Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Paintless Dent Repair

Does anyone have experience with this? A substantial amount of ice fell off the roof of my office building and lined the front part of the hood of my Saab with small dents. They are unnoticeable in most lighting, but its been occupying my mind and I am willing to pay if it can be repaired, or even just greatly improved.

Opinions please and thanks in advance. I'll try and grab a pic later now that the sun is coming out.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

i had this guy fix dents on the Z. Did good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Hey Sliderule, the guy who took the dent out my Z does that too. I saw positive posts on BMW and Porsche sites about his work, including clear bra. No nonsense, all business kind of guy. Not a hack kid. I got his name from a dealer. IIRC, that stuff ain't cheap. $500-$700

609-647-6065 Bill "Rocky" Rouchford

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Try it yourself. Use a good heat gun on the dent and surrounding area for a couple minutes then hit spray one of those computer air dusters on the area upside down. Youtube it, pretty cool but doesn't always work. You are trying to realign the molecules in the metal via rapid heating and cooling.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
1320B4U

dent wizard in leonia...ask for bruno. excellent work and will cut you a break if there is more than 1 dent on a body panel. had him take out several on my lexus back in the day from light hail damage on roof.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
qwikz28

Social Networks:

This guy got back to me via text today offered to come to me and do it for $125: http://www.nydentguy.com/ Looks like he has good equipment from his before and after gallery and from what I can tell, I'm not coming to him with an exotic or a tough job. Just a few dents on the edge of a hood.

I don't have the patience to do it myself, I don't think. I'd pay the coin to get it done right the first time, but I also don't want to miss work to get the repair done.

Thanks for the info, Scott and 1320. I'm going to look into both of those guys as well and see if they are willing to work a few hours on a weekend and for how much.

I'm over-complicating this.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
WSex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Try it yourself. Use a good heat gun on the dent and surrounding area for a couple minutes then hit spray one of those computer air dusters on the area upside down. Youtube it, pretty cool but doesn't always work. You are trying to realign the molecules in the metal via rapid heating and cooling.
works best with large shallow dents
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
works best with large shallow dents
I imagine that would work well with "Camry dents" in the corners of plastic bumpers.

The guy raised the price to $150 after I corrected him that the car had more than one dent. I made an appointment and he is coming to my home to make the repairs. $150 isn't an amount I'm going to lose sleep over if this guy can't fix the dents to my satisfaction. If he can't, I'll try that guy in Leonia. Not worth my sanity to keep shopping around and googling dent repair guys.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
1320B4U

Sounds good. The number to the facility is: 800-336-8949 . If he doesn't work at that location any more let me know..i have his cell.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
qwikz28

Social Networks:

As an update, I canceled my appointment to remove the dents because I woke up Friday and noticed this:

My boss backed up into my car. I got an estimate for both the hood and the door at a local body shop in Wyckoff. $1800 for the door, $950 for the hood. The guy said he has a paintless dent repair guy at his shop, but my hood cannot be repaired paintlessly. The dents are too many and have creased the paint. In my nearly 11 years of driving, I've never had a car in a body shop, and just had two incidents in a week, both while the car is parked in the same parking lot. Not bad.

Last edited by qwikz28; 01-05-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

"Nothing says ladies man like Swedish safety!"

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
1320B4U

Every car i've had was at the body shop 1 time or another for custom work/paint/additions. To me, $2700 is waaaaayyyyy too much for the repair. If the paint is creased then yes dent wizard cannot do anything for you. If its not then they can regardless of how many dents are in that panel....i'd take it to dent wizard and have them check it out first if your unsure of the paint issues. My lexus had over 25 dings from hail in the roof. Dent wizard can handle several dents in a body panel. Guy charged me $500 for the roof of my car. I'd shop around for that door though, can't see it being that much unless they plan on replacing the door and there is an issue w/allocating the panel in a discontinued vehicle (which i doubt this early after the brand has been terminated). In my experience, they will have to blend the paint so it is possible they included the need to repaint the side of the vehicle including both doors. When repainting the hood, some shops do repaint the front fenders for uniform blending...this is my experience though in having that done. See how much paintwork is required though. If its just the door and hood, i think you can find a lot better deal imo.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
qwikz28

Social Networks:

The guy is willing to repair the door instead of replacing it which would be substantially cheaper, but he is very clear that it won't be 100%. If I'm just doing paintless dent repair on the cheap, I can settle for less than perfect. If the car is going to a body shop, I want it done right the first time. I paid a premium to get this specific car with the metallic paint, so I'd like to keep it looking perfect. This body shop is good. They did work on my buddy's Vette and my cousin's 5th gen. Both came out top notch. I don't mind trying out shops for estimates, but they have to come well recommended. I can spot crummy body work from a block away, and it would drive me insane seeing an imperfection. More so than even leaving the car as is, strangely.

My boss has full coverage because I know he just got this car he hit me with on lease (Subaru XV). If he is unwilling to pay out of pocket, his insurance is going to have to foot the bill. I think thats fair, right?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
A..... but my hood cannot be repaired paintlessly. The dents are too many and have creased the paint. .....
you will be surprised on what they can do. I had a nice crease (about a foot long) in the back 1/4 of my Silverado that was paintlessly removed.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
1320B4U

If he's willing to pay for the fix and you trust the shop go ahead...its hard finding a shop you can trust. Sometimes, if a shop thinks your going thru insurance they may up the price to compensate for the back and forth in neg. w/them as insurance co's come in at a lower price but it doesn't matter in your case.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
qwikz28

Social Networks:

1320, I would like to bring the car to your guy Bruno and have him look at it and give me his opinion. I don't know what else to do. Maybe he can even smooth out the dent on the door. Who knows.

I'll try that number you gave me tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
1320B4U

Ok....again let me know if you want his cell if he doesn't work at that location any longer...been some time since i spoke to him last but he's been in the game for years...hope that helps you out.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320B4U View Post
Ok....again let me know if you want his cell if he doesn't work at that location any longer...been some time since i spoke to him last but he's been in the game for years...hope that helps you out.
Ha, thanks for the help through my endless indecision.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech