Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

EPA thread

*Don't turn it into politics por favor Jose*

Been a lot of buzz round the diesel world cause the EPA cracked down hard on a few tuning companies, and now its like a landslide of companies no long offering DPF, EGR, cat etc deletes. Which was to be expected, you can't expect the EPA to not notice your rolling coal, burnout vids on public roads on youtube adverting your emissions delete stuff, BUT...

Someone mentioned that hot rodding stuff only contributes a very very small fraction of overall emissions and that the EPA is merely trying to keep their jobs since they have basically put requirements on everything from BBQs to gas cans. So they go after very high public aware stuff to show face.

Kinda curious if anyone had any numbers on hot rod stuff compared to overall car usage.

Should I go put on my tinfoil hat?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
V
Stalker

I guess it's good to have a 1996 diesel...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I believe cow farts are above diesel emissions but below gasoline emissions. Maybe you should write your senator a letter?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
*Don't turn it into politics por favor Jose*

Been a lot of buzz round the diesel world cause the EPA cracked down hard on a few tuning companies, and now its like a landslide of companies no long offering DPF, EGR, cat etc deletes. Which was to be expected, you can't expect the EPA to not notice your rolling coal, burnout vids on public roads on youtube adverting your emissions delete stuff, BUT...

Someone mentioned that hot rodding stuff only contributes a very very small fraction of overall emissions and that the EPA is merely trying to keep their jobs since they have basically put requirements on everything from BBQs to gas cans. So they go after very high public aware stuff to show face.

Kinda curious if anyone had any numbers on hot rod stuff compared to overall car usage.

Should I go put on my tinfoil hat?
I'm not even sure if that information is available...

Two things come to mind with that:

1) I bet that normal cars that run around not properly tuned put out many X more bad emissions into the atmosphere than if they were running 100% - and the EPA doesn't care about them. And if they squeek by local emissions standards, no attention is paid.

2) The EPA is a reactive portion of the government and it only gets up off it's butt and looks into things when enough people complain - usually being ones that have connections in such an agency...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
LTb1ow

Not that anyone cares, but was in at a local diesel speed shop today and I knew the sales guy and jokingly asked bout the tuners.

He pulled out a new form that is intended to separate the dealer with the actual product, you have to now sign a contract stating you never intend for the product to be used on DOT roads etc, pretty crazy.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Dudbird113

I make the world warmer one gallon at a time. If your looking for diesel parts n stuff try xdp desiel in wall i believe
Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudbird113 View Post
I make the world warmer one gallon at a time. If your looking for diesel parts n stuff try xdp desiel in wall i believe
Thats where I was

I get all my stuff through them for the durtymax
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Not that anyone cares, but was in at a local diesel speed shop today and I knew the sales guy and jokingly asked bout the tuners.

He pulled out a new form that is intended to separate the dealer with the actual product, you have to now sign a contract stating you never intend for the product to be used on DOT roads etc, pretty crazy.
That sucks. Anything on there that says if they catch you using it that your SOL? I would assume so. Should be interesting if they expand this further to all off-road parts. "Be well John Spartan"

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
That sucks. Anything on there that says if they catch you using it that your SOL? I would assume so. Should be interesting if they expand this further to all off-road parts. "Be well John Spartan"
Afaik, the disclaimer of "off road use only" was weake to begin with and now the EPA is coming down hard on blatent offenders of it
Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Dudbird113

My sisterS boyfriend works at there shop they partnered up with across the street from them
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
LTb1ow

And since none of you are diesel fanbois... here you go on something closer to home..

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...167&Itemid=158

Coming soon, no more EGR/AIR/CAT etc deletes for gassers.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
The_Bishop
Power Member

Buy own tuner = Win?

Tuner makes you sign offroad only paper = Win?

Always a way around...
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Buy own tuner = Win?

Tuner makes you sign offroad only paper = Win?

Always a way around...
Uh, what?

If you want to use EFIlive or HPtuners, they do not allow for emissions deletes anymore. So, unless you have older versions, you are screwed now.

So, unless you are writing your own software, you be done sir done.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
The_Bishop
Power Member

Then I suppose that HP tuners will be refunding my monies, as I paid for a complete tuner and not nanny-software.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #15
The_Bishop
Power Member

Further research has pointed this to still being a diesel thing. No EGR or DPF delete for the oil burners. EPA is getting a little too big for it's britches.

Quote:
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
LTb1ow

Quote:
Then I suppose that HP tuners will be refunding my monies, as I paid for a complete tuner and not nanny-software.
Well call and ask to confirm, I would assume you got a version in which its allowed if you already bought it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
The_Bishop
Power Member

Fortunately I have retained several older versions. Software pack-ratting FTW.

Quote:
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
LTb1ow

Thats good man, just wanted to throw it up cause it seems that gas fanbois don't seem to care.

Noose may be tightening.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
And since none of you are diesel fanbois... here you go on something closer to home..

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...167&Itemid=158

Coming soon, no more EGR/AIR/CAT etc deletes for gassers.
So you're saying that if you remove a Federally mandated emissions control device, the authorities might have something to say about it?

What I see that will come from this is a new generation of engines. EPA has put road blocks and restrictions up before, and somehow we have magically climbed out of the doom and gloom to make better engines.

With that said, the EPA has a serious hard on for diesel fuel. I don't know why, but I'm sure there is enough corporate money behind it to keep it that way. The automakers seem to not care as there will be more diesel powered passenger cars on sale in the US in the few years then there had ever been before. Chevrolet, Mazda, Ford, Honda, VW, Audi, BMW, and Benz are all coming to market with diesel cars.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #20
Dudbird113

Epa is tightning te noose. Should move to florida where there is no emmision testing i believe
Old 12-12-2012, 05:47 AM   #21
The_Bishop
Power Member

The problem is the tuning solutions available to us are removing the necessary options for off-road use tuning. Doesn't matter where you move.

BigAl, I understand that the EPA is trying to make things clean, but this is getting ridiculous. How much real pollution is emitted by enthusiasts? Now granted, the idiots that purposely tune diesels to blow out sun-blocking clouds of black soot make the rest of the tuning industry look bad, but maybe that needs to be handled on an individual level. What's currently happening is like outlawing screwdrivers because people modify carbs with them.

Quote:
Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #22
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
The problem is the tuning solutions available to us are removing the necessary options for off-road use tuning. Doesn't matter where you move.

BigAl, I understand that the EPA is trying to make things clean, but this is getting ridiculous. How much real pollution is emitted by enthusiasts? Now granted, the idiots that purposely tune diesels to blow out sun-blocking clouds of black soot make the rest of the tuning industry look bad, but maybe that needs to be handled on an individual level. What's currently happening is like outlawing screwdrivers because people modify carbs with them.
guys blowing soot are idiots and I suspect that has helped put a bulls-eye on the aftermarket, especially since the federal EPA is now run by a my way or the highway zealot.

but you can't regulate case by case, the world is too big. you have to have standards. maybe different ones for normal use vs limited use. wait, we have that now!

Before ODB2 you had to make your car pass sniff test. And back then the technology and the cats were less than stellar. Now GM can make a 638hp engine blow clean. There is no reason to remove cats or AIR anymore on a DD. Being cheap is not a good excuse. And being a car guy should not mean a complete disregard for the environment

Everyone cried when the 1st EFI showed up, the aftermarket figured it out. They will again.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #23
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
guys blowing soot are idiots and I suspect that has helped put a bulls-eye on the aftermarket, especially since the federal EPA is now run by a my way or the highway zealot.

but you can't regulate case by case, the world is too big. you have to have standards. maybe different ones for normal use vs limited use. wait, we have that now!

Before ODB2 you had to make your car pass sniff test. And back then the technology and the cats were less than stellar. Now GM can make a 638hp engine blow clean. There is no reason to remove cats or AIR anymore on a DD. Being cheap is not a good excuse. And being a car guy should not mean a complete disregard for the environment

Everyone cried when the 1st EFI showed up, the aftermarket figured it out. They will again.

I am thinking it will be aftermarket PCM setups.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #24
LTb1ow

You guys are missing the point.

The USA EPA is "forcing" in an indirect manner of course a company based out of New Zealand to change their product. The ****ing EPA.

As pointed out above, EFIive, and HPtuners are pulling the ability to delete emissions stuff from increasing pressure from the EPA. Technically any unlocking of a factory PCM to mess with the tune is illegal as it circumvents factory emissions tuning, if you give a mouse a cookie...

And Bonzo, since we all can't afford new 5th gens, V's, or Vettes, your argument is rather silly, I own a old 4th gen, and its now being held to today's motor emissions?

/chickenlittle
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #25
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

We already have aftermarket pcms. EPA can suck it.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation