Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
AintQik

Well, bad news, gounding out the PWM pin only worked for a while. Its back to doing the same thing. I was datalogging the computer and it did not seem to be doing anything. The TCC lockup was not showing even when it was locked up. This is driving me nuts. I took the harness out and both TCC and PWM solenoid wires are good, not touching anything else and I yanked all over the harness to make sure. I can't tell ya if the tranny is stock. It seems as if somebody has been screwing with everything. I'm going to try a PCM next. I'd like to rule that out. I can't see how I turn off the TCC solenoid and everything works right. Commanding it on has no effect at all. Only off. Computer, then tcc, pwm solenoids and probably a valvebody while I'm in there. There is a local place that does valvebodies, if they have one that is already done with sonnax stuff I may try that first. Got a feeling its computer. Nothing mech can explain the backwards operation to me.
AintQik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
The_Bishop
Power Member

If you licensed the computer with HP tuners, try writing a stock tune to it with a 'write entire'.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #28
AintQik

I can try that bishop. I think they have different injectors in it tho. Why? I dunno when they blew it up they probably just stuck whatever crap they had laying around in there. I will see if it will run with a stock file. Well before that I can compare and see if the tables are changed.

Speaking of that, if I do order a "blank" reman computer, can I rewrite it with HPT? I would hate to get one and have to take it to GM. Vats, or the vin may screw me up. You ever do that?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
The_Bishop
Power Member

You can't write a blank computer with HPT. There are companies that can sell you a new/reman computer with a stock flash in it and the correct VIN/PCM number so you don't have to blow more $$ on credits to re-license it.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
AintQik

Well, that makes the PCM swap much more of a pain in the ass.

I was comparing files, and besides PE, there is really not much else changed. I don't know why the tuner said he saw a different injector table. I'm not finding it.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #31
greenformula92

There's a guy on eBay that works for gm that sells used pcm's. After the sale he programs it using your vin. Ive used him with great success. I had a business card I'll have to try and find it

Edit: eBay user spareecm. It just came to me lol

2018 Silverado 1500

Last edited by greenformula92; 11-11-2013 at 08:03 PM.
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
AintQik

Thanks, I will look him up.

Stock tune made it slighly better. For 10 minutes it actually works fine, then it goes back. It does lock, but will not hold. Of course commanding the TCC sol off will hold it for an hour. Give it a slight bit of pedal and it locks, let go and it unlocks.

I took the pan off and the fluid was crap. I took the TCC and PWM sols out and I did not see the screens blocked. The orings could have been in better shape, they seemed a bit dry. I doubt they are the issue, they don't seem terribly bad. But, next time I'm in there I will change them and the solenoids. New fluid and filter had no effect of course.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #33
AintQik

Ok, update for anyone who cares. If nothing else I get to hear myself think and possibly come up with an idea. Car still acting up. With new fluid and when the tranny is cold it works fine. Little bit of heat in the fluid and it fails. Trans temps are in the 140s so I know its not too hot.

Datalogging, I see the computer commanding the TCC to lock. When it bounces out, I see no change in any of the status bits. Computer still showing the lock commands, still shows the TCC activated. No changes whatsoever. This leads me to believe its pressure related. So, instead of the computer I'm going to try the valve body and all new solenoids. Today I did get a couple of P1870s, which I did not get before but I was screwing with the lock command.

Based on the good performance when cold, that fact that no computer inputs are directing this and the fact that now and again I see a P1870, even though I'm doing it with the commands, my best guess is valve body. I guess I'll see when it comes in.

Oh, also, for people looking for a 98 computer they are rather hard to come by. $300 for a flashed one vice $89 for the 99-00 ones. That plus a $150 core is pretty steep. If I could be out for $89 I would throw a computer at it, but for that kind of money I'm going to hold off.

Last edited by AintQik; 11-14-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
The_Bishop
Power Member

Possibly the valve body isn't torqued right, or the paper gaskets failed? Either that or the pump is going out.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
AintQik

Slim chance its the pump according to lots of folks I talked to, but there is a chance. With my luck...

Everything else will be replaced next week when the parts come in. The bolts on the VB seemed a bit loose, but nothing that I would think caused issue. If the gasket went it went. I'm hoping its something there. I got a new valve body that has been reamed and sleeved, sonnax solenoid, Transgo plate, new TCC solenoid, basically everything I can get to thru the pan. I am hoping it gets it.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #36
The_Bishop
Power Member

Yeah, if the bolts loosened up, it could have blown out a part of the gasket on the separator plate, which would cause an internal leak. That could cause all sorts of oddball mayhem.

Did you get a replacement separator plate and the two gaskets? You'd be nuts not to change that while you have the valve body out.

Quote:
Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #37
AintQik

Yeah I got a transgo plate and gaskets.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #38
greenformula92

any chance that the majority of the fluid is past its prime. you will lose trans pressure with that. a machine flush would be the only thing to get it all though...just a thought

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #39
AintQik

Ran into a little snag replacing my valve body. The 1-2 accumulator had the 2 springs in the piston closest to the pan, but no spring in the piston in the case. I'm too trans stupid to know if this is some kind of mod, or some idiot put this back together. I checked everythign 3 times and there was no spring. I remember when taking the seperator plate off that I should have felt something, but nope. You can also see where the upper piston was resting on the seperator plate, it left marks. Maybe this is some kind of shift mod? I dunno. Had to pause till I figure this out.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #40
AintQik

Well for prosperity lets say that the 4th accumulator is sometimes installed without a spring. I think you are supposed to block the port when u do that but he'll I dunno what has been done in there. I'm about to just go buy another whole tranny. However since I have no spring, don't really feel like waiting on a spring, I guess I will put it back together the way it was. Unless one of you all correct me, I don't think that accumulator has any effect on the TCC lockup. At least I can see if this helps. I keep dumping burnt fluid out, so I think the whole damn thing is gone, but the shifts were always good. Still hoping for a save. On the Brit side it gets a little pinker each dump lol.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
AintQik

No joy. Swapped the converter back to stock as well and after about 45 mins it failed. So heat gets it to slip. No idea.

New trans and converter on the way. We will see.

Last edited by AintQik; 11-26-2013 at 07:32 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline