Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Stay at current job 1 33.33%
Sign the posting 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

What Would You Do?

Well, if some of you dont know, Im 21 years old, and Im a garbage man for a living. I pick up trash for the township I live in, for a base salary of $41,000 without tips, selling garbage picks, or overtime. If I included that, I'd round it anywhere between $45,000 - $48,000 per year. My hours at my current job now are 5:30AM-2:30PM and alot of overtime in the fall and winter. In roughly 2 years, I will be upgraded to "driver's pay" which will mean I will be making a base salary around $50,000. Anyway, a job was posted in the township for a foreman/asst supervizor in the sewer departmint. The requirements are that you worked for the township for 5 years, class B CD-L , other small things, and will be sent out to school for "knowledge" if you dont already have it (which basically means, they will put me through school to learn ****, seriously) . The hours would be 9:00AM - 5:00PM, and the pay will be $81,000/yr . Now, if your thinking TAKE THE SEWER JOB FOR THE MONEY , this is where it gets tricky on my part. Of course the money is great, but look where I'll be working. Ive been there a cpl times to pick up their dumpsters and it was the only time I gagged at my job cuz the air was so putrid with "****". I seriously had a loss of breath. The smell of garbage doesnt bother me at all, but the **** smell lingering in the air just killed it. Then think of the hours... I get out at 2:30PM now and have 8-9 hours to do anything as I please for the rest of the day... with this sewer job, ill be getting out at 5 and i really wont be able to do anything... by the time I get out of work, the day is almost over. My job now is basically my workout for the day, cuz I lift anywhere from 12 tons - @16 tons a day (in Autumn during compost season, its around the 35 ton range) ... and the good part about this posting is I basically sit on my ass all day at the sewer plant and study "****" . I dunno, is it worth it? Id like to hear some thoughts
Old 04-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
johnjzjz

THE OLDER YOU GET THE LESS THE BULL BOTHERS ALL OF US IT JUST BECOMES PART OF THE DEAL ---AND IN 10 YEARS THE WEATHER THAT DOES NOT REALY BOTHER YOU NOW WILL LIKE TO KILL YOU THAN , SWINGING CANS ---TAKE THE JOB THAT PAYS MORE IN THE END AND IS EASYER ON YOUR BODY, AND HAS BENIFITS YOU DONT CARE ABOUT NOW BUT DOWN THE ROAD WILL MATTER JZ
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

thats really tough. If you really cant stand the stench of the sewer hob, then it probably wouldnt work out too well. If you can get over that, I'd say go for the sewer job. 81K a year is some SERIOUS bank, that makes its sound pretty damn good to me. thats enough money for you to actually afford to live by yourself in north jersey.

john has a point too about how lifting all that weight will be a pain in the ass in 10 years or so. If I were in your position, I'd try like hell for the high paying swere job. even though you'll be there until 5, you'll still have your weekends free and in the winter you wont have to be out plowing for 20 hours straight.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
camarokev

aight bro.... here's what it all comes down to:

What would make YOU happy?

If it's the money, then your choice is obvious.
If it's the extra free time and the exercise you have now... then do that.

But make sure you think hard about what will make you happy 5-10 years from now.

I'd do a "Ben Franklin fold". Basically, any really really tough decision I have to make, I make two columns, one for each of the choices. And I put all of the pluses and all of the minuses for that choice in the column. Add em up, and boom whichever is higher, usually that's the right choice.

But seriously... do what makes you happy. Money- bleh.... I'll introduce you to my dad sometime... he makes decent but not great money as a professional magician for 30 years bro... but he LOVES what he does. That's what matters.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
enRo
13 Second Club

Yes, ive been weighing each option down and im still clueless. See, a Driver in my job now doesnt really do much, but drive and help only when its needed.

As for the Sewer plant stench, Im sure Shrek can fill you in on that one since he lives about a 2 minute walk from there
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
Rich189
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

i say try like hell for the sewage job.... get used to the smell and go to the gym before work then u get to sleep a couple hours later meaning u can stay up a couple hours later and still have the same amount of time to do whatever....

2002 Trans am ws6.. black on black bolt ons with a JS built trans, 3200 stall,TTM's w/315's, full umi adj rear suspension, strano springs/sways, and koni 4/4's

2015 Forester XT touring... STI Sway bars
Rich189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
NP_00'T/A
12 Second Club

seriously man i used to work summer for my towns DPW and that included the sewer department.... you WILL get used to the smell and being the forman you probably won't have to do much work probably run tests on the water and stuff at most. I say go for the job its a great opportunity, and trust me you will get used to it in a couple months.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
The Fixer

Well, either one of them is a great gig. FWIW, I've been a teacher for EIGHT YEARS, and make less $$ than you do. I should quit and go to work out there!

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I work 47 hours a week and I make WAY less than you are right now. definitly go with the sewer job, you'll be glad you did in a few years when you're all saved up to buy a killer house.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge