Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
V
Stalker

G-body/F-body rear width measurement question

Whats the overall width of a G-body rear 10 bolt axle assembly? axle flange to axle flange.

Whats that measurement on a 4th gen F-body?

and then, whats the distance from the outer edge of the one Lower control arm mounting tab to the outer edge of the other bracket on the other side?

whats that same distance from tab to tab on an f-body?

Thanks in advance.

edit: i found 52.5" G body rear width backing plate to backing plate, can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by V; 03-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
V
Stalker

Hmm, found this....

Body Style
Housing Width
64-67 Chevelle....... 54.250"
68-72 Chevelle....... 55.250"
67-69 Camaro........ 54.250"
62-67 Chevy II........ 52.125"
70-81 Camaro........
55.375"
82-92 Camaro........
55.750"
93-up Camaro........ 59.250"
68-76 Nova............ 54.250"
78-88 A/G Body.....
52.125"

Edit#2:
94-98 Mustang 8.8 5-lug - 60.75”... hmmmmm

so now i just need an answer about the LCA locations....

also came across this site, pretty cool for reference if anyone is ever looking... http://www.1stgencamaro.net/frame.htm

Last edited by V; 03-08-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Whiplash Performance

Paul do would pictures help?
I could always jack up my GN and take pictures of the control arm locations and/or measure it for you or you could stop by and have a look for yourself.
www.intensewhiplash.com

Last edited by Whiplash Performance; 03-08-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Whiplash Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
V
Stalker

Im just curious if the width between LCA locations is the same, but since the rears are about 7" different in overall width, i highly doubt they would line up to each other. Moving an LCA bracket on a rear axle isn't a difficult task so its not a big deal, and i dont want anyone to go out of their way to get me measurements. I figured if someone had a rear housing laying around out of a car or something like that. As of right now. im looking more into the 8.8 mustang housing. They are said to be able to handle a lot of power, and parts are more available/cheaper than an 8.5 10 bolt.

this is just one of my many ideas that goes through my head in the course of a month, but i figure since i do have 2 late 90s 8.8 rears in my backyard... why not. Its something different(main thing i like) and much cheaper than a 12 bolt or 9". Welding a few tabs, shock mount and a cross member into the car for the upper links isnt a big task on a track only car.

plus, i will be buying drag wheels specifically for the car as well in the future so i can work around with bolt pattern and backspacing to make it fit my needs.

Last edited by V; 03-08-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

See, i told you the 4th gen rear is wide. 8.8 is a popular rear to work with. if you get an 8.8 you can narrow it and when you get axles get ones with the right bolt pattern. then you can sell it to some 4th gen monkey someday

still might end up cheaper buying a ready to go 12bolt or 9".

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
See, i told you the 4th gen rear is wide. 8.8 is a popular rear to work with. if you get an 8.8 you can narrow it and when you get axles get ones with the right bolt pattern. then you can sell it to some 4th gen monkey someday

still might end up cheaper buying a ready to go 12bolt or 9".

well the 8.8 from what i've found is only about 1" wider overall, so thats just .5" per side, not too bad. I could account for that with an extra .5" of backspacing when i buy drag wheels. Plus i have 2 good 8.8 housings in my back yard, one with all internals, posi, and ford motorsport 3.73 gears... And its disc brakes already. I could cut the stock LCA brackets and spring perches off one of the spare 10 bolts i have laying around, and have them welded on. Only real fab work would be a crossmember for the upper links, but with the gas tank being replaced by a fuel cell and no need for the panhard bar, brace or TQ arm, there should be room to make something work

Last edited by V; 03-08-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
01ws6TA

The measurements for the lca are 42-1/4 from inside of the lca mounts and 48" to the outside of the mounts, and 40" from center to center of the spring perch mounts.

length of the rear is 61" from rotor hat to rotor hat that's the very most outside measurment witch is 4" narrower than a stock 10 bolt

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/gears-...8-8-build.html

"fords are always breaking thats why I have a chevy to tow it"

Last edited by 01ws6TA; 03-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.
01ws6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ws6TA View Post
The measurements for the lca are 42-1/4 from inside of the lca mounts and 48" to the outside of the mounts, and 40" from center to center of the spring perch mounts.

length of the rear is 61" from rotor hat to rotor hat that's the very most outside measurment witch is 4" narrower than a stock 10 bolt

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/gears-...8-8-build.html

thanks for the link, VERY good info.
I can get just about all the mustang rear parts for free from my backyard and from my friends(mustang fanatics) who'd love the fact im putting it in an f body.

i just dont like his "ladder bar" type setup using only the lower LCAs. IMO too much stress on that bottom point. I would use the F body LCAs, but still use the Mustang style upper control arms, adjustable of course. Thats where an extra mount/crossmember on the body would come into play.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #9
01ws6TA

No problemo. It seems this way is the preferred method for people doing thr 8.8 swap. As a couple people replied that did the swap saying they wished they had done it this way. There is even a company that sells tubular lcas with the 4 link mount already welded to them I belove someone posted them on the first page on that post. Either way I want to do this swap but no welder so. I doubt It will happen for me haha. But Gluck with yours. It's crazy how cheap and strong those 8.8 rears are.

"fords are always breaking thats why I have a chevy to tow it"
01ws6TA is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline