Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
BigRocsFirebird

Firebird problems.

So the firebird has been acting up lately...

A couple months ago she was idleing like it was cammed and very touchy on the throttle. Kind of like a vacuum leak and was running stronger than normal. Also when it was sitting (nothing on and not running) I was waxing it one day and I could hear relays clicking a couple times.

Now for the past 3 days my oil pressure has been ****. Normaly it was 37 at idle and 43 when reved. On the way to the shore I hit a little traffic and we came to a stop. When stopped it dropped to 27ish and then i punched it and it jumped to 80? It's never gotten past 45 before. So I pulled off the next exit and got to a gas station and picked up some oil. I was only half a quart low. I added it and made it down the shore with no problems. The way home was good she ran strong. Now lastnight I took it out and I watched my temp go up faster than normal. Of course it kept going and almost into the red (260*) so I put it in nuetral and turned it off and coasted into a parking lot. (also the fan never turned on) I only made it a little more than half mile from my house. I let it sit for 15 min cooled down a little. I started it back up and I got on it till 60mph put it in nuetral again and coasted into my neighborhood to my driveway.

I just went out now and checked fuses for my fan and all was good and now its running. My oil pressure is good and shes not over heating. All my fluids are good. Also for a week now i've had a small whine noise. gets louder as the rpms are brought up.

Could I have a bad oil pump, maybe a spun bareing also electrical problems?

Forgot to say its a 1995 3.4 V6 89k miles.

Any ideas could be helpful. also I will be away and wont be able to tare into it for a little while but I'll be on my droid on the forums.

If the motor is **** maybe I'll look into one of them LS7's or something like that. i'm tired of getting my balls broken over having a v6 and if i'm going to do it at all i'm going big.

1988 Mustang - supercharged, heads/cam etc...

2012 Mustang - 5.0 6spd / 437rwhp 420trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Verts are gay and stalkers ride in them.
BigRocsFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Slow-V6

Oil pressure sending unit maybe? The 94 I had did the same thing. The Fan just all of a suddon stopped working. It would work when the A/C was on but without the A/C on it did not turn at all. I would put a fan switch on your car!

Are there any Check engine lights on?

Maybe you should try seafoaming it and that might clear up your idle problem. It helped out my 2002 WS6 with 92,000 miles on it.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

sounds like a few different things could be going on. i would suggest verifying oil pressure with a mechanical gauge first. my 3.4 would read in the 20's when the car is warmed up and i'm in stop and go summer traffic. does it idle like its missing? i would look at the basic stuff first before diving in to an ls7 swap
Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
sounds like a few different things could be going on. i would suggest verifying oil pressure with a mechanical gauge first. my 3.4 would read in the 20's when the car is warmed up and i'm in stop and go summer traffic. does it idle like its missing? i would look at the basic stuff first before diving in to an ls7 swap
Agreed. Check your oil pressure and coolant temps with other gauges/tools. You may end up having an electrical problem that's messing with your gauges.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
BigRocsFirebird

Sorry for slow replys. I'm up in the moutains and service comes and goes. I think it is a big electrical problem but when ideling she runs like crap. Almost like a miss fire but I guess that can be electrical. Also when I rev it up the rpms stay up for like 3 seconds then drop. And its now idleing around 1000rpms.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Flippindabird

1 more vote for sending unit ive seen a couple others act like that but they were v8s probably similar though... good luck
Flippindabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
BigRocsFirebird

Hell I'm not worried ill buy a 2011 something if I have to. I'm already building the mustang so I don't have much time for the firebird

Quote:

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech