Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
zraffz

1969 Camaro (Restoration)

Newer floor pans, quarters, fiberglass fenders/front end/hood. The car has a fuel cell, interior is gutted, manual steering, no luxury (speakers/radio/etc). He had a 700R4 built for it with a 1,800 stall converter. It's a 350 bored .030", .525"/.525" think I read 288 duration, dart heads, god knows why he has a victor jr on it (guess I'll have to see where it stops pulling since he kept all his documentation for his sake although the tach indicates it should only be turning 6 grand), gear driven timing assembly, 1.6 roller rockers and a holley 750. He ran a best of 12.8 @ 108 with a 1.9 60'. I think the car has an easy 12.5 or better with stickier tires and the right manifold. Probably going to spray it as my motor finishes completion.

Panels on passenger side need some aligning, something is tweaked in the door hinge area. Right after he re-skinned the quarter panels his .38 went off and shot a hole in the passenger side
Interior is ratty. No headliner, carpet, console... pretty much a dash and two racing seats. It does have slapper bars and weld in sub frame connectors though.

This is my ultimate dream car. I never would mention a 1969 Camaro when the conversation would come up because I figured I'd never afford one. Dumb enough luck I punched in 1969 Camaro on craigslist (might do it once every 6 months) and this came up as just posted. Immediately called and said I wanted to see it. Next day (yesterday), I put a deposit and came back with a trailer. Turns out he was in a tight spot and had to let it go after reviving it from a field 15 years ago... paid $6,200. Thank god I was the first one to get to look at it.

Special thanks to NJBadSS for lending me his trailer. Car is going to my Uncle's garage. I will be working on it there.

Last edited by zraffz; 09-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
zraffz

Starting out fixing control arm (suspension on passenger side is currently a block of wood; all parts are in the trunk); he was in the middle of changing bushings when he lost his storage and had to move it in a hurry.
Afterwards I'm doing new weather stripping all around, wire wheeling the underside and floor. Anybody have a good suggestion on what to seal it with? Seen hit or miss results with POR15.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

So much slow race car, hillbilly deluxe going on with that car, so awesome. Good luck with it!

Pics of the .38 hole would be cool as well.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
maroman88
12 Second Club

Nice!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
So much slow race car, hillbilly deluxe going on with that car, so awesome. Good luck with it!

Pics of the .38 hole would be cool as well.
lmao thanks. It's kinda funny, I like the direction it was going. Conveniently I want a street/strip car but I'd feel guilty ruining a car with a nice interior... now I won't feel bad caging it. I don't have much plans besides carpet, headliner, door/sail panels, and a god damn radio... and nicer seats. Also saves me money not buying SFCs and slapper bars.
Once I straiten out the body it's getting painted gloss black, new window/door trim and badges. As long as it looks good from the outside I'd be very happy.

Got a TH350, 2,500 B&M converter, and a Trick Flow 23* 195cc 383 (still being built although I have all the expensive stuff). I'd be happy with an 11 second NA pump fuel motor since I won't spend much time driving it anyway
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
1320B4U

Lucky man you are. Would love a '69 myself..the pinnacle of any camaro. Awesome score! I checked one out about 8 years ago...250/6 in vernon...marina blue w/black stripes for 6k (body need work though..obv)...ran great but didn't move for a number of years..just too much of a project for me at that time but the wheels did turn in my head.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
L695speed

Sweet score there. Hope to see it around sooner rather than later. So whats left, only a second gen and you have the complete collection? The 5th gen isn't continuous so it doesn't count.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
So whats left, only a second gen and you have the complete collection? The 5th gen isn't continuous so it doesn't count.
haha well I only own a 1st and 4th but my brother has a 3rd. Trying to sell my 4th now cause I won't be able to finish that but their is still another 4th at my house

Absolutely zero interest in owning a 2nd gen... I'll leave that one up to my brother to obtain
Also no interest in a 5th. It ain't even a f-body.

Should see the car come spring. I might throw it on the road this year but I seriously doubt it. I'd rather just get to everything that needs my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320B4U View Post
Lucky man you are. Would love a '69 myself..the pinnacle of any camaro. Awesome score! I checked one out about 8 years ago...250/6 in vernon...marina blue w/black stripes for 6k (body need work though..obv)...ran great but didn't move for a number of years..just too much of a project for me at that time but the wheels did turn in my head.
I called him and I explained how badly I've always wanted one and I begged this guy not to let anybody else come see it til I saw it. I told him if it was anything like it was in the pictures I wouldn't ask any questions and wouldn't try to beat him down on the price (he wanted $6,500). He actually had a line of people to see if and his phone was going nuts when I went to look at it. Cool dude, I couldn't make it down that night and took off work and only got down there around noon.

Last edited by zraffz; 09-25-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
L695speed

Ah ok I see now. Still though it would be neat to have one of each gen. Good luck on selling the LT1 car. If you intend to keep the 69 and would care to spend some decent coin perhaps a Schwartz Chassis? Drop the body on, drivetrain of choice and then go out and out corner a vette.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
Ah ok I see now. Still though it would be neat to have one of each gen. Good luck on selling the LT1 car. If you intend to keep the 69 and would care to spend some decent coin perhaps a Schwartz Chassis? Drop the body on, drivetrain of choice and then go out and out corner a vette.
I suspect the OP does not have $30,000+ to drop on a car. lol

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Cool man, good luck with it.

I've got some leftover '69 parts floating around, dunno if you'd need anything. Front wheel wells, bumpers, some misc interior stuff.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
B4C

The grill and headlights are very 1980's
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
The grill and headlights are very 1980's
and the wheels

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I suspect the OP does not have $30,000+ to drop on a car. lol
lol absolutely not but if i did I'd be on the phone with nelson racing inquiring about their 1,400 horse twin turbo ls7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Cool man, good luck with it.

I've got some leftover '69 parts floating around, dunno if you'd need anything. Front wheel wells, bumpers, some misc interior stuff.
What condition are the bumpers in? I hate how my front one is gray and the back is a rusty/pitted chrome. On the other hand I found a set for $150 new from some company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
and the wheels
haha the wheels are terrible. Don't rub it in! However that isn't a big priority as of now. And that grill is growing on me. I guess it depends what I end up building (classic or retro rod). I think gloss black, lowered a hair with 17/18" wheels and a chevy logo on the grill is the only way to make it look half way descent. Thinking I want to keep a classic look though and therefor I'll need a grill.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraffz View Post
lol absolutely not but if i did I'd be on the phone with nelson racing inquiring about their 1,400 horse twin turbo ls7

What condition are the bumpers in? I hate how my front one is gray and the back is a rusty/pitted chrome. On the other hand I found a set for $150 new from some company.

haha the wheels are terrible. Don't rub it in! However that isn't a big priority as of now. And that grill is growing on me. I guess it depends what I end up building (classic or retro rod). I think gloss black, lowered a hair with 17/18" wheels and a chevy logo on the grill is the only way to make it look half way descent. Thinking I want to keep a classic look though and therefor I'll need a grill.
I do not believe they are dented at all but they would need to be rechromed or polished. Regardless of if you buy mine or not, be aware that repro bumpers are NOTORIOUS for being of poor quality/thin gauge/cheap chrome.

If you are serious I'll haul them out tonight.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
zraffz

I'll get back to you. I want to see if someone painted over my front or not. I am pretty sure I can save my rear bumper and make it look good.

Edit:
and thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by zraffz; 09-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
L695speed

LOL that is true....but I know you can get a bare chassis and do as you wish for less than 10 grand. However a full true rolling chassis with brakes and all, assuming you got the highest cost options and had it assembled.... it would be around 34 grand. But thats with a 9,000 dollar IRS suspension, 8,000 dollar brakes, etc. Can easily be had and built for less presuming you are up for the work. Just putting that out there for fun.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

What's with the baby stall?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
What's with the baby stall?
No idea... I don't know much about the motor. Like I said, Victor Jr and 1,800 stall don't go hand in hand. Neither does setting the tach at 6,000 RPM shifts and Victor Jr.

My 383 is going to be a small stall too. No plans of making this thing a pain to drive. Don't need a lot of power in a gutted car with a fiberglass front end.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Converter technology has come so far from back in the day. I dded a tight 3600 converter no problem. Now I drive a looser 4k stall and it still is fine driving any day I want rain or shine.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
zraffz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Converter technology has come so far from back in the day. I dded a tight 3600 converter no problem. Now I drive a looser 4k stall and it still is fine driving any day I want rain or shine.
I'll keep it in mind. Not to late to have my trick flows ported and I didn't buy a cam yet.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
zraffz

car sat for two months, finally started working on it.
Got parts starting to come in. (th400, trans brake, grille, suspension parts/lowering springs).

Floors ground, first coat of POR15 applied. Interior torn apart. Picked up weld pro stars with nitto nt555r drag radials.

Front is getting lowered 2":
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
zraffz

Car was lowered 2" with new shocks and front control arm bushings, bought air shocks for the rear and pinion shims to adjust the slapper bars.
Front half of the frame was ground down and painted. Floors have been POR15'd from the top so far, getting ready to patch a few small holes and apply another coat.

Since I was on a bender to remove the things I didn't like (replaced wheels with Weld Pro Stars), I got myself a new grille:

Been kicking around the idea in my head of converting to a TPI harness and running an HSR or Mini Ram.

Last edited by zraffz; 12-19-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
zraffz

Getting ready to convert to fuel injection (accel pro ram manifold & rails with a custom sheet metal elbow and 58mm TPIS throttle body).

And a TC78 turbo for that extra ooomf.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

You are loco maaan

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects