Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #26
firebirdat

We have updates!!! Its been long overdue but i have been busy at work and with other projects, F-body related and not related like a crotch rocket, quad, and an a 12 Valve Cummins into a 03 F250 6.0. Cant complain been pretty cool projects and they pay for my projects.

So i threw the idea of the LS6 intake out the window because their not as cheap as everyone makes them out to be, as well as getting harder to find. So i went with a BBK SSI intake because it was a steal of a price, still kinda skeptical of it. Also got the Professional Products fuel rail kit(skeptical of that too) and FAST 36lb Injectors as well as the HAWKS budget long tube headers. Car sat for awhile unloved while i saved for more parts and worked on the crotch rocket. Ordered all new stainless steel fuel lines, chinsy ass AC delete box, wiring harness, PCM, Walbro 255 fuel pump, new Dorman sending unit for 87-92. So i got to work on all of that stuff installed the tank with the sending unit and fuel pump, installed all break lines, popped the rear differential back in and bled the breaks. Started running my fuel lines all the way up to fuel rail in their factory location. I also ordered in the midst of all this battery relocation kit from summit to keep it NHRA legal, but the plastic box i received from summit was the right dimensions so now its just a really nice box in my garage since i made a fancy bracket/ shelf to hold the battery in the spare tire spot.
I then tackled the wiring, which after consulting with recommended manufacturers of harness i still went with PSI because they were able to ship my harness to me in 2 days. i spent about an hour labeling all the wires and then plugged them all into their proper location. Then i tackled what i thought was going to be the hardest part of the swap which was pretty easy with the help of a haynes manual, the C100 connector, deleted whatever wires i knew i no longer needed, after that i mounted my wiper motor back up along with the oil pressure sensor and fan motor. i then mounted my radiator and fans. Then probably around mid to late September i bit the bullet and bought LS7 flywheel and clutch through work. After that went through the slow process of double checking everything and filling up oil and coolant and making sure i had oil pressure, and late one night i fired it up for the first time!! after a solid 10 months i finally had a running non-driving LSX powered Trans Am!!!

Now onto my pics, sorry if their out of order or crappy some are digital camera some are cell phone.

Another project i worked on for friend in the meantime

Old 12-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #27
firebirdat

Forgot start up video!!!

http://youtu.be/yriQBJwzCxY

http://youtu.be/ooUqGuKOGlA

not sure how to embed these...

Last edited by firebirdat; 12-15-2014 at 08:44 PM.
firebirdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #28
evildante

cool looks good
Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #29
Punkmaster 98

Looking good!
1984 Trans Am 6.0 4L60E , Ford 8.8 3.55 gears
1991 Trans Am
1985 Iroc Z
2015 Silverado 2500HD
Punkmaster 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:03 PM   #30
omarcamaro
12 Second Club

did this project get finished

67 Camaro RS
70 Camaro RS
95 Camaro Z28
omarcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #31
firebirdat

Totally forgot about this thread actually. Alot has happened since the last update. Bought a transmission, stupid money for one of them. Ended up buying a Tremec t56 Magnum with the 2.63 first and 0.63 sixth. Installed that with a LS7 Clutch and flywheel, and an American power-trains hydromax master set up. Car ended up sitting for a good solid 6 months after that was all installed because i started a restoration project on a 1978 VW Camper bus.

In between work and my part time job, and working for myself i purchased all sorts of suspension goodies that have been long overdue and some out of necessity. Got a Torque arm trans crossmember because its not an Fbod transmission, Bilstein shocks and struts, Founders rear control arms and panhard bar, Lower control arm relocation brackets, Eibach lowering springs, BMR Tubular front control arms, Moog Steering gear, Spohn wonder bar, all new polyurethane sway bar links and bushings. Got all new E-brake hardware, from the handle all the back got new cables.Got a new driveshaft, got the power steering line. Speedo cable, and shifter ball and stick etc.. Bought but havent installed the magnaflow cat back. I have been spending two nights a week on it after i get out of work doing little odds and ends, time gets harder and harder to find, especially with cold weather and moving the car around twice and working outdoors but the plan is to have it driving before May.

