Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey

Notices

Old 08-13-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
2001orangess

Bad News Everyone

well, i probably won't be able to make it on sunday. to be honest, i don't think i even have a chance of going there cause my car sucks ass and decided to mess up tonight, or well this morning.

cliffnotes,....car idling bad and rpms shoots up, won't race at nationals

[rant] well, today i got my car back from ttp. it wasn't completely done, but needed it to go to long island. only thing that needed to be ironed out was the tuning, however, it was good enough to drive and somewhat push it (no wot runs of course).
anyway, i get to this spot and hang out for about an hour and a half. BSing and such. After the stay, i decided venture back home. this is where everything goes downhill. i drive home rather quickly. not going past 4k (i wanted to hear the turbo spool). when i hit that high of an rpm, i would quickly let off the gas. Did it a couple of times. When i was almost to the queens midtown tunnel, i pushed it again. Like i said nothing over 4k. than my heart sank. I hear a pop and as soon as i heard it, i let off the gas. so it was "pop" than "sound of the BOV. I was like WTF. anyway, i started to let the car coast. there was no where to park cause the tunnel was right there. So i decided to go through it and try to park somewhere. As I was going through the tunnel, the rpms would raise to 2k and then drop. When i push the gas to go, the car would bog down like crazy. I coasted through the tunnel and when I got out of it, things went from bad to worse. As i was sitting at the light, I would see my rpms go to 2k and than drop, than suddenly, it went to 2k, than 3k, than 4k. stupid car kept reving. so i shut it off.
So now i'm in the middle of New York with a busted car. Tried to let car cool down and try again. Same result. So i can AAA, took them over 3 hours to get a tow truck to where I'm at. It's now 5 in the morning and I just got home. Should have been home over 4 hours ago. what;s worse is the fact that my car probably won't be ready for tomorrow, something I was looking foward to for such a long time. [end rant]
2001orangess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

ouch sorry to hear that
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Rahul

sorry to hear about that man .. I saw your 'Maro at TTP.. with the C6 rims in the rears.. sweet looking ride !!

I'm sure it'll be okay.. bring it back to TTP as soon as possible.. they'll take care of it

Magnaflow : Kooks LT w/Cat Y : Lid : SFCs : B&M T. Cooler : WS.9 R/A Hood : Vig 3600 : LS6 Intake : ASP Pulley : TB Bypass: TTP Stg 3 Cam kit .. 390 RWHP : 376 RWTQ

Alpine IVA-D310 : JL 10W3V2 : JL XR-CSi comps : Alpine MRP-M350 & MRV-F345..
Chrome ZR-1 17x9.5\" / 17x11 : GS-D3s 315s ...
Koni SA : DMS Springs : UMI Adj. Panhard Bar..

-=99 L67 GTX=- SOLD
Rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
The Fixer

Start looking for loose vacuum lines. That'll explain the "pop" sound and surging idle. It's probably something simple.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
2001orangess

well, i'm at TTP right now. got the car towed here. however, they haven't gotten to the car yet. they also think it;s a vacuum leak. anyway, i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
slasherbarb
Fidget Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
Start looking for loose vacuum lines. That'll explain the "pop" sound and surging idle. It's probably something simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Barb = fist pump extraordinaire
- Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba428 View Post
just for the record...whos falus is lodged in your sfincter
slasherbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

hopefully you can at least hook up with someone and get a ride down to hang out tomorrow.
i wouldn't worry too much about the car. ttp has a good crew that can figure out the problem and get you back on the road.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

sucks man, good luck with it

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #9
2001orangess

I'm going to try to go regardless, but i really wanted to race down there.

Cliffnotes...problem found, burst panel in the intake manifold blew, car won't be done until next week. Â*i wanna strangle someone

they already figured it out, but they are stumped on why it happened. Â*As some of you guys know, I've done a lot of work since last year. Â*Adding, cams and the sts turbo kit. Â*Anyway, TTp was suppose to dyno tune my car on friday, but their cable was left in a customers car. Â*This customer was in maryland. Â*So i needed the car for on night and they agreed to give it back to me. Â*I was suppose to have their at 10 in the morning to finish it up. Â*They call me about 2ish and tell me that the burst panel in the lsx intake manifold blew. Â*Can't remember what else, but nothing can done until tuesday. Â*What gets them is that i needed to make at least 20lbs of boost to blow them out. Â*My car is set for only 10 and i dond't even see that last night. Â*Like i said, I didn't push it hard. Â*I would let it spool and than let off.

edit... the car has seen numerous dyno runs so i know it never boosted over 13lbs (spike) but that was all fixed and it stayed at a constant 10lbs
Old 08-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

weird
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #11
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

well, if the wastegate or BOV or whatever you have on there doesnt open and let the pressure out, you might have spiked it high enough to blow it out. I could be wrong though, I'll admit, I dont know a whole lot about turbo systems . Just a thought. But yeah man, that really sucks. I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time, I've heard nothing but great things about TTP 8) .
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:34 PM   #12
misterjuice

I think.....even letting it boost and then let off can create a high pressure situation inside your manifold...for a brief period of time (when your throttle blade is closing....and your BOV has not release the pressure yet). I don't know if i'm making sense...or even correct for that matter.

2008 G8 GT Ignition Orange - New Era OTR intake, PM-FL Axle Back, SuperChips Cortex Tune
misterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
2001orangess

not good with turbo also, but wouldn't the gauge tell me approximatley how much boost is bein created. It goes up to 15lbs and when it hits 10lbs, a light turns on. also like i said i didn't really push it either. gas...till it spools....let go.

but like i said, maybe i'm wrong. maybe i should go to the honda boards and ask for help...j/k

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > North Jersey