Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
baddest434
8 Second Club

good luck to you dude.
baddest434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #27
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

if it is what you want to do, go for it.
my only suggestion would be to make your initial enlistment for the shortest term available. it leaves you more options for the future whether you decide to stay in or become a civilian again.
be very mindful of what the recruiter says and, much like any major life decision, don't believe anything they are saying unless they are willing to put it in writing.
as a marine your primary MSO will always be infantryman. they will likely let you make a short wish list of 2 or 3 secondary MSO's that you woudl prefer to study/advance in. take your time in making that decision, try to pick something that relates to things you already enjoy doing or a field you would like to be in shoudl you decide to get out eventually.

god bless man. be careful where ever they put you and always know that we all support you no matter where you have to go.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #28
1_Hot_SOM_WS6
12 Second Club

Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #29
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Thanks guys. No if only my close buddies felt the same way. I figuered that they of all ppl. would see where I'm coming from in making the decision. Its not like I've rushed into it. I've been thinkoing about this for the past 6 mnths.
Firebird67dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #30
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

good luck!!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #31
Silent Z

Talking

Congrats! If I could do it over again I'd go Intell. There are many jobs in that field for when you get out.

1994 Z-28, A4, T-Tops, Trick Flow/Lingenfelter CAI, Air Foil, Underdrive pullies, FlowMaster Cat back, LT4 Knock Module, MSD 8.5 wires, Cap & rotor, 6A box, Hyper-Tech 160 T-Stat, T/B bypass, Optima Red Top Batt. , And Meziere electric water pump!
Silent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #32
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Best of luck man! Nothing any of us could say can thank you enough for being willing to serve your country in this way....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #33
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

Again thanks guys and gals. means alot to have you people behind me. Now if only I could get my family behind me too.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #34
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Thumbs up

Good luck, broh. I went into the USAF right outa High School, and it was prolly the best thing I ever did.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #35
lastcall190

Good luck man, definitely not an easy choice to make. my mom reacted the same way and that was just when I told her I just got info, heh. Stay safe out there.

-J
Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #36
Firebird67dude
14 Second Club

I went out late late last night to a bar with two of my buddies and I explained what I'm doing to them. One punched me in the face and said I'm an idiot and the other bought my a bunch of shots.

It seems that besides you guys everyone else is divided on my choice of action. i really want to do this but I'm scared to tell my friend Jacqui. Shes kinda like a big sis to me even tho shes 3 yrs. younger than me and if shes against it its gunna kill me. My mom went on when I got home saying that I'm being selfish. I just don't get it. I can truely say that this is my first choice that I made concerning the rest of MY life and it seems majority of ppl. are pissed off about it.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #37
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

First of all, its your life. if this is something you want to do (which it obviously is) dont let anyone change your mind.

And how can your mom say you're selfish? devoting yourself to protect our country is anything but. She's probably just afraid that she'll lose you and is frustrated so she gets it out by saying things of that nature.

bottom line: this is your life. you dont get a chance to start over. do what you want to do and give it your all.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #38
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

I was seriously interested in joining the Marine Reserve but my rents would never let me think of doing that. Too close knit, and stuff like that. I guess it wasn't meant to be for me.

Much thanks for your duty! *salute*
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 02-21-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #39
slugger27nj

Best of luck, and I 2nd what Justin said

www.njboxerrescue.com
www.fassasfriendsboxerrescue.com
www.awarenessday.org
slugger27nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #40
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Lay out all your options on paper (marines, college, job potential, etc.) - and go out like 10 years. Your answer will jump off the page at you. And you will be better able to explain to to all that matter to you. Really.

:salute:

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #41
SpeakersGoBoom

Whats up man? Long time no talk. Haven't been here in a while, but I figured that this one deserved me to chime in. I'm also going into the millitary. I'm enlisted in the US Navy in Aviation Support. Did you go to the hackensack recruiting station? Thats where I'm doing DEP training out of. Anyway, if I can offer you any advice, its have an idea of what you wanna do, but be flexable. When you go in for meps, as im sure your recruiter probably told you, you take a test. Your score on this test determines what positions and branches your eligable to take part in (until you mess up on something on day two like the depth perception test. Let us know how you do on the depth perception test. I failed it with flying colors, and as my recruiter said when i told him, "we've put 40 people through meps since that test came out and, according to the test, all 40 of them have no depth perception whatsoever.") Anyway, you may find that you scored really well on the entrance exam, and you'll find that your options are wide open. I scored a 93 on the entrance exam (in the navy, a score of 70 means you are, on paper at least, qualified to do anything except fly the planes.), and I was approached by an officer from the NPP, informing me that I qualify for the Nuclear Propulsion Program. I took the Nuclear Propulsion test, and I passed that too. In the end, I decided to stick to Aviation Support, but it's really nice to know that the option of being a Nuclear Machinist Mate is open to me, if i decide to take it.
Responding to what someone else said, yes, you do have the option to back out at meps if you want to. You dont officially enlist until the end of the second day, but they will do everything they can to try and get you in, so be careful. Best of luck to you, man!
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #42
trans-am nut

I'm a U.S MARINE, and I'm stationed in Cherrypoint, N.C, just do what your told and keep your mouth shut. That will work the entire time your in. When you tell ppl that you want to be a Marine, and they say my friend or my cousin is in the Coast Gaurd...,or some other branch or I was gunna do it but... Or just try to tell you what's it's like and never did it. Just tell them to go f*** them selves. Because they are trying to be badass or trying to scare you. GOOD LUCK, it's only as bad as you make it, and do what ever it takes. I give everyone credit who's joining now no matter what branch you decide on.

1978 Trans-Am 400, Edelbrock carb, Acell wires/ tune up kit, K&N filter, basically stock other wise.

Last edited by trans-am nut; 02-24-2007 at 06:18 PM.
trans-am nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #43
Batman
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird67dude View Post
Well to answer your question Ian, I dont have perfect vision so flying a plane is out and the army idk I didnt like the recruiters style of bringing stuff up or how they talked to me.
'

Who says you need perfect vision to fly a plane? That is only for the fighter jocks and htey have a pretty crappy quality of life now. Being in the airlift business I would highly recommend it. You don't get the front page glory but it is a great life and you really DO get to see the world. Plus you can be enlisted and fly in the airlift business. The pay and promotions are also alot better in the Air Force Whatever you decide good luck but I highly recommend the Air Force or the Coasties. PM me if you want me to answer any questions and good luck!
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #44
trans-am nut

Go for it bro, it's one of the best moves you can make no matter what branch you choose. I have a little under four months left in the Marine Corps, and am very happy and proud of how I have spent the last four years of my life. Everytime I go home ppl are doing the same ****, working the same jobs they were when we were in high school. I come home with pics. from all over the world, and they have never left the county let alone the state. for ppl that are telling you you are thinking about your self... you should be you have to set your self up right, mostly they are just sad that you are leaving or jellious that they can't do it them selves. Plus that making your own decisions is what it takes to be a man. I honestly am very happy at the branch of service that I have chosen, no matter what base, country ,state etc EVERYONE knows who you are and knows what you represent. Marines are the best and that's it. Read about all the battles and the history that is involved. You will be very impressed. Either way you won't regret it and it's worth it.

1978 Trans-Am 400, Edelbrock carb, Acell wires/ tune up kit, K&N filter, basically stock other wise.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #45
trans-am nut

Also college is paid for, and I'm collecting an extra $800 off of the G.I. Bill, just to give you an idea of everthing.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #46
Batman
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans-am nut View Post
Marines are the best and that's it. Read about all the battles and the history that is involved. You will be very impressed. Either way you won't regret it and it's worth it.
While I don't disagree with that, NO branch of the military can survive on it's own nowadays. We are all interdependent on each other and never forget that, it really is a team effort nowadays.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #47
trans-am nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
While I don't disagree with that, NO branch of the military can survive on it's own nowadays. We are all interdependent on each other and never forget that, it really is a team effort nowadays.
If you have read my other posts I've never stated anything about it's only the Marine Corps doing all the work. The very first post I gave everyone in all the branches credit.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge