Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
WayFast84

well this sucks!

A little while ago I decided to give up on my search for a fourth gen. I was interested in two other cars that oddly aren't even close. I was interested in a 2012 Mustang gt, Base with 3.73's and Brembo brakes or a 2011 SUbaru WRX sedan( possibly an STI but the price is out of my budget) base with leather seats(the dealer said I could go aftermarket?)

ITS A DRAW! No car is better then the other!!

First I went to see the mustangs, These cars look amazing, a really bold look, paint was nice and the interior was better then what I was expecting from ford but still not all there. The car sounded amazing and air was really cold(duh!). I had to turn down a test drive because I knew I would want it more if I got to test drive it and couldn't test drive a WRX today.

Finally I found a Subaru dealership with a WRX and went to go see it. I walked in the show room and WOW! This car looks amazing!! SO sleek and bold, Paint is nice, wheels are nice, interior is so much nicer then the mustang and quality in general is a little nicer! I loved the seats but the WRX was a limited and priced at 30,000+ which is a combination of the Navigation, sunroof, trim and the fact that these cars are pretty rare and I could have to wait up to 6 months for an STI but a little less for the WRX. I could not test drive this car since it was in the showroom and was not expecting to buy this since it wasn't base.

Pro's of the mustang
Bold style
Bang for the buck
Power!
Better gas mileage
6 to 8 weeks for an order
Roomy driver side interior
6 speed

Cons
Decent interior
Everyone will have one
RWD
small back seat

Pro's of the WRX
4 door
functional back seats
AWD
Price
Interior is amazing
Quality is above average( my friends STI is in BMW territory
Bold and sleek design
Superior handling(from what I read)

Cons of the wrx
Lack of power(stage 2 needed!)
5 speed
Terrible gas mileage(19/25)
wait for ordering one.
Every ricer is going to throw rev's at me

Just thought I would write this up and share with you guys. I know some of us are actual car enthusiasts instead of fbody fan boys!

Last edited by WayFast84; 07-01-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
chrisfrom nj

get a new camaro SS
Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Are you looking at the car to be your daily driver? If so, there's not much comparison between AWD and RWD regardless of the manufacturer. The Mustangs will probably start showing up all over the place and be a dime a dozen within a year so it most likely won't hold value like the Subaru will. A 2 door vs a 4 door is also an apples to oranges comparison so it's really tough to weigh the cars. It really depends on your needs and what you're willing to sacrifice. If we continue to have significant snow storms in the upcoming winters, you'll regret the rwd. The downside to the awd is the lousy gas mileage every single day when you might only need the awd a couple of times a year. Do you ski, snowboard, do other winter sports that the awd will be able to get you there where the rwd won't? Will you ever need to tow anything like a pwc, boat, bike, landscape trailer? How many miles will you put on it in a year? I really think the Subaru will probably be the better vehicle for most people and if it holds value better, then that's a bonus.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Break rockersssssssss
Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
BigRocsFirebird

i'd say a 2012 5.0 6spd but that's just me lol

1988 Mustang - supercharged, heads/cam etc...

2012 Mustang - 5.0 6spd / 437rwhp 420trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Verts are gay and stalkers ride in them.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Blacdout96

I agree with jeff, if you want a Mustang wait a couple years and pick one up at an auto lenders or something. The subaru will be harder to find, and you got to remember they arent the easiest thing to work on and neither is their price for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 07-02-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
I agree with jeff, if you want a Mustang wait a couple years and pick one up at an auto lenders or something. The subaru will be harder to find, and you got to remember they arent the easiest thing to work on and neither is their price for parts.
That's the beauty of a new car, warranty!!
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Blacdout96

Till he decides to step up from breaking ARP Rocker arm studs to Breaking tranny's by doing a couple of these. Usually shops frown upon that, dunno why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHKJJi3ukgw&feature=fvsr

Quote:

Last edited by Blacdout96; 07-02-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Frosty

Then that's his fault/problem
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

I think you need to drive both and then decide. Subaru frowns heavily upon stage upgrades for obvious reasons. You may get away with drivetrain warranty work with very minor bolt ons with either car.

Best to compare both with a test drive over just looking at the facts.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 07-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
WayFast84

I actually want to test drive an older Subaru and see how the quality is after a few thousand miles. The Subaru's interior is amazing but that doesn't help if I hear clunks and rattles like the cobalt. The thing about the Subaru is the power. I hear you need the cobb tuner to make the car feel like it should have from the factory, Then an exhaust, cai and some other bolt on's and your pushing the factory motor..

The mustang is a serious car and comes at an even better price. I would be happy stock or with a cai and that's it.

There is no way I would be purchasing a new Camaro. After driving the Cobalt for 2 years, and riding in/driving the Malibu I do not want another GM car until they truly make an amazing car(which the Camaro isn't).

I have connections at a ford dealership, but the Subaru dealer said I only have to put down $500 and will have MONTHS to sack away money and have a really small monthly payment.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

A man of your means should buy both. Use the AWD in rain & snow and the RWD one on nice days. Problem solved. Mod the **** out of them too. Because that is a great idea as well as warranties are for pussies and poor people.

Normally I'd offer the usual advice based on actual experience: buy a used car, save your money for a house down the road so you don't have to mooch off the parents into your 30s, so you aren't stuck with loan high payments if job thing craps out, etc., total equity loss, la la la, but no one ever listens so I'm going all reverse psychology now and encourage stupid behavior. lol

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Blacdout96

^^^ Epic correct answer is epic.

Very true Bonzo, there are tons of used cars out there that'll get you to point A to point B all the same.

Quote:
Old 07-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
Mike
BadMod

Thread title is Funny. It really must suck to have to decide which brand new car you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
Thread title is Funny. It really must suck to have to decide which brand new car you want.
seems like we just went thru this with another kid lol
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
79T/A

Is this the same guy whose mother wouldn't let him have his third gen a few years ago? Someone must've gotten one hell of a job and moved out!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #17
jam01

my new camaro ss rs is amazing, no problems as of yet. my 02 is still on its original exhaust,and while it may need some little thing now it has been a quality car. yes it has plastic pieces here and there, but in all i like it. like mentioned before parts for said wrx will be expensive when they are needed, and all cars eventually need parts. unless you trade them in every 3-4 years, and i know people who do this. test drive any car before you buy it, and if a salesman or dealer wont let you walk away.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #18
band77one
15 Second Club

id go subaru. the mustang looks like ****. it does NOT look tough or mean or menacing in anyway. the wrx's are great cars. and so are the camaros.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #19
BigAls87Z28

Stick with the Cobalt.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #20
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
A man of your means should buy both. Use the AWD in rain & snow and the RWD one on nice days. Problem solved. Mod the **** out of them too. Because that is a great idea as well as warranties are for pussies and poor people.

Normally I'd offer the usual advice based on actual experience: buy a used car, save your money for a house down the road so you don't have to mooch off the parents into your 30s, so you aren't stuck with loan high payments if job thing craps out, etc., total equity loss, la la la, but no one ever listens so I'm going all reverse psychology now and encourage stupid behavior. lol
I get it! Do the opposite of what you think is right!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #21
BigRocsFirebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
seems like we just went thru this with another kid lol
yup that's me lol so i say go for the mustang like i didddddddd

1988 Mustang - supercharged, heads/cam etc...

2012 Mustang - 5.0 6spd / 437rwhp 420trq

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Verts are gay and stalkers ride in them.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
BullittSVT

Aren't the new 6 speed manuals junk? They are faulty or something.. all around the Mustang forums.

RWD isn't a con :P

I like the new Mustang though, but you should wait and see if my above statement is still an issue with the car, it'll pop out of gears, not shift.. grind.. just in general a pain in the ass. Chinese built getrags :P

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

1998 Camaro, 3.8L M5 Stock - SOLD
2001 Camaro Z28 M6 SLP LM1, Lid
- FOR SALE

Old 07-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #23
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Buy a boat
Acquire squids
Old 07-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #24
WayFast84

Everyone saying I should save for a house and move out. I get it. I really do but right now I have a 4 bedroom house all to my self(when I am home). I work night's(full time) and go to school full time. While I am in school for the next 3-4 years getting my bachelors and masters it's pretty dumb for me to move out on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullittSVT View Post
Aren't the new 6 speed manuals junk? They are faulty or something.. all around the Mustang forums.

RWD isn't a con :P

I like the new Mustang though, but you should wait and see if my above statement is still an issue with the car, it'll pop out of gears, not shift.. grind.. just in general a pain in the ass. Chinese built getrags :P

the 2011 6 speed has some problems. Most cars are fine and only some have problems... it's fixed for the 2012's...

pending test drives/financing I should be ordering a mustang in the next month..
Old 07-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #25
Blacdout96

Is school paid for, or did you get a full ride? if not, wait till you get out and you see those bills for the school. Most people I know that got out of school and got a new car said they wish they would of used that money to pay off the loans.

And yes the Tranny's are crapping out. They are blaming the manufacturing....in China....... :cough:shouldofbeenmadeinTaiwan:cough:

Quote:

Last edited by Blacdout96; 07-03-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge