Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #76
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Either your face hits the steering wheel or side window or your head tries to go there and paralyzes you instead. Both are good choices.
I'll take A of those choices. I've already done the 45mph head on into a truck that decided to make a left while I was entering the intersection going straight. Which I'd guess is a pretty typical street accident as far as speed & impact. I did not hit the steering wheel or get hurt, I had the OE 3 points on. Front of the car crumpled as best a 2nd gen is designed to. In fact you have to look for fatigue cracks in used 2nd gen hoods at the crumple points in front of the hinges. The hood in my back yard off the 81 Z I stripped has cracks.

btw the brand new S10 4x4 got totaled lol. I drove home. I could have had it all repaired including a new RR qtr panel for $2500. I should have!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #77
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
That was my thought, stock 3pt belt will slow you down but odds are, I would get a face full of steering wheel. Otherwise, 5pt would hold my body tight and neck/head would take shock.
how fast do you intend on driving in the street that you plan to stretch the OE belt that far?

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #78
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
how fast do you intend on driving in the street that you plan to stretch the OE belt that far?
Not fast at all, I drive the exact speed limit for the most part these days. Old person status.

Just curious on the tradeoff between a 5pts protection from body moving into roll bar, vs body held tight and head/spine taking all the shock.

Again, just bored at work and curious about the topic.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #79
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Not fast at all, I drive the exact speed limit for the most part these days. Old person status.

Just curious on the tradeoff between a 5pts protection from body moving into roll bar, vs body held tight and head/spine taking all the shock.

Again, just bored at work and curious about the topic.
no roll bar in front of you in 4/6 point setups, so non-concern. your seat should take car of movement backwards, they are designed to do that. That is why car seats got mandatory head rests in the 70s due to whiplash injuries. And old car guys that remove seat tops for the cool look are insane.

put your engineering hat on. Why do OEs still use 3 points and supplement with airbags instead of some other method? It isn't cost.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #80
LTb1ow

Quote:
no roll bar in front of you in 4/6 point setups, so non-concern. your seat should take car of movement backwards, they are designed to do that. That is why car seats got mandatory head rests in the 70s due to whiplash injuries. And old car guys that remove seat tops for the cool look are insane.

put your engineering hat on. Why do OEs still use 3 points and supplement with airbags instead of some other method? It isn't cost.
Your head can still travel up and back into the main hoop from a real bad rear end or angle rear shot. I don't think a 3pt would keep you secured enough for that motion IMO.

Logically speaking a 3pt is more idiot proof than a 5pt harness and much easier for a EMT/fire crew to cut you out of the car.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #81
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Your head can still travel up and back into the main hoop from a real bad rear end or angle rear shot. I don't think a 3pt would keep you secured enough for that motion IMO.

Logically speaking a 3pt is more idiot proof than a 5pt harness and much easier for a EMT/fire crew to cut you out of the car.
that would be quite a wreck to take move the body up and back. which in my thinking gets back to 80/20. what you describe to me sounds like a 20%er while the wreck I was in is an 80% example. And my neck did not snap. Seat choice matters, as well as exactly where that bar is behind you. And where NHRA wants it.

Egress is a discussion we have not had. That was one of the interesting takeways for me talking to Ron last month. He said his drivers practice getting out of the car. Another thing that seemed perfectly logical but I had never thought of. Harness, HANs, smoke, cage bars, I imagine it can get quite tense getting out of a car. Imagine someone else trying to get you out of a burning car if you are wearing a harness, which is unfamiliar equipment to most people.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #82
LTb1ow

So it seems a good compromise (other than price wise ) is to get solid mounted, non folding, high backed chairs, and mount the bar hoop as far back as legal via NHRA. Then run a 5pt harness and stock 3pt harness for street use.

Question then is, at the track, why do they not care about your neck injury just skull injuries? Assuming cause requiring a very pricey HANS device would be out of the question?
Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #83
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
So it seems a good compromise (other than price wise ) is to get solid mounted, non folding, high backed chairs, and mount the bar hoop as far back as legal via NHRA. Then run a 5pt harness and stock 3pt harness for street use.

Question then is, at the track, why do they not care about your neck injury just skull injuries? Assuming cause requiring a very pricey HANS device would be out of the question?
I cannot speak to what drives NHRA rules, they may be outdated, no idea. But I'm not sure how many front-enders you get into on a drag strip so maybe the rules skew towards different types of accidents. I really don't know..

i did some googling on HANs and tripped on this: http://www.autoracing1.com/goodboys/001031HANS1.htm

Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #84
WSex

At the track what are you expecting to hit head on? Other than island.... I think keeping the oe belts for street and 5 pt for tracks is best bet.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #85
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
At the track what are you expecting to hit head on? Other than island.... I think keeping the oe belts for street and 5 pt for tracks is best bet.
The wall on either side of me...?

Have you seen any cars hit it? I saw one knock a jersey barrier a few feet, then bounce down the track..
Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #86
WSex

Quote:
The wall on either side of me...?

Have you seen any cars hit it? I saw one knock a jersey barrier a few feet, then bounce down the track..
key word. head on. unless you launch facing the wall.. possible.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #87
LTb1ow

Quote:
key word. head on. unless you launch facing the wall.. possible.
Yes, he 90* from something and nailed a wall head on.

Its possible.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #88
WSex

idk man. pick your poison..... tie a rope from the main hoop to your helmet and enjoy.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #89
LTb1ow

I got all winter to pick it, just wanted to hash out some thoughts I had on the topic.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #90
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Yes, he 90* from something and nailed a wall head on.

Its possible.
Plan for the 80%....

Old 12-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #91
LTb1ow

Quote:
Plan for the 80%....
You do know whose car this thread is about? Lets be serious here. Anything is possible.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #92
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Expecting to hit dead nuts? Maybe the wall, maybe the guy that swerved into your lane by accident. **** happens.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #93
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Yeah you could tbone someone or get out of the groove and take a hard turn into the wall.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #94
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Accidents suck.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #95
LTb1ow

Nice vids, pretty eye opening.

Guess I will stick to feeling safe in mai truck and live dangerously in the car.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #96
Dudbird113

I know a while back a kid in my town (adult now) got his 4th gen sawed in half by a pole behind the driver seat. Both of them survived.

Last edited by Dudbird113; 12-29-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Dudbird113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #97
The_Bishop
Power Member

Maybe stupid but somewhat relevant question; does a 6 point require the bar behind the seat for NHRA legality?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.

Last edited by The_Bishop; 12-29-2013 at 12:37 PM.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #98
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Maybe stupid but somewhat relevant question; does a 6 point require the bar behind the seat for NHRA legality?
What bar? There is a diagram posted in here that shows helmet position relevant to the hoop. The crossbar is for seat bracing and belt attachment.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #99
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Crossbar? Yes. It can not be removable, either.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #100
The_Bishop
Power Member

Yeah, I meant the crossbar behind the seat. Don't understand why they don't make it removable, seems like it would encourage more safety equipment use if it didn't impact so badly on the streetable aspects of a car.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing