Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

upgrading sound system

im looking to upgrade my sound system, key words are bang for your buck and KISS (keep it simple stupid). i want to keep my stock headunit and i dont have the monsoon system. i would be insterested in adding an sub/amp but i want my stock headunit.

what does everyone suggest?
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
BullittSVT

For subs and amps look on craigslist for deals, audio there is cheap as dirt so you can pick up a real nice system for cheaper than you think.

For subs, my personal experience and that of other people is.. don't go with cheap brands. You'll hear the difference, especially the more power you go. I'd rather spend a little more than listen to **** from pyles or some other chinese crap box company, it sounds punchy.. not clean and overall unpleasent. I'm very happy with my Alpine Type R mounted to a gigantic bazooka monoblock amp cranking out plenty of power to let that guy rattle your car. If you don't plan on upgrading your speakers (and amp for said speakers), don't get a sub.. you really won't hear much over the bass unless you get some weak sub (but hey, who wants a little bit of bass anyway?).

Speaker choices! Well.. there are only a few companies out there that provide good speakers that'll work decent with no amp, alpine isn't bad, I really like my kenwoods (then again I have the monsoon amp helping and even then it doesnt put out enough). Polk makes a good product, JL sounds great but they're pricey (includes there subs).

Here's my list of some big companies in order that I like them.

Alpine (their budget speakers are okay but it's their top tier that really sounds great, not big on the low's though)

Kenwood (they're not the best speaker company but they perform damn well and have an attractive price range. I have one of their headunits and several speakers from them, very satisfied)

Polk (Again like Kenwood, sound good and are priced right. My brother had some of these in his jeep mounted to his head unit and they were still loud)

Infinity (Have had pleasent results, good sound quality.. can get a little pricey, they can get distorted if you crank them high without an amp)

JL (Expensive but sounds amazing, have not owned any)

Kicker (although I haven't had one of their products, they still sit right with me when I go into my buddies car, decent prices too)

I wouldn't put anything else but these in my cars, you can keep your Sony's, pioneers etc..

These are my current ones
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Kfc-P7...onent+speakers

Great highs, good mids, lacking on the lows but again I have a sub. I also like them paired with my monsoon 4", those suckers can scream!

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SPS-610...=alpine+type+s

These were not bad when I put them in my buddies car, not sure how they'll perform without an amp.

So what're you looking for? Loud? Sound quality? How much is in your budget?

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

Last edited by BullittSVT; 10-22-2012 at 01:24 PM.
BullittSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

You can use a line out converter tapped into the rear speakers (or use the speaker level inputs if the amp has them) to add a amp to the factory system.

I personally dont like that and prefer to use a aftermarket stereo. More control and allows for a cleaner install.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

I want to keep the budget down as much as possible. I don't need a gangster sound system just something that is nice. I wa extremely happy with my buddy's stock monsoon system so something comparable to that is what im Shooting for maybe a bit better. I hate aftermarket heads unit so I def want to keep a stock unit in there if possible. As far as budget I'm just kinda thinking out loud so for now let's say 500 maybe a bit more.

That being being said... I think I would be happy with a speakers upgrade and possible a small amp/sub that will fit in the space next to the t-top well. But what to get I'm lost. Will any speakers work? What specs are good or just go with names?

Thanks for the input so far
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge

Last edited by redsoxsstink; 10-22-2012 at 08:13 PM.
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

My roommate has a single Rockford Fosgate 12in sub in a box and monsoon speakers in his Yukon. Sound great and bumps damn hard
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
BullittSVT

I forgot Rockford Fosgate and Focal, they're also good brands.

If 500$ is your budget, go get a good 4 channel amp for under 100$ On craigslist
200$ For wiring and a stealth box with 10" sub
125$ to play with for the front 6.5"s (4 ohm) and the rear 4" (4 ohm), your sail panel subs are (2 ohm) and replacing them is useless if you have a sub. I also recommend getting a breaker box instead of the whole fuse set up with the power wire. They're so niceee and autozone sells them for like 30$

You even have some extra room for whatever you want, but again if you really want to get the best out of the system GET an aftermarket headunit - if youre not using an amp it makes even more difference

Since you have no monsoon, your speakers are coaxials (no seperate tweeters, monsoons are components mounted coaxially). Go on crutchfield.com and ask their tech department about any info and suggestions, they're pretty helpful. Don't pay their prices though..

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

Last edited by BullittSVT; 10-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.
BullittSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
madness410

i have the same set up you do...no monsoon system. i have an alpine head unit and all you need are 4 3" speakers, 2 up front 2 in the rear. i have alpine type r speakers and they sound really nice..i was going to add a 10" sub and an amp in the back but for now the speakers work great...always been a fan of alpine products.
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
WayFast84

You can't beat this sub for the price. I had it in my Saturn and it sounded great(along with kenwood speakers and a used head unit(don't remember the name) I also had an average amp, It's not going to shake the ground, and wake up the neighbors but it will sound awesome inside the car.

http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-10C104-...rds=kicker+c10

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment