Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Thumbs down Ticket Question - not speeding

So yesterday I was headed back to school via rt 80 around 1pm. I was going along pretty much the speed limit (65ish) with like 1 or 2 other cars. NJSP came speeding up on my left and slowed down just ahead of me. I knew he was going to pull me over, I forgot to put my license plate up by accident (show-n-go).

Pulls behind me and I get over ... To avoid ball-busting I quickly ripped my radar off the windshield (above rearview mirror) and the mount and stuck the wire in the headliner out of view and put the radar w/ mount in the center console. Also note my radar never went off between him passing me and me pulling to the side. As far as you could tell no radar was present.

So he asked my what he pulled me over for and I said I don't believe speeding. He said your license plate is missing up front, I said it probably is down and explained nicely what it is and how it works. He asked if it was controlled from inside and I said no. He said nothing more and walked back to his car.

30 mins later he comes back and hands me a written warning for the license plate. Ok, I understand mistakes happen and I screwed up. What I don't understand is:

A) How he knew I had a radar if he couldn't see it (I know he can detect them, but as far as where it was located unless he can see that well from a distance how could he see it on the windshield?)

B) How he can tell me he pulled me over for a missing license plate, and come back with a ticket for 'obstruction of view' without even telling me that ...

NJSP is scum to me as is the state of NJ. Obviously they are dieing for money. There are far more important things to control like actual speeders. I KNOW he profiled me out based on young driver, black Z28 camaro, and girl friend in passenger seat. No question.

Is there anything I can do? Or am I screwed with the $54 fine ...

I asked the cop how much the ticket was and he said $45 ? Maybe he is dyslexic?
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post
So yesterday I was headed back to school via rt 80 around 1pm. I was going along pretty much the speed limit (65ish) with like 1 or 2 other cars. NJSP came speeding up on my left and slowed down just ahead of me. I knew he was going to pull me over, I forgot to put my license plate up by accident (show-n-go).

Pulls behind me and I get over ... To avoid ball-busting I quickly ripped my radar off the windshield (above rearview mirror) and the mount and stuck the wire in the headliner out of view and put the radar w/ mount in the center console. Also note my radar never went off between him passing me and me pulling to the side. As far as you could tell no radar was present.

So he asked my what he pulled me over for and I said I don't believe speeding. He said your license plate is missing up front, I said it probably is down and explained nicely what it is and how it works. He asked if it was controlled from inside and I said no. He said nothing more and walked back to his car.

30 mins later he comes back and hands me a written warning for the license plate. Ok, I understand mistakes happen and I screwed up. What I don't understand is:

A) How he knew I had a radar if he couldn't see it (I know he can detect them, but as far as where it was located unless he can see that well from a distance how could he see it on the windshield?)

B) How he can tell me he pulled me over for a missing license plate, and come back with a ticket for 'obstruction of view' without even telling me that ...

NJSP is scum to me as is the state of NJ. Obviously they are dieing for money. There are far more important things to control like actual speeders. I KNOW he profiled me out based on young driver, black Z28 camaro, and girl friend in passenger seat. No question.

Is there anything I can do? Or am I screwed with the $54 fine ...

I asked the cop how much the ticket was and he said $45 ? Maybe he is dyslexic?
You didn't say he mentioned about the radar detector, but I assume after reading your whole post that he claimed you had a radar detector and said it was an obstruction of view?

not sure about part B.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM

Last edited by Anti_Rice_Guy; 03-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Mike
BadMod

another young arrogant tough guy thinking the police are scum... hurray njfboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I am confused, you admit you lacked a front plate... which as we all know, is illegal and a ticket able offense in NJ, and you got caught for it.

Issue is?

I pay more than that for parking tickets, stop whining.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
I am confused, you admit you lacked a front plate... which as we all know, is illegal and a ticket able offense in NJ, and you got caught for it.

Issue is?

I pay more than that for parking tickets, stop whining.
he got a warning for that, he got a ticket for having a radar detector which is also illegal in nj, he just forgot to mention that in the story of the nazi police

Quote:
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

So you broke the law twice, got dinged for one of the two things and he's scum for it?

What is the problem? Oh, and where were you when this happened (near what town)?

Plenty of people get tickets for things other than what they were pulled over for. A great example is the seat belt tickets that people get instead of a speeding ticket.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Blacdout96

no point's- no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Um what? Did you get a warning or a ticket?

I never had an issue with a trooper, ever. Local guys from time to time, but never a trooper. And I tickets in my red civic, never my black trans am.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

So you honestly don't think the officer could see you pull off your radar detector? What else could you messing with in that area? Adjusting your rear view mirror..?

I suppose the rules shouldn't apply to you.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
2kblackgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
he got a warning for that, he got a ticket for having a radar detector which is also illegal in nj, he just forgot to mention that in the story of the nazi police
Where did you hear they are illegal in Jersey? His Z28 is not a commercial vehicle, and afaik a radar detector is only illegal in a passenger vehicle in DC and in virginia. Care to enlighten me?

To the OP, sucks you got hit with a ticket for obstruction of view, where exactly on your window was it? I keep my radar detector above the rear view to the driver side, where the tint strip is, they cant ticket for obstruction of view if its less than 4 inches below the top of the windshield IIRC. Unfortunately, pulling your radar detector down might be what screwed you if you had it placed along the tint strip.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Um what? Did you get a warning or a ticket?
Warning for front plate, ticket for obstruction of view.

Not everyone's perfect but seems to me like the cop did nothing wrong and in fact cut you a break. I know how frustrating it is to get pulled over for little things when there are far worse problems going on around you, but you were in the wrong.

Mike, I didn't know radar detectors were illegal in NJ....overall or just because it blocked his vision?
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

radars are not illegal in NJ, ive been stopped a few times, and ive had my radar in clear view, one time it was still beeping while i was talking to him. granted depending on the radar placement he can slap you with a obstruction ticket. are obstuction of view tickets the same as no plate? if its cheaper im thinking maybe he cut you a break.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
NastyEllEssWon

no front plate tickets cost more than obstruction of view. he was doing you a favor.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
maroman88
12 Second Club

97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
Lt1_8U

Quote:
another young arrogant tough guy thinking the police are scum... hurray njfboa
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
Quote:
New Jersey Radar and Laser Jammer laws
Radar laser detectors and laser jammers are legal to own and operate in passenger vehicles in the state of New Jersey.
Currently the only state that it is illegal to operate a radar detector is Virginia and Washington D.C.
Laser jammers are illegal to operate in the states of: Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado and Washington DC.
Radar jammers are illegal to own and/or operate in all 50 states per the Federal Communications Commission.
Radar detectors are also illegal in commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds in all fifty states, per Title 49 Transportation Act.
Radar detectors are also illegal to operate on any military base.
I know you don't like anyone that talks down about the police so I really don't care what you call me or what irrelevant information you post. But FYI they are legal to own and operate under certain conditions as stated above.

Not all cops are bad. I know some great local guys and some of my relatives are a part of the force too. State cops on the other hand have a reputation they never fail to live up to.

I asked a pretty simple question. Can a cop write you a ticket without first telling you what the problem is? Dont tell me Im arrogant, uneducated, whiner, criminal, terrible person etc. That does not answer anything.

Im not refering to a 'well you were speeding so I'll let you off with just a [insert no point ticket] instead'. Thats not the case.

more of

'heres a warning for the license plate I told you about and you acknowledged is missing. Also heres one for a tail light out, bald tires, loud exhaust that you weren't aware about until just now after Im done writing these tickets' sort of thing.

does that make any sense?
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

Old 03-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #17
BonzoHansen
Admin.

"Can a cop write you a ticket without first telling you what the problem is?" But YES they can They are under no obligation to chit chat about it first.

I just think it’s weak that the guy gives you the cheaper ticket and you call him names. You broke the law with the plate, no question. He does favor, you bad mouth. Nice.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 03-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #18
Mike
BadMod

it is ILLEGAL to have things in your windshield... you have a radar detector in your windshield, therefore your radar detector is illegal/

as for the getting a ticket without being told about it... do they search you out before they stick a parking ticket under your wiper?

Quote:

Last edited by Mike; 03-15-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #19
jts98z28

njsp isnt scum neither is any regular pd, there might be a few officers here andthere that are a bit of a tool(which it doesnt seem like this coop was at all) but the majority of them are actually pretty good people, just cause he did his job doesnt make him scum...
Old 03-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
"Can a cop write you a ticket without first telling you what the problem is?" But YES they can They are under no obligation to chit chat about it first.

I just think it’s weak that the guy gives you the cheaper ticket and you call him names. You broke the law with the plate, no question. He does favor, you bad mouth. Nice.
A cop can ask for your license, reg, and ins, walk away, walk back with a ticket, and then walk away again without saying anything except "license and registration please".
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:

Thank you. I thought it they were required to tell you everything. That's all I wanted to know, I couldn't find anything relevant enough online.

He didn't really do me a favor. He wrote me up for the plate with a warning then put a fine on top. This would be my first time being pulled over too.

And yeah I don't think highly of hypocrites. I have seen more than my share of cops speed (like this guy), run red lights, illegal u-turns etc. They are not above the law or exempt.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #22
Anti_Rice_Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
it is ILLEGAL to have things in your windshield... you have a radar detector in your windshield, therefore your radar detector is illegal
That's different.

Ours are mounted just under the inspection sticker which blocks the windshield anyway.
Team FARM
Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
no front plate tickets cost more than obstruction of view. he was doing you a favor.
Negative. Both $54

Quote:
dumbass.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
2kblackgtp

Quote:
it is ILLEGAL to have things in your windshield... you have a radar detector in your windshield, therefore your radar detector is illegal/

as for the getting a ticket without being told about it... do they search you out before they stick a parking ticket under your wiper?

Correct me if I'm wrong, isnt that anywhere but the top couple inches of the tint strip(Hence why the tint strip is legal)? Cause otherwise, radar detector, ezpass, gps, police lights,cameras, etc would all be illegal, correct?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #25
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, isnt that anywhere but the top couple inches of the tint strip(Hence why the tint strip is legal)? Cause otherwise, radar detector, ezpass, gps, police lights,cameras, etc would all be illegal, correct?
Exactly as per the law...

Quote:
39:3-74. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with cleaners
Every motor vehicle having a windshield shall be equipped with at least one device in good working order for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield so as to provide clear vision for the driver, and all such devices shall be so constructed and installed as to be operated or controlled by the driver.

No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, sticker or other non-transparent material upon the front windshield, wings, deflectors, side shields, corner lights adjoining windshield or front side windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other article required to be so displayed by statute or by regulations of the commissioner.

No person shall drive any vehicle so constructed, equipped or loaded as to unduly interfere with the driver's vision to the front and to the sides.

Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge