Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Welcome / Introduction

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
L695speed

Welcome and that is one clean car. For those asking I believe the Wildwood kit is 12 inches. I came across the same one when looking into upgrading my own brakes.

To the OP. If you have the PBR rears (which I believe you should) I'd just leave them and upgrade the pads. Those are basically the same rears as the LT1 disc cars. LS1s they changed. Count yourself fortunate you don't have the Delco Moraines, those are even worse. I don't think mine worked at all. But in either case unless you spend the money the PBRs found on the later cars and LT1s along with the LS1 rear is the best you can do for upgrading third gen rear brakes from what I've found.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
edpontiac91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baudi View Post
The fronts cost around $700 from Jegs. The only real modification for mounting them is that you have to cut off the ears that hold the original caliper bracket and then retap the holes that hold the splash shield and mount the new caliper bracket there. I also bough aftermarket steel brake lines from Jegs but I had to modify the ends because they came with banjo fittings instead of straight threaded ones. The last little problem I ran into was when I went to put my original lug nuts on and realized that the new studs were 1/2". Woops.

I want to redo my rear brakes as well but I think I may just keep them stock. It would be pretty pricey and from what I understand the majority of the stopping power comes from the fronts.
Are you saying that the studs will NOT take the factory lug nuts. I have the 16" Diamond spoke wheels and it uses a chrome plastic cap that screws onto the lug nut. The lugs are 3/4".

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #28
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpontiac91 View Post
Are you saying that the studs will NOT take the factory lug nuts. I have the 16" Diamond spoke wheels and it uses a chrome plastic cap that screws onto the lug nut. The lugs are 3/4".
stock 3rd gen studs are not 1/2". they are smaller metric ones, IIRC M12-1.5. So no, your stock lugs will not work on 1/2" studs.

3/4" - you must mean the size of the nut. Which isn't really right either.

those look like dynalites. gotta be careful ordering those Ed. some kits are drag oriented and designed for lighter cars (sub 2800 lbs kind of light). maybe no dirt seals either (not 100% on that).

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #29
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
stock 3rd gen studs are not 1/2". they are smaller metric ones, IIRC M12-1.5. So no, your stock lugs will not work on 1/2" studs.

3/4" - you must mean the size of the nut. Which isn't really right either.

Yea I believe you're right. It is M12-1.5 with a .505 knurl or something like that. Nuts are 19 mm which is very close to 3/4. Sometimes can use either size on the nuts.
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Welcome / Introduction