Biggest things right now are to fabricate the Y-pipe with oval piping, remount the master cylinder reservoir, and ive been going around and moving little odds and ends to make it that much neater. Like is said once daylight savings time hits i should be able to work that much more on it without being annoyed about working in the dark. As for pictures i'll have to find them and post them up within the week
Old 03-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #32
firebirdat

Sorry about the quality cant find the digital camera right now, alot more are on that along with that bus. Also their in no particular order because its late at night and feeling super tired
Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #33
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

I love seeing that people are now putting money into these cars. Cool projects!

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #34
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Nice progress. What are you doing about the exhaust?

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #35
firebirdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Nice progress. What are you doing about the exhaust?
Originally the plan was send it out and let someone fabricate a y-pipe to the magnaflow cat-back, but i decided i haven't sublet-ed anything out this far so why not do it myself if i know how to tig weld and cut/grind. Got vibrant 3"oval piping, like 10 ft of so i can test it out and make the mistakes that i know are going to happen, oval reducers, and a Y-pipe, as well as a high flow catalytic converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
I love seeing that people are now putting money into these cars. Cool projects!
yea its a shame there's not a lot of love out there for third gens, or the amount of aftermarket support compared to all the other generations. In due time i guess.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #36
WayFast84

Nice project! I've been saving up parts for a similar swap since November and the only thing I'm still confused about is the fuel pump since I had an Lg4 with a small pump in the tank and a pump on the block. All you did was get a new sending unit and swap in a walboro 250 and a corvette filter/regulator? Do you have the part numbers for everything you bought?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #37
firebirdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
Nice project! I've been saving up parts for a similar swap since November and the only thing I'm still confused about is the fuel pump since I had an Lg4 with a small pump in the tank and a pump on the block. All you did was get a new sending unit and swap in a walboro 250 and a corvette filter/regulator? Do you have the part numbers for everything you bought?
I did all new -6 AN fuel lines, with a whole bunch of russell fittings that i don't have part numbers off the top of my head. i could look around and find the diagram i made for that though.I also made myself a fuel pump harness. i bought the racetronix harness and never used it for some reason.

Dorman sending unit-http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
Walbro-http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vp...t/model/camaro
C5 filter-http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-GF822-...words=19239926

I think i got the majority it through rockauto, but for some reason i have it listed under amazon.

Last edited by firebirdat; 03-14-2016 at 09:17 PM.
firebirdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #38
WayFast84

Thanks for all the info. I'm still not sure if I'm going to just go with a bosch 044 inline pump or a walboro pump and maybe later add another if I go FI.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #39
conlinj

What heater box did you use?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #40
firebirdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlinj View Post
What heater box did you use?
http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...rts/14588.html
Piece of crap in my book, probably going to throw it out and get an original one off ebay.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #41
Punkmaster 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdat View Post
Piece of crap in my book, probably going to throw it out and get an original one off ebay.
i used an ebay one. it fit quite well. It was fiberglass
1991 Trans Am
1985 Iroc Z
2015 Silverado 2500HD
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #42
firebirdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkmaster 98 View Post
i used an ebay one. it fit quite well. It was fiberglass
i was just unimpressed for the price i paid, i expected a little higher quality. it was just a gel coated panel that had alot of strands all over the place. it does the job but just feel as though the price is unjustifiable.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #43
Punkmaster 98

Quote:
i was just unimpressed for the price i paid, i expected a little higher quality. it was just a gel coated panel that had alot of strands all over the place. it does the job but just feel as though the price is unjustifiable.
strands all over the place? mine wasnt like that at all. Are we talking about the same one?
1991 Trans Am
1985 Iroc Z
2015 Silverado 2500HD
Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #44
firebirdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkmaster 98 View Post
strands all over the place? mine wasnt like that at all. Are we talking about the same one?
Oops sorry for any confusion, i was talking about the one from classic industries
Old 04-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #45
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Thats the American Graffiti box. It's pretty nice for what you pay for, but it does need some work. I have one for the second Gen. Maybe they don't do as nice a job for CI since they aren't making as much money off them, or the quality has just gone downhill. Honestly, that's a great price IMO even if it does need some work sanding all the stock metal ones I have gotten all have rust, I'd rather have the glass one
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects