Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
LS1Hawk

Hawthorne Chevy

Anyone ever take their car there for service? If so how are they?

I need to bring my Cobalt in again for the god awful interior noises it is making. It makes a loud rattle/popping sound from the passenger side rear anytime I go over a bump or make a turn. I took it in the past to Preakness Chevy twice for this and they never seemed to be able to figure out what it was or how to fix it. Since they are out of business Hawthorne seems like the only other Chevy dealer in my area (Oakland).

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 09-06-2009 at 07:34 AM.
LS1Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
V
Stalker

Thats the ONLY dealer my SS ever goes to.
I even took my Denali there.

They helped me out a lot, took very good care of my cars, and worked fast.

My SKY will be going there in about 2 weeks to get the ecm reflashed for the GM stage II turbo upgrade.

They may try to jack up prices on the new camaros but their service department is the best ive ever dealt with in the area.

Ive walked out of Paramus Chevy, westwood chevy(closed now), bergenfeild chevy(almost kicked out but closed now), and i dont think im too welcomed at Englewood chevy anymore(was on a first name basis with the owner)

Last edited by V; 09-06-2009 at 08:02 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

My dad has had some issues with their service department... told him he needed brakes when he didnt, oil spilled all over the engine cover, tire rotation without changing the tire locations for the sensors, etc... they have been good about working the issues out though

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.

Last edited by Savage_Messiah; 09-06-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
V
Stalker

to be more specific about my experiences, with my ss, i brought it in for a starter under warranty, when i picked it up the next day, they had plastic covering the seat, a floormat, small plastic bag on the shifter and one even around the inner door pull.
the second time i brought it in, the rear was blown after being fixed a month earlier by another dealer, i talked to them and if just a gear was damaged, theyd put in for a whole new axle assembly from rotor to rotor, no just swapping small parts. they called me the morning they had it to tell me the GM protection plan coverage i had wouldnt pay for a second rear repair in such a short time and it had to get towed to the first dealer, they apologized they could not help me any.

Then with my denali, 4wd didnt work right, was locking up. they had it for 4 weeks, changed a TON of stuff, COMPLETE front differential, transfer cas stuff, switches and all, still didnt fix it. after a week i told them i needed a loaner, my extended warranty covered i think 25 a day... they gave me a 2005 chevy tahoe since they were working on my SUV, didnt even go through my warranty. The service writer remembered me from bringing in my SS. finally the fault was found to be the wrong gear ratio (non-stock) in the rear axle and my warranty wouldnt cover that so back to the dealer i bought it from it went for 2 more weeks, where they finally changed the rear gears and all was good(that was englewood chevy, they gave me a aveo loaner...)

Last edited by V; 09-06-2009 at 11:39 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
creeper

my dad and brother take their cars there, no problems

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
LS1Hawk

Sounds overall like they are OK to deal with. I have been having this issue with the noise since the car had about 12K on the odometer back in '07. I figure I'm going to try to get it fixed one more time since I'm still under warranty. Hopefully they can do something about it.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
CamaroJoe1987

does it make a noise wen you only make a right turn, or is it both left and right turns wen it makes the noise?

NORTH
1987 Camaro LT V8
2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser=POS
1981 Chevy El Camino
CamaroJoe1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
LS1Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe1987 View Post
does it make a noise wen you only make a right turn, or is it both left and right turns wen it makes the noise?
It makes the sound during both left and right turns, but mostly left. It also makes the sound if am at a stop and start to gas up, and when coming to a stop. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere from the passenger side b-pillar to the rear of the car. Although I have heard it a few times on the driver's side.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
blueshark123

Great dealership. We got our suburban from there
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
myfoot2020

My 1980 Z28 was sold new at Hawthorne. I'm planning a 30 year reunion photo shoot next spring. Nice to know there still around and folks have good things to say about them.
myfoot2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
89 Trans Am WS6

I put rear shocks in a car that had a very similar sounding problem. noise went away. This cobalt had slightly higher mileage but still not enough that you would think it was "due" for them.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
LS1Hawk

Shocks are okay. I was able to fix the problem on my own. On a whim I greased the door strikers/latches and the sound has disappeared. Was body flex all along. But I did go there recently when my antenna broke. They fixed it and were good to deal with. So I would go back.

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 12-19-2009 at 03:08 PM.
LS1Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey