Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 03-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
biggsj84

Unhappy SES LIGHT !!!

SES light came on late saturday night while takin a little trip up to Freehold. I took the car in today and mechanic told me the code was

p1870 - Transmission component slipping

does anyone know what part of the car this could mean or what needs to be done to fix it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/829238/1
biggsj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
97transam
12 Second Club

Check this out:

http://www.my3cents.com/companyRevie...id=70&subcat=8
97transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
slugger27nj

This happened to my 2000 Blazer and caused it to fail inspection. It's a very common problem with these transmissions. I had the Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve Kit installed for about $400 (w/ labor) and it fixed the problem and passed inspection. This 'usually' fixes the problem 9 times out of 10. Do your research before you have it checked out so you know what you're talking about. I had one place want to sell me a $3000 transmission (I paid just over that for the truck), and another want to do a total rebuild. Then I went to the 3rd place and told them right off the bat what I wanted. They agreed with me and even asked how I knew about it. This truck has 140,000+ miles on it, and I certainly didn't want to spend that much $$$. Check out the thread below. It's really long, but has tons of info on it.

http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/li...Lemon/160.html

Also, do a Google search for P1870 and you'll get tons of stuff on it because it's so common.

www.njboxerrescue.com
www.fassasfriendsboxerrescue.com
www.awarenessday.org
slugger27nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
slugger27nj

I should've mentioned that there's a post on that thread almost all the way down by "wholesale_transmission" that reads:

"This is a VERY common problem with the GM 4l60-E transmission. This is 9 times out 10 a VALVE BODY PROBLEM not a transmission problem. You need to pull the TCC regulator valve from the valve body & install a sonnax TCC regulator valve kit. DO NOT LET SOMEONE SELL YOU A TRANSMISSION UNTIL THIS UPDATE IS DONE FIRST!!!!!! This will more than likely take care of your problem. Also the reaso you get a hard 1-2 shift is when the P1870 code sets the computer commands max line pressure. I have had a transmission shop for over 20 years & have only seen maybe 1 or 2 times the valve body update not take care of this problem.
Hope this helps you all out."

The above quote is what got me really thinking about it....I was determined not to get hosed...especially after I got the 1st two quotes. I am by no means a transmission expert, but hopefully this can help you out a little. Good luck with everything, and I hope it's nothing more serious.

www.njboxerrescue.com
www.fassasfriendsboxerrescue.com
www.awarenessday.org
slugger27nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
JohnG

another thing worth mentioning is that when the tranny shop fails to convince you to buy a whole new trans, they probably will then try to sell you a "service replacement" valve body -- this is indeed the GM fix for the problem, but it'll run $600 - $700 for the swap. If you mention the Sonnax kit, then they will say the labor needed to machine your VB will amount to the same cost, which isn't true.

I went to AllStar Trans. in Haledon, they did the kit & serviced the trans for $390...
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline