Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
85CamaroZ28

Need help with exhaust

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and also new to third gen Camaros. I have a 85 Camaro Z28 with a 400sbc and a th350 trans. I am currentlt stuck on what exhaust setup I should do. It currently has a 2 1/2 piping on it with no muffler because the old muffler sounded horrible. I have many people telling me do this and do that. Here are the things people are telling me. Again I am new to the Fbody, Ive have gbodys before and you can run true dual easy on them. Some people are telling me to keep the one pipe and ypipe just bump the piping up to 3inch due to the 400sbc and get a muffler with a dual outlet. I think its called transverse setup?. Then i have other telling me dont do a transverse setup with dual tips just have a reg flowmaster muffler with one tailpipe because it doesnt mess up the flow like the transverse set up. I really dont know what to do. I love Flowmaster and they sell both setups. I saw on Hawks Third gen they have a setup with a 3 1/2 with single exit. Please someone help me. Its one of the last things i gotta do to get the car on the road. To answer some questions you might have for me. I dont mind the loud noise. I will be using the car for street/strip. I prefer dual pipes but if singe with get me better power then ok. Thanks in advance for your help. I will post pics soon
85CamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

What is the basic info on the 400?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Shoot this guy a PM, he has some stuff.
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51721
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
What is the basic info on the 400?

- Justin
what he said

if its a stock 400, a single 2.5 is fine because they are dogs.

after that, well, we need to know what you have done to it.

FWIW, a single 3" will support a lot of power, and wont break the bank like larger setups, and dont take up as much room int he tunnel. You gen keep the smaller setups tucked up better in the tunnel and dont loose any ground clearance.

i like single turn downs with nothing showing behind the car. no need for shiny tips that need cleaning all the time. who has time to polish exhaust tips...

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 03-02-2011 at 09:06 PM.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
85CamaroZ28

Basic info is stock heads mild cam 750cfm carb edelbrock intake hedman headers only gor like 20,000 miles on motor
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
85CamaroZ28

Havent really open up engine yet to see what else is done but its def faster then my 350 sbc punched 40 over
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

what type and size headers? No reason to go big on the pipes if your running small headers ( shortly type ). If you're running sorties, keep the 2.5, if you have long tubes then I would go 3", don't really think you need bigger. Are far as muffler, the chambered ones flow well. single out or duel out is personal preference. On my 93 I run a spintech (single out) and it's cut even with the lower valiance. It's quiter them the flowmaster. At idle the car is fairly quite but deep in tone, at WOT it's pretty loud.

If you plan on racing at E-town the flowmasters may not pass the noise restrictions. I ran a Flowmaster 40 Series on my 84Z (355 with headers) loved it around town, and hated it on the highway! On the highway the drone in the car was so bad I thought my ears were going to bleed! So I don't recomemend flowmaster race series mufflers if you are going to do allot of highway driving, look at the 50 or 60 series if you do want flowmaster. If you looking for a deeper tone without noise look at Spintech or Hooker mufflers they are good mufflers and lower cost then others.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning