Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 03-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
1987 T/A TPI 305

Newbie ?: Fuel Pump help! 87 305 TPI

HI! I'm new to this site and I hope I can get some help with my car. I just picked it up. It's a 1987 Trans Am with the TPI 305 and automatic. The problem is, the car won't start. I replaced the coil and module (previous owner thought that was the issue). What's the best way to pull a plug wire to check for fire .. from underneath the car? I can't see the darn plugs from the top! Can I check on the small cap HEI on the car or on the external coil?

I have checked the coil and with key on I have 12.26 volts. I probed the FP/INJ fuse in the inside fuse box and it is getting 10.6 +- volts which seems weird?

It cranks over fine, but won't run. When I turn the key on, I do not hear the fuel pump run. I tried applying 12V+ from my jump box to the test terminal (G I think) on the under dash diagnostic link and it didn't run then either. I have the rear of the car on ramps, trying to figure this out. I saw the three wire connector that runs from behind the rear seats to just near the fuel tank. Thinking this would be the leads for the fuel pump, Im tired to apply 12V+ to each of these threee wires and that did nothing as well. Is this the connector for the fuel pump and the sending unit? The wiring diagrams I can find show the fuel pump positive wire to be a tan wire. The wires on this connector are pinkish red, black and white if I remember correctly. Is there a way to apply direct voltage to the fuel pump w/o dropping the tank to see if it is the problem?

Also, the car has an alarm on it but I don't have the transmitter. I have tried pulling all four fuses from the alarm harness and I still get no power to the fuel pump. Does anyone have any experience with removing an old alarm?

To make things even worse, the steering column was switched to a Camaro steering colum by the prev owner. The column does not have VATS -- at least there is not a chip in the key anyway. I have the original steering column and key and that key doesn't have a chip in it either. I have seen conflicting info on whether a 1987 T/A uses the VATS system. If it does, is there a way to bypass this without going through the radio shack resistor route (technically a little advanced for me maybe)?

Finallly, where is the fuel pump relay located? I have heard that it's the middle of the three relays on the drivers side firewall, but that one on this car is labeled "MAF Power" printed right on the relay.

I apppreciate your help, this is driving me nuts!

My email is brickmechanic@comcast.net and my name is Jim!
1987 T/A TPI 305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

With a stock engine bay, you should be able to at least get to the front two plugs. The rear ones are best to get from underneath.

Could be a dead fuel pump. The 3 wire conenctor is for the fuel pump & guage.

Most alarms piggy back on to existing factory wiring. Should be able to trace all the wires going to the "brain" and remove them all.

Vats didn't start until 1988. I personally never seen any 87's with vats.

I always thought the fuel pump relay was the first relay on the drivers side near the master cylinder. Swap two and see if it makes a difference.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85

Last edited by deadtrend1; 03-10-2008 at 07:51 PM.
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
1987 T/A TPI 305

I Now Have Spark!

OK, so half the battle is over! I now have a nice bright blue spark at the plug wires when cranking. The fuel pump is still dead and at this point I'm assuming it is the pump itself. Wired direct to it and still nothing. SO.... tomorrow I am planning on cutting a hatch in the trunk to access the pump. I know that many purists and also those more mechanically capabl;e then me will flame me, but I have decided that's the way to go. I'm doing this outside in a gravel driveway in NJ. It's cold messy and I don't have the impacts, jacks etc I need to do it the right way.

Does anyone have a diagram on where to cut the floor? It'd be a big help!!

Thanks,
Jim
1987 T/A TPI 305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
deadtrend1

Nothing seems to bring out the opinionated side of F-body owners more quickly than someone asking for help to create a fuel tank access panel to change the fuel pump without dropping the rear suspension, exhaust and tank.

My personal opinion would be to drop the tank. But, if you must, try searching other sites for pictures of other people that did it. They are most likely out there.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I did it and I certainly don't regret it. I knocked it out in 1 night.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

So does the car run now...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
deadtrend1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Racer View Post
So does the car run now...
YUP

Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 T/A TPI 305 View Post
To make things even worse, the steering column was switched to a Camaro steering colum by the prev owner.
I have a Firebird steering wheel on my 89 camaro...wanna swap? haha
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
nj85z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar0ck View Post
I did it and I certainly don't regret it. I knocked it out in 1 night.

Nice. I considered doing that on my SS but instead i dropped the tank by myself with no jacks and changed the pump while the tank was laying on the ground under the car, wasnt that bad...only like 2 hours of work
Old 04-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj85z28 View Post
Nice. I considered doing that on my SS but instead i dropped the tank by myself with no jacks and changed the pump while the tank was laying on the ground under the car, wasnt that bad...only like 2 hours of work
a monte tank is WAY different than a f body setup. i could pull the one in my monte ss in 5 min or less.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
a monte tank is WAY different than a f body setup. i could pull the one in my monte ss in 5 min or less.
i'll time u. i own my own stopwatch.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #12
nj85z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post

true. i had it out yet again today to fix my fuel problem woes.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech