
alamantia

What should the squirter nozzle diameter be? Should i drill them bigger?
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
The_Bishop
Power Member

This guy has a decent handle on them, his videos will help you figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQBCLdyDC8

In all likelihood it's an issue with the secondary air valves opening too fast.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech