Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
You guys are missing the point.

The USA EPA is "forcing" in an indirect manner of course a company based out of New Zealand to change their product. The ****ing EPA.

As pointed out above, EFIive, and HPtuners are pulling the ability to delete emissions stuff from increasing pressure from the EPA. Technically any unlocking of a factory PCM to mess with the tune is illegal as it circumvents factory emissions tuning, if you give a mouse a cookie...

And Bonzo, since we all can't afford new 5th gens, V's, or Vettes, your argument is rather silly, I own a old 4th gen, and its now being held to today's motor emissions?

/chickenlittle
Well, it basically comes down to this.

The EPA is trying to stop people from breaking federal law. A law that's been in place for a very long time. Probably since the mid 70's.

Now they finally have teeth I guess.

The fact that the diesel boys are the first to have trouble kind of shows who is the most flagrant in violation.

Matt, I know you love running D and such but the "rip out all the emissions stuff and roll coal" had a target on its back since day one. A lot of visible smoke has a tendency to piss people off.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

No doubt, but its a knee jerk reaction..

IE.. soot is less harmful that the N0x levels produced, so my clean economy tune is soot free so to the prick in the prius, its fine, but, its actually worse than having a visibly "dirty" tune.

There has been talk of the EPA mandating equipment to be placed on early trucks that left the factory without em. Mid year 2005 had no EGR/cats... met federal regs so it was sold.

IDK, just worried how crazy the EPA will get with this, and then the whole ironic and quite laughable OBD2 emissions testing.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
WildBillyT

Quote:

IE.. soot is less harmful that the N0x levels produced, so my clean economy tune is soot free so to the prick in the prius, its fine, but, its actually worse than having a visibly "dirty" tune.

There has been talk of the EPA mandating equipment to be placed on early trucks that left the factory without em. Mid year 2005 had no EGR/cats... met federal regs so it was sold.

IDK, just worried how crazy the EPA will get with this, and then the whole ironic and quite laughable OBD2 emissions testing.
A similar thing can be said about dB levels and mufflers.

Doesn't damage the environment but it pisses people off enough to make laws. And the Harley guys can brapp brapp brapp all day long.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Most people won't know the science of what you are referring to. As Bill mentioned, the visable smoke and soot is going to get more attention than invisible but very harmful alternatives. On somewhat a tangent, when I visited California, I was amazed at the smog level compared to NJ. It is no wonder they are the most forward thinking with regards to energy efficiency in the country. When its blatantly staring you in the face (similar to rolling coal), sensitivity skyrockets and actions are taken.

Focusing more on removing the irresponsible tuning group would be the ideal solution however the enforcement would be more time consuming and expensive. It's easier for them to ban the whole lot than to help the group mature.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #30
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
And Bonzo, since we all can't afford new 5th gens, V's, or Vettes, your argument is rather silly, I own a old 4th gen, and its now being held to today's motor emissions?

/chickenlittle
Last I looked your 4th gen is held to the standard of the model year. Did NJ law change? My point is in most cases you can make a car faster and still pass sniffer tests. The technology is there now.

Quote:

"less harmful" is a terrible argument. They have been regulating NOx for years – EGR. Last I read diesel particulates are quite tough to breathe especially if you have asthma. Half of Europe smells like a diesel ashtray due to their current disincentive system against gasoline.

Again, the current EPA is run by a zealot who is for all intensive purposes anti-anything that is not in line with her thinking, economics be damned. I don’t think they would be successful with retrofitting emissions parts on non-modified vehicles. But check out the hoops Californians have had to jump through for years on modifications. The GM eRod program was driven by it.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
Dudbird113

I like how kids roll coal when in all its actually bad. Like running your car really pig rich. For having an old 4th gen to make it pass emissions take it to a private garage. Mine they basically sticker slapped it haha. Guy started my car and went well this isnt gonna pass for sure. Epa can do w/e they want but comtroling emissions on diesels is hard. Anything over i think 11000 pounds or so ur truck becomes self inspecting. Theyre always be someone put there making "illegal parts" you just gotta know were to get em.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #32
Paul Huryk

Let's be real here - the EPA is an agency based on reaction, not proactive standards - the CARB board of CA is a state agency and they are pretty proactive. Then again, CA is a terrible place to have a hot rod of modern vintage due to all the CARB rules.

We luckily don't have the level of smog policing like we did under Gov Whitman (most people know all about the dyno emission tests of cars that shops invested in, then had to abandon). Then the POS gets to run the EPA after the worst emissions program disaster in recent history.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #33
LTb1ow

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress...d?opendocument

Its funny cause while the DPF will keep the soot in the filter, once the DPF lights up, all goes out in the air.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #34
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
LTb1ow

"When running, trucks without these types of controls leave behind a trail of dark, black smoke. "

Which is funny, cause, my truck didn't come factory with a DPF and it doesn't leave "behind a trail of dark, black smoke." And a dmax across the years, has not changed much at all. Stupid bureaucrats.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

You just don't know bro. I like how they are offering a buyback but you are supposed to set it to factory tune. Sure, lulz.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #37
LTb1ow

And to be more clear, I think Dmax's got DPF late 2007 models.. so early 2007 trucks are the exact same tune/drivetrain but without DPF. Do not recall seeing any 50k trucks leaving a dealer lot rolling coal.

Stupid kids.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #38
WSex

as much as i love to roll coal etc etc. diesel NOx levels are harmful. yes, not as harmful as cow farts and hot rodders but still. all it takes is a person high up in the ladder to get ticked off by a black smoke infested intersection, or a friends death.
diesel fumes do cause cancer its sad. (eventhough thats only recognized in cali)
what im trying to say is it doesnt mean it was because of someone rolling coal. whatever reason the epa has im sure its a good one.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #39
LTb1ow

No, it was definitely due to the dumb ass kids in beat up old diesels "rolling coal" cause its hip and cool.

Argue all you want otherwise, but thats true.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
BonzoHansen
Admin.

yes it is. they brought all this up to the top. that soot is a pollutant. how rolling coal became cool baffles me. then again so does jersey shore and honey boo boo. no accounting for stupid I guss

EPA does not need a reason they were being led by a zealot who is recently gone from that post. she was nuts

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #41
WildBillyT

If it looks bad, it's bad. No reason to dig deeper. That's the MO in the USA these days.

How many idiots think a nuclear power plant is giving off smoke pollution?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

The epa should be disbanded
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #43
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
If it looks bad, it's bad. No reason to dig deeper. That's the MO in the USA these days.

How many idiots think a nuclear power plant is giving off smoke pollution?
steam vapors are a global warming gas

Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #44
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
steam vapors are a global warming gas
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #45
BonzoHansen
Admin.

i'm not kidding. surprised me too. water vapors are considered a greenhouse gas

Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #46
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
i'm not kidding. surprised me too. water vapors are considered a greenhouse gas
I understand that it is, but thats kind of asinine, uhh WTF do they think clouds are?
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #47
The_Bishop
Power Member

"Politician" and "Science" are about as far apart as you can get.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #48
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I understand that it is, but thats kind of asinine, uhh WTF do they think clouds are?
Apparently condensed pollution.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation