Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #101
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...es-fed-up.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffs
The engine control module (ECM) uses the generator field duty cycle signal circuit to monitor the duty cycle of the generator. The generator field duty cycle signal circuit connects to high side of the field windings in the generator. A pulse width modulated (PWM) high side driver in the voltage regulator turns the field windings ON and OFF. The ECM uses the PWM signal input to determine the generator load on the engine. This allows the ECM to adjust the idle speed to compensate for high electrical loads. The ECM monitors the status of the generator field duty cycle signal circuit. When the ignition is ON and the engine is OFF, the ECM should detect a duty cycle near 0 percent. However, when the engine is running, the duty cycle should be between 5-95 percent.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #102
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
So it appears it is a function of the alternator whether it needs the duty field cycle wire to be connected to the ECM. I am guessing the F-car alternator is in "charge" all the time, but the trucks have an "on demand" feature to try to salvage expected life from the rectifier circuit? Does that make sense? There is a LOT of information on that page.

At any rate, since I am going to use the truck alternator in the car and it is not a sensor where resistance is a big deal, I don't have any issue just extending the wires with some butt splices and heat shrink over them.

NINJA EDIT BASTARD!

Last edited by PolarBear; 04-29-2013 at 09:00 AM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #103
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Do it
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #104
PolarBear

Lol
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #105
PolarBear

Basically got my wiring harness finished today. All I have to do is integrate the harness into the AAW harness that I bought. I still need to buy some wire wrap, I am going to go with something like Techflex, it is a nylon weave that is split, you just spread it and put the wire in and tape the ends. The wire for the connectors and whatnot can come out where ever needed. The Holley harness that I have has it and I really liked it, so I want to use that.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #106
transmaro93

didnt read through all the posts... lazylol... what color is this car going?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #107
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmaro93 View Post
didnt read through all the posts... lazylol... what color is this car going?
In the end it will likely be 71 "Citrus green"
Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #108
PolarBear

Ok, so I learned that the StainlessWorks headers won't work with my 3rd gen 5 speed bellhousing today. I ground down the bracket for the slave cylinder until it no longer interfered with the headers. Then and only then did I realize there was not enough room for the slave cylinder.
So looks like I am going to have to run an LS1 T56 instead of this aftermarket unit that I had in there in the first place. Now I will either have to rebuild the other transmission or find one that is better than the one I already have. And hopefully my driveshaft will still work, the hole in the trans tunnel etc.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #109
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Just the SW headers, or any LS1 headers? I have a couple pairs you could try, if you think a different manufacturer's design may clear your slave cylinder, and let you retain your primary transmission choice.

Besides, maybe I could use a LS1 T56, if you have one collecting dust

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 05-12-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #110
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Looks good. Should get the intake dipped with a carbon fiber pattern. T-bolt clamps for the intake eh?

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #111
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Just the SW headers, or any LS1 headers? I have a couple pairs you could try, if you think a different manufacturer's design may clear your slave cylinder, and let you retain your primary transmission choice.

These are swap specific headers, I doubt anything else will work. They are also 1 7/8", I'm not getting different ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
Looks good. Should get the intake dipped with a carbon fiber pattern. T-bolt clamps for the intake eh?
Yuck, if it's not real carbon fiber it doesn't go on the car. T bolts as opposed to.....? Worm gear? I just got them with the silicone tubing.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #112
WSex

header problems? turbo manifolds will fix that
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #113
PolarBear

No, transmission problems. I am staying N/A
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #114
Blackbirdws6

Dipped would look better than factory black plastic. T bolts are usually for boosted setups so I was just making a joking comment which didn't appear to be taken that way. They do look better than the cheapo standard clamps.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #115
PolarBear

I may paint the manifold, it's a little dirty right now and it needs to be cleaned well before I tighten everything up. I despise the way the carbon fiber dip looks, I'd rather cover it in mud, or animal Crap first.
I like the worm gear clamps that have the extension to cover the gear path so the rubber can't extrude through the holes, but it was just easier to get the t bolt clamps when I bought the other stuff. In the end most of that stuff is going to wind up in the firebird anyway
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #116
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Found another transmission already You must be looking too hard. I'll have a bunch of stuff for you if you want to do a conversion though, Between Mike and I, we probably have what you need minus the trans...
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #117
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
These are swap specific headers, I doubt anything else will work. They are also 1 7/8", I'm not getting different ones

Yuck, if it's not real carbon fiber it doesn't go on the car. T bolts as opposed to.....? Worm gear? I just got them with the silicone tubing.

you can have your cake and eat it too...it'll just cost more
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:38 AM   #118
Mike
BadMod

What is the point of light weight carbon fiber on covers that will add weight just by adding them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #119
Blackbirdws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
What is the point of light weight carbon fiber on covers that will add weight just by adding them
If the pieces are entirely carbon fiber and you still want a cover, it would be the lightest option. I see what you are saying though.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 05-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #120
PolarBear

You're right, I can have my cake and eat it too

Ijust don't want or need those for a stock 4.8

Last edited by PolarBear; 05-15-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #121
PolarBear

I could buy a CF intake for SBC too. My friend makes a carbon fiber intake replacement for the Holley stealth ram
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #122
PolarBear

For ****s and giggles I grabbed the LH side 3rd gen swap header and tried it in the Camaro. It would probably fit and work with a standard LS T56, but it hits the clutch slave bracket in a different way.
Oh well, lined up another T56 anyway, going to pick it up Saturday, in New Hampshire
Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #123
PolarBear

OK, so with the "new" transmission I have to move things around a bit, or buy another driveshaft. Considering that I bought this driveshaft and I dont really want to buy another one, I decided that since the LS T56 bellhousing is ~1" shorter than what I had in there I will just move the engine back the necessary amount. I pulled the LR4 and T56 out and put them to the side and put the LS1 T56 on my mockup block with the adapter plates and clamshells attached, also with the heads, intake and headers on and put it in the car to see how everything is going to work. Since the shifter sits about 3" rearward on this transmission I knew I was going to have to cut the shifter/tunnel hole larger anyway, plus the shifter base is longer on the LS1 T56. I just had to cut into the body brace in the transmission tunnel, if I wasnt moving the engine I wouldn't have gotten into it at all.

Here is how the front of the engine sits now, it is a little difficult to tell since I dont have a front cover for this engine, but the front of the engine sits about even with the centerline of the front wheels now. Moving the engine back a whole 1.25" and the LS engines are ~1" shorter than Gen 1-3 SBC's I should have a good line on space and weight distribution. When I had the BBC in the car I had about 3/4" or less between the water pump and fan, now I am thinking it will be close to 4" space

There is still about an inch of space from the firewall to the back of the heads, the back of the intake sits about 1/2" to the firewall, the headers are in no danger of hitting the floor or firewall. I think this is going to work out fairly well.

Tomorrow I need to put the transmission crossmember in and make sure that I have enough tunnel room all around the transmission. I have the trans jacked "into place" but I want to make sure the crossmember goes in properly. It is fully adjustable front-to-back so I just need to loosen the bolts and slide it back, if at all. I am only worried about tunnel clearance because Scott had interference issues at the front of the transmission in his '77, but I think the consensus was that the later cars have different tunnels than early cars.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #124
PolarBear

Bolted the trans crossmember in the car, didnt even have to move it because the mounting pad has slotted holes. I would highly recommend that crossmember to anyone with a second gen.

After the crossmember was in I put the driveshaft in, that was all good too. There is still plenty of space all the way around the trans in the tunnel too.

Also got the holes drilled to move the clam shell mounts back 1.25" inches. Once I weld in some metal to close up the shifter hole a bit, since the other transmission shifter was so much farther forward, I can put the engine and transmission back in for the last time (that is until I get a new engine). I also plan on bench bleeding the clutch master and slave so I dont have to mess with that in the car at all. I didnt get a remote bleeder and I dont see how it would be possible to do that in the car. Still have to find the Tick master I bought though, I lost it in the house.....
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #125
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produc...vers-sdpc.html

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects