Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

Fan wiring question

OK my 92 L98 Z has the A/C removed. The 2nd fan wont kick on at all. If its > 70* out its OK but any hotter and the gauge sits at 3/4 while idling for 5+ mins. I took it to a friend that owns a garage and we pulled the wiring diagram. He was able to jump the relays so the 2nd fan came on with the first. IIRC it was a grey wire from the main relay, and a pink or blue from the 2nd. Once we established that kicked the other fan on, we were going to run a switch but he mentioned cutting the factory harness to isolate the wire incase something else energized it. I am NOT a fan of cutting/hacking factory wiring so I just said leave it as is.

Is there a "Correct" way to jumper them, or run a switch which still runs through the factory relay safely w/o cuting the harnesses? I have the schematic for the Taurus fan install but will probably wait till next year when I throw in a Griffin and hopefully a freah motor.

IIRC the 2nd fan runs through the cycle switch from the A/C which is disconnected, so chances of the factory circuit completing is probably null. I know why he wanted to snip it, but that just doesnt sit well with me.

TIA
NumberTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

Oh, and I did search but being I am teh suckz with wiring diagrams nothing really made sense for what Im looking to do.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

well if its dual electric fans, most cars use one for cooling and one for a/c to pull air across the evap core. so if you don't have your a/c setup it won't turn on. you could just run wires from the fan motor to a relay to a switch. i assume it has a separate relay in stock form for each fan, so either trace those wires and tap where you feel comfortable or rerun the wires and loom them for a clean "stock" appearance.

edit: i just reread your post. there is definitely a proper way to wire it up, someone who has more exp. with 3rd gens will chime in with it. you can still use your factory relay and run it off of a swith. pretty basic.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 04-24-2008 at 06:27 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

Thanks, Sweet. Im sure its basic but with my luck (If it were raining vaginas Id get hit in the head with a penis) Id light my car on fire.

On an unlrelated note, being you're a sweetbmxrider, find me a Quadangle from the early 80's like I used to ride for under 500 (Frame and fork)

Thanks though, I appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

haha i'll keep an eye out.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

2 posts down... http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33759

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

2 post down is 91 DropTop

And I quote :
you should be running the switch to a relay and the relay to the fans, the fans pull too many amps for a switch alone esp dual fans....your not at federated anymore

This might help me, if I was a Bonzo... Oh wait...

Edit - You're farking kidding me? You're what the board has to offer in terms of help?

Last edited by NumberTwo; 04-25-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Sad to be a member.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

Maybe this is what you were talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Search this forum, there are a bunch of wiring diagrams posted. Get a real fan switch & some relays.
I searched this slow ass forum and if I had found my answer, do you think I would have asked?

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 04-25-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: reported post for language
Old 04-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #9
NumberTwo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
So Im not a total ****, what did I ask for in my initial post? Huh?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberTwo View Post
So Im not a total ****, what did I ask for in my initial post? Huh?

Thanks for your help.
Too late not be a total ****.

"Is there a "Correct" way to jumper them, or run a switch which still runs through the factory relay safely w/o cuting the harnesses? "

There is a diagram for running 2 fans there. You would just have to rewire the trigger circuit on the one fan to match. Oh, w/o cutting the harness? No. You are doing that no matter what. Sorry, I should have added that little sentence, I assumed you would figure that out on your own. Next time I'll know to spoon feed you.

This one shows a basic 2 relay setup.
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...2&postcount=21

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 04-25-2008 at 10:51 AM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberTwo View Post
Maybe this is what you were talking about

I searched this slow ass forum and if I had found my answer, do you think I would have asked?

wow....just wow. thanks for the edit Scott. If he cant help himself dont even waste your time.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

What is the condition of your cooling system in general? When was the last time you did a coolant flush? What proportion antifreeze/water are you running? What temperature is your thermostat? Are you running underdrive pullies?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:33 AM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

why does that have to do with his cooling fan switching on at the "proper" temp (not sure what temp exactly)??? he wants to run a second fan through a relay to a switch and maintain a factory appearance. use the relay you jumped as the basis. trace the wire that would go to the a/c side of the hvac controls, and wire it into a hot switch with either ignition on or always hot (whichever you want/are comfortable with). there are posts with wiring diagrams on how to do such a thing. a little time and patience will go a long ways!!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

To answer your question, it there a way without hacking the factory harness.

Maybe, Jet technology and Hypertech use to sell manual fan switch kits. Been a while, I think they were about $100, which is why everyone just started building their own. The Kit is basically a connector that fits into the harness, you then mount the switch and attach the ground wire.

BTW, building your own isn't that involved and you really won't be "hacking" the harness in that it's not allot of cutting and such, you just need to peal off a bit of the covering. From the EMC a green (primary) and blue (secondary) wires run to the fan relays. You will need to look at a shop manual for the pin outs. All you need to do it tap into either or both, then run a wire to a switch, and the the switch to a ground. Since you're working on the ground side you don't need to worry about adding additional relays. The fan will operator as factory until you flip the switch. If the AC is removed but the switch in still in the dash maybe all you need to do it jumped the wires that ran to the compressor to make a manual fan switch using that?

Also, what WildBillyT was asking about is because the car shouldn't run that hot at idle, the fan switch is more of a bandaid for what could be a bigger problem. You might want to go over the entire cooling system, flush, check hoses, temp sensor, thermostat etc.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring