Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #26
Batman
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
In this day and age there is no reason ya can't get an O/D tranny to work in just about any application. I love my 200R4s!

That is what I'm talking about! that is the least expensive O/D transmisson that can take a real beating
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123

Last edited by Batman; 01-04-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #27
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob gable View Post
In this day and age there is no reason ya can't get an O/D tranny to work in just about any application. I love my 200R4s!
I agree, I'd use that over a 700R4 or it's later cousins anyday. Or the 4L80E for real brute force apps.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
That is what I'm talking about! that is the least expensive O/D transmisson that can take a real beating
Yep. A lot of the guys I've seen with real high dollar high hp automatic "street" cars use a 200.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #29
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
Gm installed the powerglide in every car they sold from shoe box novas to vettes to 4000 pound impalas SS cars with all the bells -- the 375 HP 396 chevells were the fastest street cars ever built 65 / 67 with powerglides, high gear is the same 350 400 and iN A glide, its all one to one / and today a 350 does look Heavy duty compared to 700 and alike real steel drums and solid alloy servos and clutch pistons compared to pressed plate like making a dish or spoon yea it works but it has an end not like the others - powerglides today can handle 2500 HP of coarse they are not gm cases but some stuff in them is still OEM original 30 year old components from the original cars they came in -- jz
yes very true, I never had the furtune of a BB back then. So when i think street car and glide I tend to go back to my 283 cars backed with the slip and slide, forget the gear ratio in the rear, I think the 64 impala shifted out of 1st around 65MPH, right before the traps.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #30
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
yes very true, I never had the furtune of a BB back then. So when i think street car and glide I tend to go back to my 283 cars backed with the slip and slide, forget the gear ratio in the rear, I think the 64 impala shifted out of 1st around 65MPH, right before the traps.
P.O.S. Nutech 383 with spun bearings and destroyed Callies crank!

i just read that and i have seen many many callies cranks do just that we think its in the metal ( rockwell ) < its hardness was incorrect and sheared off the bearing material and everone we sonicked was cracked a year old -jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #31
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
P.O.S. Nutech 383 with spun bearings and destroyed Callies crank!

i just read that and i have seen many many callies cranks do just that we think its in the metal ( rockwell ) < its hardness was incorrect and sheared off the bearing material and everone we sonicked was cracked a year old -jz

Speaking of poor rockwell hardness,

John, did you run across a problem with some of Comp's Cams being too soft a little while ago?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #32
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Speaking of poor rockwell hardness,

John, did you run across a problem with some of Comp's Cams being too soft a little while ago?
i have had the pleasure of watching thousands of dollars and countless hours re doing some one Else's mistake -- all the out sourced stuff is up for grabs on hardness and quality - we found the rollers and the cam were the same hardness < only works for a while - and soft crane cams drove me crazy for a few years they fixed it right away but new old stock a year or 2 later always seemed to pop up in a job and boy does that suck on the bottom line - anything can happen to a high end motor that matters to everyone the owner and the shop - but a total piece of crap with sand in the oil runs forever you know what i mean -- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #33
87Fbird

B&M makes one and Hurst makes the swap kits for TH350 and TH400 in third gens. You can use the stock crossmember and stock driveshaft for the TH350 and the kit for the 400 comes with a crosmember to adapt to the difference in the length. But you'll have to have your driveshaft custom. The kits come with torque arm adapters and all the hardware you'll need. It's all bolt in too.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline