Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 07-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Reconditioned Bumpers

Does anyone have experience using a Reconditioned OEM bumper on their F-Body? Lots of talk on several forums, with mixed reviews. Just wondering if anyone has used one recently and how was it long term?

I'm looking to completely replace my front bumper on my 95 T/A which has fallen victim to typical GM body work failures, cracked bumper, cracked turn signal housing, dents, etc...

Old 07-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

What are you doing with the car? I spent ~$600 on a new one from a GM dealership, but that's because I was slapping a costly paint job onto it. I don't know what a reconditioned bumper cover sells for nowadays, but if you're going all #RACECAR on this one, then it may be worth it to consider the re-conditioned bumper at a particular price point. Now, if they're not very far apart cost-wise, then always opt for the new.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 07-18-2016 at 03:07 PM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I don't think new is available anymore? A used bumper in good condition is the best find. Spider webbing can be removed, you need to sand it out. Aftermarkets are pretty crappy but we used one on Matt's car and it came out pretty good. A bit more time on it could make it perfect but he wanted his car back and was ok with the condition. Can you post a few pics of yours? If its complete without any big cracks or holes, I would consider fixing it pending quotes.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I don't think new is available anymore? A used bumper in good condition is the best find. Spider webbing can be removed, you need to sand it out. Aftermarkets are pretty crappy but we used one on Matt's car and it came out pretty good. A bit more time on it could make it perfect but he wanted his car back and was ok with the condition. Can you post a few pics of yours? If its complete without any big cracks or holes, I would consider fixing it pending quotes.
Adam, hopefully that's not true.
About a year ago, Open Road Cadillac in Florham Park, NJ got me a WS6 Bumper for $564 after tax. I was under the impression it was new...

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Adam, hopefully that's not true.
About a year ago, Open Road Cadillac in Florham Park, NJ got me a WS6 Bumper for $564 after tax. I was under the impression it was new...
Brandon said he struggled getting his 97 formula bumper like 5 years ago. Depleting stock on a car that hasn't been built in almost 20 years, chances are slim on finding NOS.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
V
Stalker

Mike, alexs car is a 1995 so older style 4th gen TA bumper. You have the ls1 style. Im sure you can get 98+ parts still here and there, but 93-97, not so easy.

Last edited by V; 07-19-2016 at 10:42 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

The one company that keeps coming up in Forum searches is "Keystone", I haven't looked at their website yet, but just a quick google search shows bumpers from all over the place. Some prices as low as $200 for a reconditioned versus say $500+ for a NOS(possible aftermarket)on Craigslist.

There doesn't seem to be an in-between, and while I am all for the "racecar" look, my current bumper does have the typical spider cracks all over the front bumper, cracked turn signal housing, and a few warped bumps from who knows what, and the typical sagging. Its seen better days, it probably could be repaired, but I have a feeling would come out to the same cost as a new one.

Just trying to crunch numbers and get an idea of what I should be looking for or avoiding.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

I know it's crazy time intensive, but have you already tried hunting down a good used one off of a parts car?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Featherburner

GM parts direct has both 93-97 Formula and Trans Am bumper covers on their site ready to be added to your cart.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

If you go keystone, make sure its http://www.capacertified.org/ and even then, they can fit pretty poor. I believe matt's was and that thing needed and still needs work. It all comes down to budget like you said. If you and a friend are doing the body work, it could be cost effective doing the labor to make it right. If you are shelling cash out, you should consider NOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
GM parts direct has both 93-97 Formula and Trans Am bumper covers on their site ready to be added to your cart.
That would be cool but I wonder if its actually available. The description leaves it kinda open ended on special stock.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #11
V
Stalker

The GM parts websites always show stuff available, and then they cancel the order after you place it or won't let you check out.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Believe it or not, I got my replacement OEM bumper from Amazon. I paid $389.74 shipped, and used some Amazon credit to boot.

This was back in 2013, though.

FYI -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VIKCTK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by qwikz28; 07-20-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Linky
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:47 AM   #13
maroman88
12 Second Club

im in the same boat... i rolled under a pickups hitch a few years ago and took a square out of the bumper into the hood. i attempted to repair the bumper but i suck and jsut dipped it along with the hood.
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #14
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

The one I have on my car since Adam keeps referencing it, was on first impression very flimsy compared to stocker. I was worried since I have a MWC bumper support versus stock of wavyness at speed.

But, after attempts to fix the OEM spider cracks, it was the much easier option. For me, it looks fantastic, but a real body shop will of course list off the discrepancies.

I will now take this time to whore out some BLS handywork.

If you can pick up the slight comings, feel free to share. Off hand, the tabs were the bumper cover fits in fenders needed some major surgery which a good friend was able to fix so that the lines would be flush. The corners are a lil wacky but without seeing em up close its impossible to tell. And its moot for you as a TA owner.

For me, it was a good choice
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

It looks great, I love the cut out grill opening on it. We actually managed to sand the spider cracks out of Brian's front bumper but his were minor compared to your bumper. You also had a light front end accident so between the couple cracks and grid impact, aftermarket was the best choice.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

: drool:

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA

Last edited by Blackbirdws6; 07-22-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech