Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Untamed

Alternator: Rebuild or Buy New?

Once again the TA won't start. Since I traced the problem to low voltage from previous similar experiences, some time ago, I expected the same problem again. Sure enough, not enough cranking amps after running the car at low speeds a few times throughout 2007 around the storage place. After chasing the wires in a bunch of places with a volt meter and aligator clips, I can only conclude that the alternator is bad.

So now the question is: do I rebuild the one I have, or buy a new one? I've never rebuilt one before, and would like to learn how, but I don't want to sink money into the thing only to have to buy a new one anyway. How difficult is it for a person with some skill and smarts to do it? Are there any online guides you guys have used / recommend to help me? I searched on Google and came up with all kinds of guides, but they are all over the place with their directions. One clown put up a wiki that looked real hokey.

Is it worth it to rebuild the alternator, or is the cost of a rebuild kit almost as much as a referb'ed alt?

Thanks!
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.

Last edited by Untamed; 01-21-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

I'd get a refurbished one, I personally don't think it's worth the hassle. Hell, I've got a stack of working alternators stored with my car. Two are refurbished with only a few hours of runtime, and if one fits you can have it. How quick do you need one? I'd have to dig one up.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Untamed

Awesome Bill, thanks!

Soonest I'd get back to my car to put it in is this weekend, with no guarantee that this weekend will do. Goes back to that thread about relationships and priorities.

I think I need a 120 Alt, but not certain. No heavy load since I dont have any aftermarket electronics.

Let me at least buy you a beer at the next meeting we're together. Being in Raritan, you're on my way home since I work near Morristown and live in Hillsborough.

Thanks!

EDIT: Book says 105, not 120 I guess.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

Last edited by Untamed; 01-21-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
WildBillyT

I hear ya man. I'll head to the shop tomorrow to take a look.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Rebuild kits use to be cheap, but last time I checked for the price of a rebuilt kit, most times for a few bucks more you can get a reman. with lifetime warranty.

Rebuild is easy; the kits contain the bearings, springs/brushes and diode/regulator. Basically mark how the 2 cases so you know how they line up, take it apart, clean it out, and install the new parts. The biggest PITA is usually getting the pulley off the front, and sometinmes the bearings can be a pain. GM alts are fairly easy to work on. I've taken many apart to polish the cases. There really isn't a lot to them. you'll see when you open it up how the brushes sit, during reassembly you slide toothpicks into the holes in the case to hold them back out of the way.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
Awesome Bill, thanks!

Soonest I'd get back to my car to put it in is this weekend, with no guarantee that this weekend will do. Goes back to that thread about relationships and priorities.

I think I need a 120 Alt, but not certain. No heavy load since I dont have any aftermarket electronics.

Let me at least buy you a beer at the next meeting we're together. Being in Raritan, you're on my way home since I work near Morristown and live in Hillsborough.

Thanks!

EDIT: Book says 105, not 120 I guess.

buying him a beer would require you BOTH to be at the SAME monthly meet. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
buying him a beer would require you BOTH to be at the SAME monthly meet. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME
Or Tuesday CNJ CFS meet.

Those pulleys come off easy with an impact gun.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
Untamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Or Tuesday CNJ CFS meet.

Those pulleys come off easy with an impact gun.
Might have to make arrangements to pick up Bill then drive down to a CFS meet.

I'm going to take apart the old alternator and fiddle with that. I still want to learn what makes the damn thing tick, so to speak.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
WildBillyT

Ok, I was able to find the two of them that are in very good shape. I've got a collection of 5 LOL. They are both for V-Belt applications. I don't have any "newer" stuff anymore, I tossed the serpentine alternators last year. I have the sinking feeling that those are what you needed.

1: Delco DL7127M 10SI 63 amp alternator from Autozone. Clocked at 12:00.
2: Delco 1100217 12SI 78 amp alternator (they stamped over the amp rating on the unit but I looked it up and it seems to be 78 amps.) Clocked at 3:00.

Have a look at this and let me know if either fit the bill.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Yea, 87 was the changeover year for 3rd gens (serp and V belt), and 88-92 were all serp. belts.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Untamed

Yep need the serp belt ones.

Shootskie!

Thanks for looking Bill. I'll still buy you a beer if we meet up.

Got the battery recharged at Autozone yesterday, so just need to replace the alt.

So close!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring