Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
2kblackgtp

Anybody make their own sushi?

Hey, me and my girlfriend have been talking about trying to make our own sushi for a few months, so one of the things i got her for christmas was a sushi making kit(Sushi Magic, it got the highest reviews on amazon) with a big sushi book(The complete book of sushi or something). I am trying to find a good market in the area that carries good fish to use for sushi(obviously shop rite is not a good choice and asian markets are hard to judge, and ordering online is more expensive than just going to get sushi), also looking for any tips. We're going to start off easy with the cooked and crab rolls, but want to eventually get into raw food.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Ive never had Rob... Invite me over. Haha.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp View Post
Hey, me and my girlfriend have been talking about trying to make our own sushi for a few months, so one of the things i got her for christmas was a sushi making kit(Sushi Magic, it got the highest reviews on amazon) with a big sushi book(The complete book of sushi or something). I am trying to find a good market in the area that carries good fish to use for sushi(obviously shop rite is not a good choice and asian markets are hard to judge, and ordering online is more expensive than just going to get sushi), also looking for any tips. We're going to start off easy with the cooked and crab rolls, but want to eventually get into raw food.
I have. I went to an Asian market to buy my stuff. Get good rice. The sushi chef I bought to said he buys his stuff at shop-rite.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
2kblackgtp

Really? Thats surprising. As far as all the supermarkets go, i figured shop rite was the best for that but didnt expect that to be the top choice overall
Old 12-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Blacdout96

Yeah, Shop Rite has Sushi rice, don't get long grain or anything, I always use Sushi Rice.

Philly ROll FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp View Post
Really? Thats surprising. As far as all the supermarkets go, i figured shop rite was the best for that but didnt expect that to be the top choice overall
Actually, if you have a Wegman's nearby that would be best. I think there's one in Lawrenceville.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
2kblackgtp

Well, with all the snow today, I ended up going to the asian market down the street from me and picked up a 2 lb salmon which they filleted on the spot. I checked it for color and smell and checked the eyes for cloudiness and the gills for pinkness. Me and the girlfriend made california rolls to start, followed by Salmon and avocado and philly rolls. It came out awesome as far as we were concerned! Been about 3 hours since we ate and I'm not pukign and ****ting simultaneously yet so I think we made out pretty well. We started out pretty simple but next time we are going to try to replicate some of our favorites from the sushi joints we go to often.

Last edited by 2kblackgtp; 12-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.
2kblackgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
Knipps

FYI color in salmon means nothing. Has 0 effect on taste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Squirrel
13 Second Club

did the kit come with a rice cooker?... that was the biggest pain in the ass when making sushi, but IMO its worth the hassle
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
Blacdout96

2K, I see your in North brunswick, not sure how far you are from Seton hall, but down the street from them there is an all you can eat sushi for 20 bucks. how good is it? I live near Atlantic City, and I still drive all the way up there for it. the rolls are THICK, and the Volcano Roll is so FTW, I can't describe it. I believe the place is called Harusame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 12-28-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
2kblackgtp

kit didnt come with a rice cooker, I wanted to buy one but put it off. Would have cut the time it took to make it in half. I think I'm gonna buy one this weekend. I'm about 45 minutes from seton hall. There is however a place down the road from me in princeton called sushi palace that is also $20 for all you can eat, made to order, and is pretty amazing. I may need to try the place you mentioned though next time i'm around there
Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I'll have to try out Sushi Palace. At work we always get take out from Teriyaki Boy in the food court at Forrestal Village since we're right across the street. They have really good teriyaki and tempura dishes too.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #13
ShitOnWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I'll have to try out Sushi Palace. At work we always get take out from Teriyaki Boy in the food court at Forrestal Village since we're right across the street. They have really good teriyaki and tempura dishes too.

- Justin
Boon, myself, and a number of friends have gone to Sushi Palace in Edison (same owners I believe) many times. It's awesome.

SushiX in Ridgewood does the same thing, and it's closer, so we've been going there as of late. But Sushi Palace is very good.
ShitOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge