Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
BlackTopKing

Throttle Cable Vrs Speedo?

I had a great time this weekend went to a couple shows and got sun burnt like crazy! but still fun.

either way...Saturday i got into the car a bit and i felt the gas pedal get way loose-thought i broke something- so i checked it out sunday moring and there was a lot of play- so i tighted up the cable at the throttle-
Now i think its way too tight cause the car feels like a strong cruse control (i have no CC hooked up)
plus the speedo went crazy- bounced around untill i lifted the pedal (with foot)

so in short i intend to simply loosen the cable- i dont really want to put it in the same spot-since that had alot of play- but rather that then the speedo be bouncing around.

I also noticed when i did this that WOT is about 3/4 open-

so what am i doing wrong?
i looked at a couple threads to adjust - but i dont see were it is changing the speedo- would this sujest that is Eletric and non-cable....

(no i dont know which is on my car...never looked)

Last edited by BlackTopKing; 06-28-2010 at 12:14 AM.
BlackTopKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
V
Stalker

throttle cable is unrelated to the speedo cable

86-92 trans ams and firebirds have an electric vehicle speed sensor, (90-92) camaros have vss) so therefore no speedo cable. signal goes to ecm, then to gauge.

check the mounting point of the gas pedal to make sure nothing broke or shifted, since it is just plastic.

also check the spring on the throttle body to make sure its fully intact and not damaged, after all that, id suggest swapping out the throttle cable and going from there.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
BlackTopKing

i think i goofed and messed with the TV Cable...7am is not a good time for my thinking
Old 06-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
BlackTopKing

Ok So I am not An Idoit...well not the other day at least... i went to the car today and first thing was first

Cable! Right...well why is mine oposite ? i dont know, but the bottom cable is not my TV cable!

It is the cable to the predal as i thought, so I loosened it a bit and tryed to get a medium so that the pedal was nice and tight yet car was behaving as before.

So I played with it a bit and it seemed fine! only it seemed as if the speedo climed alot faster then it should....kind of like " wait my car aint this fast"???

so I took the above advise with the TV Cable and....what ratching back???

mine didnt ratch anything...not at first actually.

with the pedal to the floor- throttle is about 75% open- i turned the throttle for a 100% and it ratched to place- drove it and it seemed fine. shifted fine-were it should and speedo was correct...

yet....

as in the begining of this...throttle is not WOT!!! if i tighte the pedal cable to be WOT (actually about 95%) then the trans and speedo is crazy as discribed above....

so what im i missing?

just seems odd

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech