Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
8hnpSS

T56 grinds 1-2 locks out of 3rd WOT

Ive been chasing this issue for while I cant figure it out. Let me start off with if I leave the car sitting for 2-3 weeks it becomes very hard to shift at first. Once I drive 5-10 minutes it starts to shift like normal. In neutral the gearbox is smooth as butter and shifts like butter during normal driving. At WOT it will grind 1-2 pretty bad. At times it will lock me out of 3rd completely or grind into it at WOT. If I slow shift it at WOT sometimes it will grind and sometimes it wont. Every other gear is fine. I already replace the master cylinder with the Tick master it hasn't changed anything but make the clutch peddle a little firmer. Fluid level is where it should be, no chatter at all with the clutch and no clutch slip at all at WOT. I was told the clutch is stock from the previous owner. Car has 74k on it. Im not sure if I should replace the slave cylinder or should I start thinking of getting a new clutch? Internal trans issue?

8hnpSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
6spdg37s

could be clutch related/pressure plate related or slave related... pulling my clutch tomorrow for similar issues
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #3
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

You mentioned fluid level but how does the fluid look? I'd change the fluid and give it a good bleed first.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
8hnpSS

the fluid was just changed when i installed the tick master. its clear and clean. if anything the symptoms have gone worse since i installed the tick and new fluid.

yea i was thinking it could be slave related. sounds like this things gonna have to come apart

Old 04-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
xrelapse13

Have you confirmed your Tick is adjusted properly? If it's not adjusted right it can lead to all the issues you're experiencing, sounds like it may not be adjusted to release the clutch all the way and you may be experiencing some drag.

2000 ws6
xrelapse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
creeper

I would take the car out somewhere level and rev to 5k in 1st with the clutch pushed in. If the car moves forward, the clutch is dragging. If the car doesn't lurch, then you know it's more likely something synchro related.

It took me many tries to get all the air out of the system after installing the tick, I would start with a thorough flush of that first even if it is new. What kind of fluid is in the trans?

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
8hnpSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrelapse13 View Post
Have you confirmed your Tick is adjusted properly? If it's not adjusted right it can lead to all the issues you're experiencing, sounds like it may not be adjusted to release the clutch all the way and you may be experiencing some drag.
it was doing the same thing prior to the tick install but no its not confirmed that its adjusted properly. i can slam it as hard as i want into 4th and it goes in like butter

Old 04-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #8
8hnpSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I would take the car out somewhere level and rev to 5k in 1st with the clutch pushed in. If the car moves forward, the clutch is dragging. If the car doesn't lurch, then you know it's more likely something synchro related.

It took me many tries to get all the air out of the system after installing the tick, I would start with a thorough flush of that first even if it is new. What kind of fluid is in the trans?
i will give that a shot when i take the car out again. im not sure of the trans fluid i haven't changed it since i got the car. the previous owner said he had the trans flushed out and it was "rebuilt" in like 2007.

at this point im looking into replacing the clutch as its going to have to be done regardless sooner or later. and i do plan on doing some track passes.

can anyone recommend a local shop to have the trans looked over and do a clutch job?

Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8hnpSS View Post
i will give that a shot when i take the car out again. im not sure of the trans fluid i haven't changed it since i got the car. the previous owner said he had the trans flushed out and it was "rebuilt" in like 2007.

at this point im looking into replacing the clutch as its going to have to be done regardless sooner or later. and i do plan on doing some track passes.

can anyone recommend a local shop to have the trans looked over and do a clutch job?
Local to NY? Probably Rockland Standard Gear.

http://www.rsgear.com/

I've never used them personally but I've heard good things. I don't think they will do a clutch job but for a trans rebuild they may be perfect.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 04-09-2016 at 10:26 AM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
8hnpSS

I'm willing to go into northern / central jersey if it's worth it. I would like to get both done at 1 shop. I'm from Pearl River that place is close I'll give them a call ok Monday thanks

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline