Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 08-26-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
jims69camaro

carb question (knowledgeable carb guys)

'69 camaro, electric choke holley carb 4160 vacuum secondaries.

car was fine yesterday when i took it out. about a mile from my destination, it stalled and was really hard to start. finally, i take the air filter assembly off and i look down into the carburetor. gas was just running down into it from the venturi arms(even after i turned the key off, it still ran down in there for about thirty seconds, then stopped). if i adjust the idle at the throttle cable, i can get it to run enough to limp home, but now i have no idea what is happening. why would gas be pouring into the back two barrels? i adjusted the mixture screws, but they have zero effect on this. is there something that needs to be replaced, cleaned, or what?

p.s. a tech article i read says that i need a rebuild kit, as it likely has a bad needle and seat assembly. if anyone can confirm this, i would feel better about plunking down the $50 for the rebuild kit.

also, i am going to try to adjust the float level tomorrow. if that doesn't work, and i can get some kind of consensus then i will buy the rebuild kit. oh, and if you can direct me to the correct rebuild kit, that would be awesome.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

definately sounds like a needle and seat issue. not a big deal really.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
The Fixer

Don't forget to check and change the oil ASAP. Raw fuel mixed with oil washes the rings down in a hurry and can kill a motor.

And it does seem like a stuck needle/seat to me as well, tho I have no experience with Holleys (and only limited experience with the electronic Q-Jets of the '80s).

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #4
jims69camaro

thanks for the replies and the headsup on the oil change. i wouldn't want to exacerbate the situation any. if the float level can't correct the problem then i will definitely get the rebuild kit.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
Old 08-26-2004, 11:44 PM   #5
Slow Z
11 Second Club

its either

1) needle/seat is stuck (either because its old and cruddy OR because your fuel pressure is too high)
2) float is stuck, or level is adjusted too high
Old 08-27-2004, 05:55 AM   #6
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Z
your fuel pressure is too high
and the only way to check that is to spend bucks on a fuel pressure guage. sears has a nice one. i was also checking out the Craftsman compression tester, which comes with a coupla different hoses and adapters. i may just have to slap the old sears card down for some new tools.

except i can't buy the fact that the fuel pressure changed that much within a coupa miles.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech