Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
My94T/A

MSD Blaster coil in 94 T/A

Hi, I have a 94 T/A and the car still has the original coil with 120k on the clock. So I got a MSD blaster coil, but now when I was talking to a buddy of mine he was like that I just can't change the old coil with this MSD coil. Because it's more powerful and I need to change the plug wires and the coil wires. Is there any truth to this? I know lot of you guys out there running this coil so what do you guys think? All the help is greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

SOLD 7-30-05
My94T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

The blaster coil isnt that much different then the stock coil to tell you the truth .... i didnt notice a difference ... i guess you can run your gap on your plugs about .010 higher if you wanted.

I dont believe that it justifies larger plug wires.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I just ordered the MSD Cap & Rotor, is that the same thing? Or are we talking about a blaster box?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
My94T/A

I am talking about just a MSD blaster coil for Ignition. So it's not really necessary to change the coil wire and the plug wires.

SOLD 7-30-05
Old 05-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Fasterthanyou

The coil and ingition modules are matched together. If you just replace one or the other things might not work very well at ALL. Also, the coils don't go bad. They are nothing more than wound up wire. Physical damage or running high amps through them till the wire melts together is the ONLY way to damage a coil. Spark plugs, wires, and cap are the only items that would ever need replacing under normal conditions.
A bad coil would be a non start and a bad connector would be a cut in and out. So I advise replacing the ignition module if you're going to replace the coil so that they're matched.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
My94T/A

So since it's a MSD coil, should I just get a MSD ignition module and does MSD make them. I looked for them and just found the MSD ignition box.

SOLD 7-30-05
Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
My94T/A

Also does anyone know where I can get a Ignition Module that would match the MSD blaster coil. And do I need to replace the plug wires and coil wires?? Thank you guys for all the help.

SOLD 7-30-05
Old 05-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
My94T/A

Anybody??

SOLD 7-30-05
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM   #9
Fasterthanyou

I really don't know what the part number is for the MSD ignition module. All I know is they've got one. Call up the tech support and ask them about the module, I'm sure they'll have a part number for it.
Again, I don't see any point in upgrading a part that doesn't wear out so I don't have experience with this. I'm just saying that I DO know that there have been tests of mismatched coil/modules and they've made a big difference.
The general rule is higher (not hotter) voltage coils require thicker plug wires. The plugs themselves depend mostly on the engine and not the spark energy.
There are only 2 items to spark, voltage and amps. Some coils have too low fo a resistance and will burn out an ignition module. The aftermarket usually does this so that you'll buy their module a couple months after their coil, lol... it's a cycle of lies. If you want better spark don't bother upgrading the coil/module, go straight for an MSD ignition with a STOCK coil and or get a CNP kit. Those are real upgrades that make a big difference.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning