Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
V
Stalker

need help reading schematic

in the image, look at the vehicle speed sensor... between it and the ecm, theres the triangle with the exclamation point in it. to the right of that, wires 400 and 401 are "circled" with what resembles an infinty sign..
what the hell does that mean though? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image2.JPG (42.4 KB, 24 views)
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Is this for the gp? I'm looking in the f body book I have and those colors & circuit nums match the 3.8L. But those notations are not present. Let me check another book.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is this for the gp? I'm looking in the f body book I have and those colors & circuit nums match the 3.8L. But those notations are not present. Let me check another book.

that diagram is for a 2001 GTP, basically the same wiring as the 2001 Monte SS we did a motor swap. we tore the speed sensor connector off when we yanked the motor, and even repaired, its not picking up a signal. i dunno if its special wiring or im missing something else...
Old 04-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

My olds 3.5 is the same colors & circuit nums too, but no notation. I don't think that represents anything real. Did you try running an ohm meter to look for opens or STGs?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 04-21-2008 at 07:52 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

whats the year, make, model, engine? i'll look it up in alldata tomorrow to see if its different or has an explanation. but that is kinda weird.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
that diagram is for a 2001 GTP, basically the same wiring as the 2001 Monte SS we did a motor swap. we tore the speed sensor connector off when we yanked the motor, and even repaired, its not picking up a signal. i dunno if its special wiring or im missing something else...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
whats the year, make, model, engine? i'll look it up in alldata tomorrow to see if its different or has an explanation. but that is kinda weird.
Reading FTW

Quote:
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

is there only one motor?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Knipps

3.8L V6

Quote:
dumbass.

Last edited by Knipps; 04-21-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

sweet 3.8's are they series 2 or 3? 01 has gotta be a 2 actually
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Stevoone

I'm pretty sure it means that the wires are a twisted pair. They usually do that on wheel speed sensor wires to reduce interference. There is also supposed to be a certain number of twists per inch.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I looked in my 96 camaro manual and the speed sensor circuit for the 3.8 is the same color, gauge, and both wires are the same circuit number. there is no goofy infinity sign though. I have no idea what that is all about.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #12
91DropTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
I'm pretty sure it means that the wires are a twisted pair. They usually do that on wheel speed sensor wires to reduce interference. There is also supposed to be a certain number of twists per inch.
im thinking the same thing that it just represents a twisted pair...ive seen same symbol on truck schematics for a data link witch is also a twisted pair
91DropTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #13
V
Stalker

i thought about a twisted pair, but the wires were not twisted in the section leading from the wire loom to the sensor, about 7 inches just wrapped with plain black tape. so maybe...

the wiring was secured right by the sensor so it wouldnt hang out a little into the moving CV axle. maybe that represents it needs to be secured?

motor is the N/A series 2 3.8 fwd v6. auto.

Im now thinking maybe when the wire ripped out at first, it broke the wire inside the sheathing further up also, so the circuit is open. When i get a chance, i'm gonna get some similar gauge wiring(like 28Ga ) and run it straight from the sensor to the ECM pinout terminals and see if i get a reading.

and BTW, i asked around the barracks here, quite a few 63 Bravos(mechanics) and none of them have any clue. lol

Last edited by V; 04-22-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
Stevoone

I would tend to doubt they would put retainers in the schematic. I took a look at a few other schematics and depending on what the circuit does seems to determine if it is a twisted pair or not. The wheel speed sensors have the same symbol and a few of the audio circuits have shielded twisted pairs to reduce electric noise or EMI. Also, I am not sure about the VSS wiring but on most of the wheel speed sensors they use low resistance wire. The core of the wire is very fine compared to the wire used in the rest of the car. Not sure if they use the same wire but its just something to look for.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Is this the same for all Series 2 cars?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah i had the same schematic, sorry. i think i have mitchell's on my work computer too. gotta check that out. they have sick diagrams.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #17
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
this guy is correct its an RF thing if no one else has said it did not read the entire post - ( residual extrapulated magnetizm ) < wow need help with the spelling hahahahahaa -- jz

u need to twist the wires together so they dont read off each other

Last edited by johnjzjz; 04-22-2008 at 05:28 PM.
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring