Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #26
camaro2you

I have a clunk in the rear of car when i go over bumps and i have checked everything possible, could it be the u joints?
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #27
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Not likely, they usually make noise when you go in and out of gear. Clunking over speed bumps soundls like something else could be bad.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
DrivenZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2you View Post
I have a clunk in the rear of car when i go over bumps and i have checked everything possible, could it be the u joints?
I had a similar problem, it turned out to be my rear lower control arm bushings...they were trashed. I got some new tubular control arms with poly bushings and the car rides like a dream now...no noise.
DrivenZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #29
camaro2you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenZ28 View Post
I had a similar problem, it turned out to be my rear lower control arm bushings...they were trashed. I got some new tubular control arms with poly bushings and the car rides like a dream now...no noise.
Actually turned out to be the drivers side caliper bracket worked itself loose, the locktite must not of grabbed enough threads.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #30
DrivenZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2you View Post
Actually turned out to be the drivers side caliper bracket worked itself loose, the locktite must not of grabbed enough threads.

Ah yes, that will do it...glad to hear you figured it out! Mine haunted me for months before I finally did something about it.
DrivenZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #31
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

i'm bumping this up because i feel like i would like to buy this unit. after contemplating my options, i realize that i'm just not happy with the 12 bolt. the idea of a lighter rear makes sense.

i don't intend on drag racing much or very hard if i do so i believe i should be fine with an aluminum center section. and people are saying this rear is quiet which is one of my primary concerns. is there anything else i should look for or should i bite the bullet and buy the rear?
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Did you try to fix your 12bolt at all?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #33
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Did you forget what I told you? The aluminum center section is really only for lightweight purpose built race cars. With a iron center section the weight savings are minimal if any at all. The m9 uses its own torque arm assembly and does not use any of the stock arm geometry. Also there are no provisions to run the stock rear sway bar. You already have a 12 bolt, the problems you are having are most likely a gear issue, which can happen to any style rear differential. Do what you want but you will definately be spending alot more money and alot more agg going to the M9 rather than repairing the 12 bolt you already own.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #34
qwikz28

Social Networks:

no, i didn't try repairing the 12 bolt yet. i just have a bad feeling about this rear for some reason. it needs a lot of work cause there is alot of different noises coming from my undercarriage.

thanks josh, i was hoping i could get away with the aluminum but it would be wise to trust your experience. i hope your up for the task cause i'm dropping my car off as soon as my GF finishes her lab in two weeks.

ps- josh, a little off topic but do you do exhausts? for example if i wanted a muffler welded in?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #35
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Yes I can weld a muffler in for as well. Just let me know when you want to drop it off..
Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 AM   #36
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
Yes I can weld a muffler in for as well. Just let me know when you want to drop it off..
i'll let you know when i know for sure. i've been trying to drop it off since last year, its just one thing after the other though...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline