Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
JPiZZiJP

Street racing...

You know one thing about street racing I hate? These people that go like, 60 or 70 mph and pull ahead and thing they've won.

I was on Rt 22 last night heading into NYC, and this guy in a black Camaro SS is driving like a complete jackass weaving from lane to lane (if anyone knows how Rt 22 is around the union/mountainside area, you know what I mean by jackass, considering you can't get very far with the 2 lanes on Rt 22 there).

I was just taking my time last night, and this guy obviously sees me and I can hear him drop gears, to let me know he wants to race. So there's a gap in traffic and we both slide through and he takes off and gets up to maybe 45 - 50 mph and then coasts. I eventually catch up next to him, not that I was going full throttle, but I wasn't trying to waste time getting into NYC..

So, I end up next to the guy going maybe 45 and he gives me this goofy ass grin and takes off. So I take off with him, and given, my z28 is not as fast as his SS so I fall way behind (plus I think he had some mods done... aside from the exhaust which you could tell). So, this guy coasts again at around 60 and he's aggravated me at this point so I just floor it and fly by him up to 100.

Now, I know racing at Island or Englishtown or Atco is whoever gets to the line first wins... but since when did street racing become "haha I've pulled ahead by 2 car lengths in front of you in traffic... I win"? Street racing is illegal to begin with, so why do so many people punk out at the actual speed limit? When I street race, I will go as fast as necessary to win (without killing myself) lol.

(Not trying to sound conceited... but) having a nice car, a lot of different cars see me and naturally try to race. I have seen some crazy mofos in pimped out Honda Civics that have given me a run for my money. Doing 100 in some places is just outright obscene, if you know what I mean. Whereas, in situations last night, I get a pussy behind the wheel of an SS.

That just really pisses me off.

~Joe
JPiZZiJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
skorpion317

if he was already putting car lengths on you from 40-60 there's no need for him to keep going. he's just gonna keep pulling away up to 100.

and what you did was a ricer fly-by.
skorpion317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion317
and what you did was a ricer fly-by.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

if people are acting like an idiot around you the best thing you can do is not get involved.
by giving teh guy a run you just encouraged him, which in turn pissed you off enough so that you drove like an *******.
i hve been on both sides of street racing in my life. i can tell you from what i have seen that it makes tons more sense and is way safer to leave it at the tracks.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Jersey_TA
10 Second Club

When I race an F-bod, I always give them the proper respect. Usually I let off when I know the other guy has no chance of catching me. Usually ending around the speed limit when I have the slicks on since I have traction. I usually never take it past 100.
2000 T/A WS6 - 11.190 @ 119.79...SOLD
Jersey_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
Slow Z
11 Second Club

Racing around cities and stop-light racing is just flat out gay... I would never even look over at someone trying to run me from a stop light because its a waste of time AND too risky. Who knows what cops are lurking around or if some blind old lady is gonna pull out in front of you.

...I'll stick to backwoods
Old 09-20-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

IMO its a waste of gas (which is very precious to me). If I do run someone from a light, I stop after its clear that I won by a car or two's length. I specifically dont bother with cars that look like they cant put up a fight, or they are just known to be faster cars.

Stretching it out that far is just to stroke their Ego. Someday they'll relize after their little orgasm they just goo'd all over-themselves (IE ****ed)
Old 09-20-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
bencar

Re: Street racing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPiZZiJP
You know one thing about street racing I hate? These people that go like, 60 or 70 mph and pull ahead and thing they've won.

I was on Rt 22 last night heading into NYC, and this guy in a black Camaro SS is driving like a complete jackass weaving from lane to lane (if anyone knows how Rt 22 is around the union/mountainside area, you know what I mean by jackass, considering you can't get very far with the 2 lanes on Rt 22 there).

I was just taking my time last night, and this guy obviously sees me and I can hear him drop gears, to let me know he wants to race. So there's a gap in traffic and we both slide through and he takes off and gets up to maybe 45 - 50 mph and then coasts. I eventually catch up next to him, not that I was going full throttle, but I wasn't trying to waste time getting into NYC..

So, I end up next to the guy going maybe 45 and he gives me this goofy ass grin and takes off. So I take off with him, and given, my z28 is not as fast as his SS so I fall way behind (plus I think he had some mods done... aside from the exhaust which you could tell). So, this guy coasts again at around 60 and he's aggravated me at this point so I just floor it and fly by him up to 100.

Now, I know racing at Island or Englishtown or Atco is whoever gets to the line first wins... but since when did street racing become "haha I've pulled ahead by 2 car lengths in front of you in traffic... I win"? Street racing is illegal to begin with, so why do so many people punk out at the actual speed limit? When I street race, I will go as fast as necessary to win (without killing myself) lol.

(Not trying to sound conceited... but) having a nice car, a lot of different cars see me and naturally try to race. I have seen some crazy mofos in pimped out Honda Civics that have given me a run for my money. Doing 100 in some places is just outright obscene, if you know what I mean. Whereas, in situations last night, I get a pussy behind the wheel of an SS.

~Joe
Your Story sounds painfully familiar. On the way home from the 'Jackson Outlet Mall' 'Cruise Night' last month, I had a Ford Focus try to race me on Rt 9, near Freehold, and then I had a girl in a Satrun trying to race me as I was getting off of Rt 9 on to 287 North. What were these people thinking, better yet-Were they thinking?
bencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 AM   #9
Jersey_TA
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencar
Quote:

~Joe
Your Story sounds painfully familiar. On the way home from the 'Jackson Outlet Mall' 'Cruise Night' last month, I had a Ford Focus try to race me on Rt 9, near Freehold, and then I had a girl in a Satrun trying to race me as I was getting off of Rt 9 on to 287 North. What were these people thinking, better yet-Were they thinking?
If I saw a car like your's driving down the road my jaw would drop. I have a 77 trans am back home that is on the ropes in need of some TLC. It's got a 400 that came out of a GTO under the hood. 8)
Old 09-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
Jersey_TA
10 Second Club

When I race, I make sure the road is clear ahead, and no cops are watching(well from what I can see). I am constantly scanning the road, my mirrors, and the speed-o just incase something unexpected happens. I wouldn't even street race if the other guy didn't start it. I have only instigated 2 races, and they were both with a Dodge Viper GTS. I wish I had a count of the races I just let go
Old 09-21-2004, 10:17 AM   #11
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey_TA
I wish I had a count of the races I just let go
Like that Mustang in the Wawa parking lot

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #12
Jersey_TA
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Quote:
I wish I had a count of the races I just let go
Like that Mustang in the Wawa parking lot

- Justin
Don't remind me
Old 09-21-2004, 07:53 PM   #13
bencar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencar
Quote:

~Joe
If I saw a car like your's driving down the road my jaw would drop. I have a 77 trans am back home that is on the ropes in need of some TLC. It's got a 400 that came out of a GTO under the hood. 8)
Um, thanks. Funny thing though, I don't look to race these morons, they seek me out, and like one of the guys said, yeah, I'm always on the look out for the boys in blue when these incidents occur. Usually, when these clowns with the 'wind-up toys' try to run me, I'll give em a quick dusting if the coast is clear, and then slow down to a legal cruising speed. If the idiot still wants to play, I'll let them go, so they can find the cops for me
Old 09-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
PBodyGT87
Hot Liz, Cold Beer

as you know my car is in no way as speedy as some of the ones the guys on here have. however, i do get challenged to race, mostly by civics and miatas with fart pipes. the biggest challenge, if i can call it that, was a red 60 something (im not good with specific years) mustang (why would you try to run me with a classic car?), and some young Tart driving it (probably daddy's car) riding my ass and doing neutral drops and revving it, and laughing, as i could see in my mirror. while i may not be fast, my car handles like a charm with that mid-engine goodness. so i stayed at the speed limit, gave him a lil wave to follow me, and it was on. i took every turn without braking, down some side streets and he burned rubber trying to keep up and correcting all over, with his car stepping out all over the place. I let him catch up, as he was much farther behind now, and i gave him a wave off and that was it. I had just gotten the car so i was kinda mad at myself for taking the chance after it was all done. that is the only street race i ever had. at least it was all at the speed limit, for me at least. muahaha.

Also: 1974 Honda CB550/four. Ah, the OPEN-open road.
99 Saturn SW1. Flaunting a fender "blemish" (large gaping hole) thanks to a hit a run. Never caught the guy. Permanent Driveway Status at Justin's.
PBodyGT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:57 PM   #15
bencar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBodyGT87
as you know my car is in no way as speedy as some of the ones the guys on here have. however, i do get challenged to race, mostly by civics and miatas with fart pipes. the biggest challenge, if i can call it that, was a red 60 something (im not good with specific years) mustang (why would you try to run me with a classic car?), and some young Tart driving it (probably daddy's car) riding my ass and doing neutral drops and revving it, and laughing, as i could see in my mirror. while i may not be fast, my car handles like a charm with that mid-engine goodness. so i stayed at the speed limit, gave him a lil wave to follow me, and it was on. i took every turn without braking, down some side streets and he burned rubber trying to keep up and correcting all over, with his car stepping out all over the place. I let him catch up, as he was much farther behind now, and i gave him a wave off and that was it. I had just gotten the car so i was kinda mad at myself for taking the chance after it was all done. that is the only street race i ever had. at least it was all at the speed limit, for me at least. muahaha.
Get the idea that these kiddies have watched one too many replays of the 'Fast and Furious.' I still can't figure out the Ford Focus and the Saturn bit with me

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge