Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > The Later Years 93-present

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

Thumbs up The Elusive Striped Catfish - My '01 Z/28

I've been out of the f-body scene for the last couple of years with a heavy work schedule and a slow but progressive build coming together. But now that it's almost complete, I'm stoked to start getting back into the swing of things... and driving it

This is my 2001 Z/28, dubbed "The Elusive Striped Catfish" by an OG member here. I bought it in August 2005 from a local dealer here in Denville, NJ after owning 4 third gen Firebirds/Formulas/Trans Ams. It was quite the jump in performance... after dealing with 4bbl carbs and 305's ever since I've gotten my license . But I loved it. And it wasn't long until I started modding...

The day after I bought my Z/28. I was in love. Notice my old '89 Pro/Am for sale in the background .

Shortly after I purchased it, I bought some TT2's, an SS Wing, a billet grill, and had the tail panel painted black. I also installed a Pypes 3" catback and a MTI Lid, and had it dropped 2 inches.

My car earned it's nickname "The Elusive Striped Catfish" shortly after I installed 'hockey stripes' on it. I've had so many compliments for how well my car looked. It's won several local cruise nights and car shows for it's class, it's won COTM on NJFBOA twice, and appeared in three calendars (1 NJFBOA, 2 Local Car Clubs'). After I put the stripes on, I installed Pacesetters, an ORY-Pipe, ditched the Pypes Catback for a Hooker, and did some suspension work on it. I left it like that for the next 3 years with the exception of selling my TT2's and I was happy with it.

I'm the kind of person to keep changing things on my vehicles constantly. So having my car look the same for three years was overdue. I purchased a VFN Sunoco Hood & an RK Sport 5" High Rise wing. It really stood out.

About 2 years ago, I've been having some issues with the motor. There was valvespring issues ontop of a blown head gasket. Not to mention I had a snapped header bolt in the driver side head that couldn't be extracted without popping the head off. So I got some funds together and decided it was time to go with a new setup. I installed PRC Stage 2.5 Ported LS6 heads, TSP 224R Cam, TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump, 7.400" Hardened Pushrods, Cloyes LS1/LS2 Double Roller w/ZO6 Timing Chain, Summit Racing Harmonic Balancer, Kooks 1.875" Stainless Steel Longtube Headers, Kooks 3" Stainless Steel Off-Road Y-Pipe, Borla Stainless Steel 3" Adjustable Catback, SLP Airlid w/smooth belows and K&N Filter, TR6 Spark Plugs, and MSD 8.5" Wires. Next up is a tune, T56 swap and a new rear.

Heres a video of the first start-up with the new setup.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
chrisfrom nj

looks great noah welcome back man
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

looks great and not to far from many of us up here !

so what's in store for it next
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
maroman88
12 Second Club

haa wow nice to see its still around!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > The Later Years 93-present