Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
S.J.SLEEPER

AUDIO/VIDEO HD BLUERAY GEEKS OR GURUS.... please help me understand this

very curious about this:

HD video, LED picture quality and all that blueray bullsnet....

When a commercial comes on and shows the fabulous picture of their HD or Blueray video on my standard 65" bigscreen or my 42" flat screen.

Why is it, that picture looks so good? If I can see this awesome picture on my standard tv than why would I need another tv to see it?

Specificlly the LED tv commercial, showing this awesome picture.....
Well what makes the commercial different to make my standard tv show the quality it does in the commercial?

am I clear on this in the way I am explaining it?
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

If you are watching TV in standard definition, and you see a commercial for an HD LED TV and you think the picture that it is displaying looks good, you will likely be blown away if you were actually watching the same commercial on an HDTV.

The resolution isn't improved any when you are watching commercials for BluRay or other high definition products.

What type of 42" flat screen do you have? Is it just a flat glass screen on an older CRT (tube-type) TV, or is it a hang on the wall type of flat panel LCD or plasma?

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Slow-V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
very curious about this:

HD video, LED picture quality and all that blueray bullsnet....

When a commercial comes on and shows the fabulous picture of their HD or Blueray video on my standard 65" bigscreen or my 42" flat screen.

Why is it, that picture looks so good? If I can see this awesome picture on my standard tv than why would I need another tv to see it?

Specificlly the LED tv commercial, showing this awesome picture.....
Well what makes the commercial different to make my standard tv show the quality it does in the commercial?

am I clear on this in the way I am explaining it?

If the picture looks better on your Standard TV it probably looks alot better with a HD TV. Now with Blu-Rays and HD Dvd's.. The quality of those are so impressive that it blew my mind.. When we first got our HD Dvd player and PS3 I didnt know what to expect. Then I watched the 1st Matrix movie on HD DVD and it was amazing. It was like watching a new movie that I have never seen before. Now we never really go to the movies anymore because we wait for them to get onto BR.. I have a 1080p DLP 50 inch thats about 4 years old now and it still has an amazing picture.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Knipps

because that's the way the commercial was designed. To get you off your couch and into the store to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
S.J.SLEEPER

65" is a hitachi bigscreen projection hd capable
42" is a vizio hd capable flat screen,3" thick hangs on wall, not sure if its plasma or what/.

I have DIrect TV & no HD service
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

52 inch Sharp Aquos LED TV here - it is utterly epic!

I already had HDtv and a blueray player (ps3) but when I upgraded to an LED tv everything else is sub standard!

N commercials will be made to look awesome so you go out and buy it
Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
LS1Hawk

From my understanding, LED is not a type of TV. It is just what backlights an LCD, rather than using conventional fluorescent lights. The benefit of an LCD LED is that it will be thinner, uses less energy, and gives you a brighter display and better contrast, but are more expensive.

But how much better is an LED vs. a non LED LCD? I don't know. I don't own an HD-TV, but have been reading up on them as I am planning to buy one next year. If someone can shed some light on this it would be helpful.

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 12-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.
LS1Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

LED vs LCD...i looked at them side by side at walmart, both were the same size, and i think both were Vizio...i personally thought the regular LCD TV looked better. and thats what i ended up with. 26" at that time, now i have a 37", both vizio

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
ryanfx
King of Free

it's just more vivid colors to fake a more interesting picture. Resolution is the same. You need a new TV because your old standard one sucks.
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfx View Post
it's just more vivid colors to fake a more interesting picture. Resolution is the same. You need a new TV because your old standard one sucks.

my standard tv from 1995 puts out the same picture as any hdtv. i honestly dont see the difference in them after shopping for one this season. i'll keep my 25'' tube tv until it breaks. 15 years and counting. thats one hell of a shelf life
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Knipps

Have you watched an HD broadcast? It's night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knipps View Post
Have you watched an HD broadcast? It's night and day.

yup this year ive watched a few at my buddies house. i honestly didnt see a real difference. after looking at the ''good'' tv's and people saying not to get the cheap ones on black friday i've come to the conclusion that 1500 bucks for ''hdtv'' isnt worth it...especially when i already have a flawlessly functioning tv.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
JerzLT1

LED back lit LCDs have a higher contrast ratio because they allow for localized lighting (you can dim some of the LEDs to make the picture darker in areas that need it). If you think the colors are fake and too vivid its because the TV needs to be calibrated. you can have Bestbuy or any other AV service do it or you can look for approximate settings online and try it yourself. Been through tons of training for this stuff and it really makes a difference. your TV color settings are in over drive to grab your attention in the store.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
yup this year ive watched a few at my buddies house. i honestly didnt see a real difference. after looking at the ''good'' tv's and people saying not to get the cheap ones on black friday i've come to the conclusion that 1500 bucks for ''hdtv'' isnt worth it...especially when i already have a flawlessly functioning tv.
Maybe it's just your goofy eyes.....I could see a night and day difference between my old CRT TV and either my (now broken) Toshiba DLP and my Samsung LCD. Neither HD model is anything fancy, both are 3+ years old, only 720p.

I will say that the standard def. picture on the 27" Sony Wega flat screen CRT I have in my bedroom now is just as good or better than watching a standard def. broadcast on my 32" Samsung LCD. But switch to an HD broadcast or even a DVD that is upconverted to 720p and the difference is extremely noticeable. My DLP did not have as much of a noticeable difference between standard and HD broadcasts.

Also, you can't generalize cheap / good TVs that easily. My brother bought a really nice Panasonic Viera 42" plasma for a screaming deal on black friday a couple years ago. You just have to watch specs / reviews and know what you are looking for. You certainly don't have to spend $1500 to get a nice HDTV - there are plenty to be found for under $1,000 (depending on what size(s) you are looking at).

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
afclubkid21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
You certainly don't have to spend $1500 to get a nice HDTV - there are plenty to be found for under $1,000 (depending on what size(s) you are looking at).

- Justin
Walmart has 42" Sharp 1080P LCD tvs for under $800.

Red 98 Z28
TGMS A4, 224 Cammed LQ9, Borla Catback, MSD wires, Summit 3.73 gears
12.06 @ 113.04 mph 1.66 60 ft
afclubkid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
MonmouthCtyAntz

Quote:
my standard tv from 1995 puts out the same picture as any hdtv. i honestly dont see the difference in them after shopping for one this season. i'll keep my 25'' tube tv until it breaks. 15 years and counting. thats one hell of a shelf life
Must be you...I have a 720p 32in. Emerson and can definitely tell a difference. PS3 games, blu rays and HD cable look great.Cant wait til I get a bigger 1080 w/ an HDMI wire.

AI HCR 241's , Lunati 223/236 .615/.626 114+2 , Full Exhaust , Ported Fast 92 , Ported LS2 TB , Veraram , 85mm MAF , Circle D 4000 , 3.42's , GTP 36# , CSP Dyno tune. More on the way
420 HP/367 TQ on a Unlocked Converter & still climbing.

Last edited by MonmouthCtyAntz; 12-19-2010 at 10:45 AM.
MonmouthCtyAntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
ryanfx
King of Free

Quote:
Then you're either doing it wrong, have severely hindered eyesight, or don't know what's actually happening. Standard broadcast is 640x480 (307,200 pixels) versus 1920X1080 (2,073,600 pixels) for HD.

What's most likely happening is that your converter / cable box is downsizing any potential HD images to standard resolution to fit your screen. Just because it looks the same on your old TV doesn't mean it will look that way on a nice new TV.
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfx View Post
Then you're either doing it wrong, have severely hindered eyesight, or don't know what's actually happening.

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
NastyEllEssWon

lol i just dont notice a difference. i have perfect eyesight and its just nothing noticable in my own opinion. its like the difference between blu ray and dvd....i dont see any difference in that either. i guess im just not picky about these things.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge