Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
benblitz

Heidts subframe

Anybody in NJFBOA land try out those new Heidts subframes for 1st and 2nd GEN Camaro's. I was going to modify an stock subframe for my 79 Z28 but their getting hard to find. Does anybody think their worth the 3500 bucks?
benblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
CHRIS67

I was looking into a front clip and a 4 link, but making it more for the street than the track. What is your goal?

Praise the Lowered

67' Camaro - Worked 327, Hotchkis TVS suspension, 4 wheel cross drilled discs, AM radio FTL
05' Silverado - Stock, stock, and stock.
CHRIS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

What are you trying to accomplish? 2nd gen subframes are better than 1st gen frames in regards to geometry and such.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? 2nd gen subframes are better than 1st gen frames in regards to geometry and such.
X2. They aren't THAT hard to find. I knew a couple guys who couldn't give them away. If you clean up the factory welds and run some beads in the critical areas then you are good.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Yes. There are 2 reasons to buy aftermarket 2nd gen frame, IMHO. 1) bling. I appreciate that, as fine a reason as there is, no knocks here. 2) racing. If the answer is 3) great street car, it's relatively easy to make a 2nd gen a great street car with a stock frame.

While I was at SEMA I talked to a lot of folks out there. Engineering types and drivers. These seem to be the favorites at this time.

http://artmorrison.com/camaro.php
Art Morrison uses vette parts, so replacement parts are out there. I've spoken with Matt at AME and would not hesitate to use their stuff.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp...rame2ndgen.htm
Considered by most to be the class of the lot. Mark Steilow uses their stuff for a reason. Mostly proprietary parts, but very well done by all accounts, and priced accordingly.

http://www.heidts.com/
By all accounts their latest stuff is very good. I spoke with Mary and Dave Pozzi at SEMA about heidt's car, which Mary raced at a suspension challenge super chevy magazine did. She thought the Heidts stuff performed very well. I dare say surprisingly well.

I can't think of any other 2nd gen SF I'd buy.

If stock frame is the eventual choice, perhaps call Keith http://www.customworksproducts.com/ or Mark at http://www.scandc.com/suspensions.htm

Hold a gun to my head today I'm going AME. I like OE parts a lot. All 3 options are better than my driving ability.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
CHRIS67

Another option is to go to an airbag setup.

http://www.ridetech.com/shop/index.p...tures_hash=V39

Killer ride, but not practical unless your going for competitive autocrosses.

Praise the Lowered

67' Camaro - Worked 327, Hotchkis TVS suspension, 4 wheel cross drilled discs, AM radio FTL
05' Silverado - Stock, stock, and stock.
CHRIS67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
benblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I want to set this car up for SCCA C-Prepared class. That class has some pretty serious cars in it. Full cage, highly modified suspension, and race slicks. I used to race at Middletown NY in the Street Stock Class and we used to use 2nd gen camaros all the time as race cars. You could find 2nd gen camaros everywhere for almost free (in the 90's). The subframes are great, weld up the seams, reposition the upper control arm mount, put weight jackers in it, and you were done. I tried looking for a subframe for a 2nd gen and I'm having some trouble locating one with the suspension. So I was wondering if I should just 'man up' and spend the money for one of these aftermarket subframes.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
benblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
X2. They aren't THAT hard to find. I knew a couple guys who couldn't give them away. If you clean up the factory welds and run some beads in the critical areas then you are good.
WildBillyT,
If you have some friends that need to get rid of 2nd gen subframes, send them my way please.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
WildBillyT

I will do so.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
198esp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benblitz View Post
I want to set this car up for SCCA C-Prepared class. That class has some pretty serious cars in it. Full cage, highly modified suspension, and race slicks. I used to race at Middletown NY in the Street Stock Class and we used to use 2nd gen camaros all the time as race cars. You could find 2nd gen camaros everywhere for almost free (in the 90's). The subframes are great, weld up the seams, reposition the upper control arm mount, put weight jackers in it, and you were done. I tried looking for a subframe for a 2nd gen and I'm having some trouble locating one with the suspension. So I was wondering if I should just 'man up' and spend the money for one of these aftermarket subframes.
the guy you want to talk to is turbotoddie over on frrax, his 2nd gen finished in second place in cp this year at the scca national championship with a stockish front clip. You dont want a aftermarket front sub-frame that gets you 10% weight penalty. I run c-prepared locally if you have a questions. ps look at the rules on line
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Mary Pozzi is an scca champ in her 72 with stock front frame as well.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
benblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198esp1 View Post
the guy you want to talk to is turbotoddie over on frrax, his 2nd gen finished in second place in cp this year at the scca national championship with a stockish front clip. You dont want a aftermarket front sub-frame that gets you 10% weight penalty. I run c-prepared locally if you have a questions. ps look at the rules on line
That's why I was asking around, I didn't know if these aftermarket subframes were going to be worth the 10% penalty. I think you guys talked me into modifying a stock subframe, I have used then before with success, so why mess with what's proven. This year I think I'm just going to go to some events and watch, this asphalt racing is new to me, I have only raced on dirt, I'm like a virgin again.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
198esp1

where are you located , there are events almost every weekend starting in march. The only 2nd gen i have seen is a guy in the philly region that races in esp. It will be great to have another cp car when you get it done.
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
benblitz

Quote:
where are you located , there are events almost every weekend starting in march. The only 2nd gen i have seen is a guy in the philly region that races in esp. It will be great to have another cp car when you get it done.
I live in Fair Lawn NJ
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
benblitz

Quote:
I heard that the CP class is getting thin in this area, and with that SCCA rule 4.9, I don't want to see the class closed around here. So that's why I'm going to modify/finish my Z28 to run in this class.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
WildBillyT

http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/1579742775.html

Maybe you can talk him down.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
benblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Thanks
Looking into it.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
WildBillyT

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180909

Buy the car for $300, keep the subframe and sell the rest.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
TBART1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by benblitz View Post
Anybody in NJFBOA land try out those new Heidts subframes for 1st and 2nd GEN Camaro's. I was going to modify an stock subframe for my 79 Z28 but their getting hard to find. Does anybody think their worth the 3500 bucks?
I have a custom Martz for sale.
Newfoundland NJ
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...market+chassis

Last edited by TBART1970; 03-26-2010 at 06:47 PM.
TBART1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #20
BonzoHansen
Admin.

He got one.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
TBART1970

I'm never going to sell this thing!
TBART1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
benblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBART1970 View Post
I'm never going to sell this thing!
I debated for a while about giving you a call about that subframe, but it's a little more then what I wanted. It is a nice piece though!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech