Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
bobb1589

What is a Quad Driver

I scanned my car the other day and had 2 error codes and i also viewed runtime data on the car. The scanner said that Quad driver Banks 1,2 and 4 are bad. Does anyone know what the quad drivers do?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong:

IIRC, a quad driver acts like a circuit breaker in the PCM. If you have other codes they may be what is causing the quad driver ones.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Where did you get the info from? The quad drive is a OBDI code common on the 93's/94's. For a 95 you should be able to pull the code for the exact curcuit that's falling.The Quad drive curciut is emmisions related and is an electrical curcuit test, or maybe you have the wrong reference chart?

I would reset the ECM and retest, and possible verify you have the write refernce chart, 93,94 and 95+ do have some differences.

But I'd guess you're probably looking as one of the following; Charcole canister, Airpump, vent purge and I think EGR. The ECM is looking for a signal and one of the relays is not getting the proper voltage, sometmes it can throw a code it the EGR valve is stuck or vacuum line is off/leaking and the relay/sensor is stuck in an open/closed state giving the ECM the wrong reading.

The most common reason for the Quad drive failue is a faulty air pump or blown fuse. Start the car and make sure you hear the pump running. There is a valve for the charcoal canister up above the fuel tank. it's a Pain the butt to get to, but it's very rare for it to fail.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
bobb1589

But 3 of the 4 banks are bad... how do i know about the problems that each bank has?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Go through all your fuses. I had a Quad Driver code on my old 93 Indy Pace Car and it turned out to be a fuse had blown for the AIR pump. Turned out the AIR check valve went bad, let warm exhaust air back into the AIR lines creating condensation in the winter. That ran down into the pump and eventually filled it with water. That froze solid and the electric pump motor couldn't turn and tripped the fuse. So look at all your fuses to start with and if you find one blown and you replace it and it goes again, then you have an issue with that related component.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
bobb1589

well... its not throwing any codes... other than a OBD1 Code 36 - 24x Signal Circuit Error - faulty circuit error from coil packs to module... i just went into the vehicle live data while it was running and it said the quad bank 1,2 and 4 were bad... not throwing any codes for the quad banks jsut stating that the ones mentioned above are bad. not sure if there is a difference between throwing a code for the quad bank or the live data saying it is "bad"
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

24 - VSS circuit

36 - OptiSpark high resolution signal faulty.

OK, did some checking around. Those with the quad drive errors means you're most likely having some type of electrical gremlin.

Check all the wires to the ignition module and make sure the ground wire is good and all the bolts are tight. Couple people had this problem and it turned out to be the ignition switch or ignition module. I would look at those before replacing the ECM or Opti.

One way to do a simple test if the VSS is bad, if your speed-o or cruise control doesn't work the VSS is bad. if both works you're getting a faulty code caused by something else.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I think there is also an issue with the coil and ignition control module(ICM) being mounted to the front of the driver's side head that can cause a grounding issue and an overheating issue. I would try pulling the ground wires to that and make sure they're good and clean. It could be the ICM going bad or the opti. The ICM is easier to deal with.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
bobb1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
24 - VSS circuit

36 - OptiSpark high resolution signal faulty.

OK, did some checking around. Those with the quad drive errors means you're most likely having some type of electrical gremlin.

Check all the wires to the ignition module and make sure the ground wire is good and all the bolts are tight. Couple people had this problem and it turned out to be the ignition switch or ignition module. I would look at those before replacing the ECM or Opti.

One way to do a simple test if the VSS is bad, if your speed-o or cruise control doesn't work the VSS is bad. if both works you're getting a faulty code caused by something else.
No, it is a 1995 v6 camaro. It is a manual so there is no cruise control and my speedo does work. I think you guys keep thinking i have a Z?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 red slp View Post
No, it is a 1995 v6 camaro. It is a manual so there is no cruise control and my speedo does work. I think you guys keep thinking i have a Z?
why would they think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Dang, that's different! Yah I was thinking a 95 SS based on your SN.

Let me dig around some more.

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #12
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Dang, that's different! Yah I was thinking a 95 SS based on your SN.

Let me dig around some more.
SS's started in 1996.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
bobb1589

so my egr was bad... i am going home from college for the weekend so i will scan it with my scanner and see what comes up... (i replaced the egr)
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #14
TBART1970

Quad driver means 4 circuits, find what each bad driver runs and test each component. If it is a hard code then there is a problem.
TBART1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning