Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Custom supercharger install...

Shortly i hope to be undertaking a custom install of a centrifugal supercharger in my V. However NO ONE makes such a kit for the car as of yet.

So its up to me. Most likely i will be getting an F body kit and adapting it to work for me.
The most complicated part is figuring out how/where to mount the s/c itself.
On an fbody, it has the s/c pulley placed to replace the fixed idler between the alternator and the crank pulley. IN the V there is not enough room the fit it between the motor and the radiator, even with removing the one electric fan. So... I figured i could mount it off to the side some more.

Now here are some rough belt diagrams showing what im thinking, please let me know if you see any issues.
the middle pic was my first concept, but due to how the s/c pulley needs to rotate it would be backwards.

This is the additional idler setup id have to add. I have 2 of theses setups on my '79 vette that im not using. id just have to make a solid bracket to hold them, which shouldnt be too hard IMO.

So... you think i can make it happen?
And yes there will be an intercooler.
And the S/C would also be solidly supported.

Last edited by V; 09-01-2010 at 08:35 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Take a look at the procharger for the G8 for some other ideas. It has the head unit in an odd location.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Take a look at the procharger for the G8 for some other ideas. It has the head unit in an odd location.

ive looked at the GTO kit, not bad but prevent use of an intercooler.
ill check out the G8 stuff.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #4
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

EPP retrofits a Fbody Procharger kit onto the V1; they only allow for inhouse install on it though because of the complication
I'm sure you could get more info from them, and if I remember correctly, there is a hugeee article with install pictures somewhere on the web.

*Edit*

found it: http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=33

^^ maybe that will give you some ideas

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 09-02-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
V
Stalker

yea, i know that install, seems theres only one or two, (black and silver V's) that they've ever done and is FAR from a stock setup in the car. They used the GTO bracket which ive researched and decided against.
Rad and everything was eventually changed in that EPP build. Notice upper rad hose going to driver side. Fans were also swapped to dual pushers in front of the rad. Thats a one-off build not a common install, so therefore im not even looking into how they did stuff, besides for what they charged to do that i would go rear-mount twin turbos, and still have money left over.

----------------

For my setup, my major item will be the custom bracket/mounting plate.
My question is, what material and thickness should i use?
I want to do aluminum due to weight and that it would look better IMO.
Id do 6061-T651 Aluminum, but im not sure on thickness id need.
The stock smaller bracket plate that comes with the kit looks to be no more than 1/2" thick.
So id do 1/2" at the minimum, but probably 5/8" thick just to be safe since the bracket would be about 10"x16"(rough estimate).

I figure a 1'x2' plate of
6061-T651 Aluminum would be big enough and i would use some of the scraps cut off for parts of other brackets.

1'x2' 1/2" plate is about $100
1'x2' 5/8" plate is about $140

Last edited by V; 09-02-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Shortly i hope to be undertaking a custom install of a centrifugal supercharger in my V. However NO ONE makes such a kit for the car as of yet.

So its up to me. Most likely i will be getting an F body kit and adapting it to work for me.
The most complicated part is figuring out how/where to mount the s/c itself.
On an fbody, it has the s/c pulley placed to replace the fixed idler between the alternator and the crank pulley. IN the V there is not enough room the fit it between the motor and the radiator, even with removing the one electric fan. So... I figured i could mount it off to the side some more.

Now here are some rough belt diagrams showing what im thinking, please let me know if you see any issues.
the middle pic was my first concept, but due to how the s/c pulley needs to rotate it would be backwards.

This is the additional idler setup id have to add. I have 2 of theses setups on my '79 vette that im not using. id just have to make a solid bracket to hold them, which shouldnt be too hard IMO.

So... you think i can make it happen?
And yes there will be an intercooler.
And the S/C would also be solidly supported.
Just thinking out loud of a few possible hiccups:

1.) Your diagrams are not close to scale. According to the picture of the engine you would have trouble introducing anything extra between the alternator and power steering in the picture, but in the diagram it looks fine.

2.) According to the last diagram, the supercharger would work off the back of the belt?

3.) I'd be concerned about belt tension. One tensioner on a system like this with one long belt may be iffy regarding belt slip. Plus the belt doesn't look to wrap around the S/C a lot in the last pic- looks like what's in the second pic (contact wise) is better.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Just thinking out loud of a few possible hiccups:

1.) Your diagrams are not close to scale. According to the picture of the engine you would have trouble introducing anything extra between the alternator and power steering in the picture, but in the diagram it looks fine.

2.) According to the last diagram, the supercharger would work off the back of the belt?

3.) I'd be concerned about belt tension. One tensioner on a system like this with one long belt may be iffy regarding belt slip. Plus the belt doesn't look to wrap around the S/C a lot in the last pic- looks like what's in the second pic (contact wise) is better.

ok..
1, yea i know its not to scale but its mainly the idea, if i have time ill try to draw it up realistically. I based that diagram off the stock belt routing picture under the hood.

2. yes, this supercharger runs off the smooth side of the belt, not the ribs. I have to look into that more. The red idler is what is replaced by the S/C in the original f body supercharger setup, how its designed from the manufacturer, and uses the back of the belt there.

3. as in #2, you can see the amount of surface contact is very similar to where it would go on the original f body kit. And i would probably switch to a fixed adjustable style tensioner, not the stock spring loaded one.

Once i actually have the supercharger headunit, then ill get a 1/2" piece of plywood and work on cutting out a design for a bracket and see my mounting options. once a wood template works, mocked up with the idlers as well, then ill transfer it over to some aluminum plate stock.

Also, keep in mind, if this whole thing doesn't work out, its not like i'm stuck with a useless supercharger, ill just use the stock kit and slap it on my SS.

EDIT:

it would be closer to this actually, but once again it isnt 100% to scale. I wont be able to figure out the exact distances etc until i can start mocking it up IN the car, and then i can arrange stuff to maximize belt contact.

Edit #2...

and as for Aluminum, i think id go with the 7075 Aluminum Alloy, which for a 1'x2' section of 1/2" thickness would cost $115.
Im not saying 7075 Al since i have been reading it is stronger than most mild steels and more corrosion resistant than 6061 alloy Al.

Last edited by V; 09-02-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I don't think the stock belt is going to be strong enough or have enough tension to make any boost. You'll probably have tons of issue with belt slip and tearing up belts.

How much clearance is there lower/under the fans. Could you do an install with the blower turned around, facing backwards conpared to how it would mount on an F-body?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Mike
BadMod

would the gto style work with a air to water intercooler and a meth kit to keep it cool when you dont have time to get ice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
V
Stalker

pampered-Z, the rad is way to close to fit it the f-body way, I MAY be able to get away with mounting it after moving the fans, but then theres no way id fit the air intake pipe onto the supercharger.

mike, with the GTO kit, it's the air intake ducting and piping that doesnt easily allow for it. Theres no room to run IC piping up on the passenger side without several major modifications.

with my idea, the IC piping would exit low to the IC then back up past the blower from the driver side into the TB.

-------------

I could possibly make the bracket to mount the unit with pulley forward and then get a ribbed pulley. The reason i liked the pulley back fitment was due to space concerns. but it is something to look into once i have the unit.

Last edited by V; 09-02-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I would try and ditch the low mount alt, stick the head unit there and then relocate the alt up top somewhere.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
I would try and ditch the low mount alt, stick the head unit there and then relocate the alt up top somewhere.
i thought the same but i think that would spin it backwards?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
S.J.SLEEPER

Its a reverse rotation charger must so it will have to run with the bulk of the unit facing away from the motor. running it up top or to the side would be only option
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I would think running a separate crank pulley straight to the supercharger with a tensioned idler would work better. Trying to get the stock serpentine to do all that work is really pushing it.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
I would think running a separate crank pulley straight to the supercharger with a tensioned idler would work better. Trying to get the stock serpentine to do all that work is really pushing it.

i was thinking that too. from what i found out, those add-on blower pulleys do not fit the CTS balancer, so id have to switch to an aftermarket one and then id be good to go.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
BonzoHansen
Admin.

why that style sc and not a magnacharger/roots type setup?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
Its a reverse rotation charger must so it will have to run with the bulk of the unit facing away from the motor. running it up top or to the side would be only option

i was pondering that... but now if it uses the smooth side of the belt and rotates clockwise(as when looking at from the front of S/C) in the normal f body application... If you turn the s/c around so that now the pulley faces forward AND you switch to a ribbed pulley to run the inside of the belt... the s/c would still be turning in a clockwise manner... correct? lol

i hope someone else can make sense of my drawing, but they should equal the same final rotation....

Last edited by V; 09-02-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post

Because the magnacharger is 6k bucks and limited with upgrades.
plus i wanna be different and once i figure out mounting and such i can easily do this for around 3k, plus if i get bored or change my mind, it can go on the SS, a magnacharger cant.

Last edited by V; 09-02-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
V
Stalker

As it seems now, my best bet is to flip the blower so the pulley is facing forward, mount it off to the drivers side, get an ATI Super dampner, Procharger 8 rib bolt-on crank pulley, 8 rib S/C pulley, and a fixed adjustable tensioner setup... along with the custom mounting bracket...
Old 09-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
That's pretty much what I was thinking too. Spend the $$$, be done with it and go fast instead of trying plans A B C D and E.

It'd certainly be cool/different if any of these ideas came to fruition though.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 09-03-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #21
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Some of the SC units have the option if they run clockwise or counter clockwise, you would just need to note the rotation when you order it.

This might be way too much work. But The only other way I can think of is to delete the PS pump ( replace with one of those electric units ), relocate the atl to where the PS was, then put the SC where the alt was.

Sisnce the SC is fred from the back you may also need to fab motor mounts to gain more space ( based on the pic you posted).
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 09-03-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
Slow-V6

Quote:
Because the magnacharger is 6k bucks and limited with upgrades.
plus i wanna be different and once i figure out mounting and such i can easily do this for around 3k, plus if i get bored or change my mind, it can go on the SS, a magnacharger cant.
Having a Magnacharged Caddy isnt different enough?
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/

Last edited by Slow-V6; 09-03-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-V6 View Post
Having a Magnacharged Caddy isnt different enough?
nope, on the forums its one of the most common mods...
Old 09-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #24
Slow-V6

Quote:
Werd. I have never seen one in person. Then again I dont get out much
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
Featherburner

Quote:
There's a reason for that...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning