Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Mensaf

Bolt-On Power Pack

It'd be a lot easier if someone just sold an entire kit. So I'm saving up at this point so I can put on every imaginable bolt on, but I'm not sure if some of the pieces exist. This is what I have jotted down so far, with some of the stuff on order for my 3rd gen:

Ram-Air intake (since I've got the hood)
SLP Runners
Throttle body spacer
52mm Throttle Body
...and an aftermarket plenum, but I've yet been able to find if they exist.

I already have headers and an exhaust, and I don't want to put on the rest of this stuff until I get all of them, so it feels like a different car. It's a 305 motor, so the reason I picked all these parts is because I'd be able to easily swap them over to a 350 when I'd eventually get around to doing that swap. The only other thing I'd do is probably a tune afterwards to get that extra hp/tq in, and possibly a cam right before that (depends on how my summer job goes).

So, any suggestions or recommendations on different parts? Anyone know someone that makes a plenum for these things?
Mensaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Throttle body spacers are for TBI and not TPI.

No need to run a bigger throttle body either, hell, I am still running the stocker on my LT1.

The SLP runners are ok, but i thiink their price outweighs their function. Trya nd find a used set for cheap.

Wait for BBK to release their aftermarket plenum.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Frosty

Tim, I think they do make a TPI spacer, another useless bolt on.

Mensaf, just throwing bolt on parts together isn't going to make you any faster. You don't need a bigger TB unless you're making some power(heads/cam).

I would suggest sitting down and figuring out your goals. Maybe talk to an actual shop and come up with a combo that works. Throwing $$ and parts at a car usually ends in frustration.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
deadtrend1

oh do the free and cheap stuff first if its not done already.
  • Throttle body coolant bypass
  • Advance timing
  • Remove equipment (weight and asthetic purposes)
  • Porting Intake, Plenum and Runners
  • Gasket matching everything
  • Weight reduction (rear seat delete, etc)
And if you have the equipment, you could also add:
  • PROM tuning
  • Boxed rear LCAs
  • STB and "Wonder Bar" installation
  • SFCs
  • Synthetic lubricants
  • Relocate IAT
  • 180º thermostat;
  • Adjustable FPR

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
Old 03-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Frosty

[arrogant A-hole] Or you could be a LS1 and be done with it! [/arrogant A-hole]

j/k

Definitely do the cheap/free stuff first like Tim said.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Mensaf

They have a throttle body spacer for the TPI setup. Does it really not work? Helped us down low in the import world, especially after some headwork and a cold air intake. The cam might be part of the 305 package, but it definitely will be part of the 350 (well, 383), along with a few other things once I get my research done (qq: Vortec heads from the truck, still good for tpi?)
I'm new to domestics, so I appreciate all the input I'm receiving guys. I made this post so I wouldn't be pissed off once I dropped a good $900 in parts and got nothing

And yea, SLP runners, I got a used seat for $140. I'm sorry, but $350 seems a tad bit overpriced. Why are they so expensive?

I also know that TPI was designed for the 305 in mind, not the 350, so injectors would have to fall into the mix with the swap. I'll be looking for an old Vette 5spd as well (not a fan of 6 gears) since I'm pretty sure the 700R4 would last 2 or 3 runs at most.

Last edited by Mensaf; 03-23-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Moved it to the tech area. Cam/heads will be the key with a 305. But don't expect a 305 cam to work well with a 350 or 383 so do some good research. Your best bet might be to bolt on the runners and headers and enjoy that little bit of extra power until your 383 is ready. Your best bang for the buck will be the headers, since you have the runners they will help a little, but also look at a good distributor/coil for more energy. I've used the Hypertech coil on several vehicles with good results.

TPI was designed for both 305 and 350. If you go with the 383 you might want to consider the Holley Stealth Ram intake which is very similar to the LT1 intake.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
deadtrend1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
They have a throttle body spacer for the TPI setup. Does it really not work? Helped us down low in the import world, especially after some headwork and a cold air intake. The cam might be part of the 305 package, but it definitely will be part of the 350 (well, 383), along with a few other things once I get my research done (qq: Vortec heads from the truck, still good for tpi?)
Wouldn't waste my time with a TB spacer.

Vortec heads are decent, but you need to get a completely different TPI intake to fit onto the heads. They are available, not hard to find, but just one more thing to buy.

Quote:
And yea, SLP runners, I got a used seat for $140. I'm sorry, but $350 seems a tad bit overpriced. Why are they so expensive?
Cause everything with SLP's name on it is overpriced.

Quote:
I also know that TPI was designed for the 305 in mind, not the 350, so injectors would have to fall into the mix with the swap. I'll be looking for an old Vette 5spd as well (not a fan of 6 gears) since I'm pretty sure the 700R4 would last 2 or 3 runs at most.
I don't know what you mean by that statement of TPI being for 350's over 305's. The 700R4 isn't that bad of a trans. Also, its stronger then a 5 speed.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Fast92RS
Power Member

throttle body spacer = waste of money.

Port matching and slp runners or similar would be the first thing I would do. The get a AFPR and throttle body coolant bypass.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Frosty

Quote:
Way off base there man. A well built 700 will last fine, don't bother with vette stuff, it's different.

You have realize something, the import world and domestic world is very different when it comes to mods. Smart move by asking questions though, that's how you learn

Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Mensaf

I hope a few other members are reading this now, because they're the ones that told me about all that, despite my thoughts on a few of them. I won't call them out though, I'll just bust balls when I see them.

This is great. Less money spending for me. I would do the lightweight reductions that I have on my other cars, but I've got t tops which is kind of pointless. After driving my friend's hardtop 5.7 tbi after driving this, I was shocked at how differently the two handled. I was thinking about trading this for a base model and going from there, but I don't have any time to go car shopping for a good month or so . Worst case scenario, I put all the stock parts back on I suppose.

I didn't know Holley made an intake for it like that. The only one I found was this:
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...OD&ProdID=1049
that someone pointed out to me in my welcome thread.

I was trying to trade/sell my current hood for a lighter stock hood (was looking for carbon, but apparently that's against 3rd gen religion. I'm guessing fiberglass=domestic CF?) The guy before me put it on for looks apparently. Not functional=stupid in my opinion, but that intake would've made it functional.

That's pretty much it. So I guess I'll be adding on:
SLP runners
Ram Air intake (Holley or other)
BBK Plenum (when they come out with it. Date?)
and the free mods.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf
I'll be looking for an old Vette 5spd as well (not a fan of 6 gears) since I'm pretty sure the 700R4 would last 2 or 3 runs at most.
um, im just curious...but... what vette do you think came with a 5 speed....?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #13
Frosty

You don't need an aftermarket plenum for a stock 305.

Port the stocker, port the base if you want, throw the runners on and call it a day.

Also, you don't need carbon fiber and crap like that, again domestic world is different than import world

Wait, what Fbody did you drive that handled better than yours?

Last edited by Frosty; 03-23-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
JL8Jeff

Yeah, t-tops and convertibles really hurt the rigidity of the car(no matter what make or body). I had a bunch of 1st gen convertible Camaros before I finally bought a hard top and it was a huge difference. My 96 SS hardtop also felt a lot better than my current 00 SS with t-tops. The only 5 speed that might be worth putting in behind a 383 would be the TKO. The stock GM 5 speeds won't last long behind a 383 with any amount of power.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
Mensaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

Also, you don't need carbon fiber and crap like that, again domestic world is different than import world

Wait, what Fbody did you drive that handled better than yours?
Psht, the Z06 is made of Carbon Fiber and Aluminum. Guess it ain't all that different

My friend's F-Body, a 3rd gen like mine, but base model (pwr windows tho) and 5.7 liter TBI. Suspension wasn't all that great, but it wasn't top heavy like this was. I've been auto-xing for a while now, and noticed the difference immediately. It was huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
Yeah, t-tops and convertibles really hurt the rigidity of the car(no matter what make or body). I had a bunch of 1st gen convertible Camaros before I finally bought a hard top and it was a huge difference. My 96 SS hardtop also felt a lot better than my current 00 SS with t-tops. The only 5 speed that might be worth putting in behind a 383 would be the TKO. The stock GM 5 speeds won't last long behind a 383 with any amount of power.
Even the Vette ones? And yea, I never really had anything more than a sunroof before, so differences in handling weren't that much, but between t tops and hard top...it's HUGE.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #16
V
Stalker

I'll say again.... VETTES NEVER HAD 5 SPEEDS
Old 03-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
Frosty

Quote:
My friend's F-Body, a 3rd gen like mine, but base model (pwr windows tho) and 5.7 liter TBI. Suspension wasn't all that great, but it wasn't top heavy like this was. I've been auto-xing for a while now, and noticed the difference immediately. It was huge
Unless he swapped it in no base model got a 5.7 TBI(no fbody got a 350 TBI motor) let alone a 5.7 in general. Also, unless he has suspension mods no base bird is out handling a WS6 car. I think you need to get some more info before you judge your car. He could be modded.

Also, you can't compare a 3rd gen to an exotic like a Z06. You don't need to go all nuts finding carbon fiber stuff...

Quote:
but between t tops and hard top...it's HUGE.
Nothing a set of subframe connectors can't fix

Last edited by Frosty; 03-23-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
Mensaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
I'll say again.... VETTES NEVER HAD 5 SPEEDS
Werd. Found out right after I posted that all 5 speeds were autos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Unless he swapped it in no base model got a 5.7 TBI(no fbody got a 350 TBI motor) let alone a 5.7 in general. Also, unless he has suspension mods no base bird is out handling a WS6 car. I think you need to get some more info before you judge your car. He could be modded.

Also, you can't compare a 3rd gen to an exotic like a Z06. You don't need to go all nuts finding carbon fiber stuff...
I'm not going nuts finding carbon fiber stuff, it's a regular thing to consider, even with newer f bodies.

The 350 TBI was swapped (and rebuilt, so it's technically a 355), and he doesn't have any sort of suspension mods, though his car does sit lower than mind. My suspension is pretty damn soft (feels like I'm driving a speedboat on the highway if you know what I mean) though. Me and him are going to do our subframe connectors together once the weather gets nice outside. We were looking at suspension options as well, since we're going to need it done by summer.

Maybe my stuff was swapped out at one point? The car has the WS6 package, but has drums in the rear rather than discs, and 2.77 gears. Is there an options list online somewhere?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #19
Frosty

www.thirdgen.org

How many miles are on your car? If it's floating chances are things are worn. My 89 with Koni's and a few little other things handled like it was on rails.

Also, if you plan on doing the SFC's yourself read up on the proper way to do it, it's more than just welding them along the rockers.

Last edited by Frosty; 03-23-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
Mensaf

Thanks for the link dude. It's an '87 with 97k on it. Guess it's original suspension then.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
V
Stalker

Quote:
Werd. Found out right after I posted that all 5 speeds were autos.
well earlier vettes had either 3 speed automatics(some maybe had powerglides even, im not sure), or 4 speed manuals. 84-88 vettes could come with the 4+3 manual trans, or a 700r4(4 speed auto). Then they got the ZF 6 speeds up until 96. The auto versions were still 4 speeds. In 97, the T56(6 speed) was the manual trans and the auto remained only 4 speed. To date, no vettes ever had 5 speeds, auto or manual.

Last edited by V; 03-23-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #22
Mensaf

5 speed+ Overdrive. I guess that's 6 :idk:
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
5 speed+ Overdrive. I guess that's 6 :idk:
The 6 speed manuals were double overdrive....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #24
Mensaf

Talking about the auto.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #25
JL8Jeff

Quote:
Talking about the auto.
Nope, they never put a 5 speed in the Vette, manual or auto.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech